“Great location and property, needs some updates”

La Siesta Resort & Marina
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

After already being booked and then reading some bad reviews of La Siesta, my wife and I were a little worried about what to expect. We just got back from a great, relaxing few days in Islamorada. The property was amazing and the staff was excellent. We rented a beachfront cottage and we really liked it. Although it was not the updated one, the previously reviews mentioned stained carpets and we found all the carpeting replaced with a new type of flooring. It seemed like they were replacing all the carpeting in all units while we were there. Although the kitchen, bathroom and couch were in need of updating, we loved our location and really enjoyed sitting outside in the breeze any time of the day. We used the kayaks they provided and loved it!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and were upset to see people review this place negatively. This is the first time I have ever reviewed any hotel in my life and wanted people to know that La Siesta is a nice place. As long as you go into realizing it is not brand new, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here three nights in april. The hotel grounds are beautiful. New paint and fresh plants everywhere. Beautiful pool. Views like nowhere else. The room was updated as well and really spacious. Unfortunately housekeeping left something to be desired. Breakfast is complimentary and was as expected. Kayaks are loaned out by the hotel, nice!
Overall a nice experience.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed your time here with us! We hope that you will stay with us next time.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Overall - very nice! The pros: The rooms are spacious. It's great to have a kitchen and patio. The pool is well maintained and it was easy to get a lounge chair there. Breakfast was complimentary (and standard continental fare) and parking is free. The cons: The kitchens aren't stocked well with enough dishes, pots, etc. The housekeeping isn't terrific (sand still on floor, etc.). There is no real beach - but this is common in Islamorada.

Room Tip: Having a room on the ground floor are great - the patios are well furnished and spacious.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Originally scheduled to stay only two night, but stopped in on our way to Kew West to see if we could extend another night…No problems…We selected the Beach Front Cottage…Its own little building right on the Beach Kitchenette…Fridge, Stove Microwave Bed Room and Sitting Room with Couch…Walk out the slider, across a small patio and right onto the sand….Unit was a bit dated, but they are reportedly in the process of upgrading as they go. Staff everywhere, and super kind and courteous….Continental Breakfast by the pool each morning. Spent an evening with a few drinks in the pool/hot tub….This part of the Keys is not a huge party area…but while there caught some great sunsets….and really just relaxed after a few LONG nights in Key West. Wife is telling me we’re heading back for a week…Enjoy.

Room Tip: Gotta Love the Beachfront Cottages...
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at La Siesta 3/26/13 to 3/31/13. We rented a 2 bedroom ocean view suite. I booked online in January. We chose La Siesta because we are a family of 5 which really limits our hotel choices. I was very apprehensive about staying here because of the mixed reviews but decided to just go for it.

The pros:
Grounds are beautiful. It is obvious the groundskeeper takes much pride in his work. I saw him several times during our visit. Loved the hammocks and multiple benches and chaise lounges to enjoy all of the views.
Great pool. Love the zero entry. Kids enjoyed volleyball and basketball at the pool. Furniture at the pool was nice too.
Front desk staff (especially Meredith) were very friendly. Meredith checked us in and gave us suggestions regarding restaurants and activities.
Bathroom, kitchen and bedding were clean.
Enjoyed the use of fishing rods. Really wanted to use the kayaks but it was too windy on the day we had planned.

The cons:
Just like many people have noted, our suite was extremely outdated. Kitchen and bath have not been updated in 20+ years. Kitchen amenities were sparse. Bathrooms were small (virtually no counterspace.)
And the worst part - carpeting and couch are disgusting. Very filthy and old. I'm sure it is difficult to maintain carpeting in a resort like this (where people are walking in sand, swimming, fishing, etc.) but this is exactly why most waterfront resorts have tile. We wore our flip flops the entire time we were there and we really didn't spend much time sitting on the couch. We were too busy enjoying the keys to sit inside.

Bottom line - if La Siesta rooms were updated, I would stay there again in a heart beat and would not hesitate to give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 205.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. We strive for better and sometimes we miss the mark. We are currenty installing new carpet in all the rooms and we will have new furniture in the rooms before the end of May. I hope that you will give us an opportunity to fix what we missed during your last stay.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked a beachfront cottage at La Siesta for my wife and I for March 16-23. rather than book online, I called the hotel's "Reservations" number. It became immediately clear to me that the person on the phone was not located on the property, which she confirmed when I asked her that very question. I didn't feel comfortable making a reservation with an outside company, so I attempted to call the hotel directly. I tried calling at least 10 times, at various times throughout the day. No answer. Ever. Just like many of the reviews stated. That concerned me.

Unfortunately, it seemed to be a busy week in the Keys, and I was having a very hard time finding a hotel with availability for the entire week, and I was afraid if i waited any longer to book a room, we would be out of luck. So I called La Siesta directly again. No answer. Again. Then I called the reservations number. I requested Room 101, based upon a review that I read on this site, which stated that Room 101 is the renovated cottage that is shown on La Siesta's website. The person on the phone told me that she would put a note on the booking, and that someone from the hotel would contact me about the request. A week later, when no one contacted me, I sent the hotel an email regarding my request. I never received a reply. In hindsight, I should have been more concerned about my inability to communicate with the hotel. It was a clear indicator of things to come...

We arrived at the hotel on Saturday afternoon. I was handed a key for Room 102. When I told the woman behind the desk that we had requested Room 101, twice, I was told that Room 101 had been booked since September of last year. I then asked her if the other cottages were just as nice. "Of course," she said. I don't understand why she would say that, knowing that we were just minutes from learning that her statement wasn't even close to the truth.

In a nutshell, the cottage was the WORST hotel room my wife and I have EVER had the misfortune to experience. It was SO bad, in fact, that I don't know where to begin. The room clearly hasn't been updated in AT LEAST 20 years, and probably longer. Not usually a big deal in the Keys, where most properties are dated. But even dated properties perform some upkeep! Not at La Siesta! The room was generally musty. The carpet was ripped. The tile was chipped. The fridge was dented. The kitchen was sticky and dirty. The bathroom was HORRIBLE. I don't have words to describe how dirty the tile in the bathroom was. The bathroom mirror was chipped and stained. The toilet was wedged in the corner, against a towel rack, and the shower had nothing but an old vinyl liner to keep the water out of the rest of the bathroom.

I went outside to look at Room 101, which was right next door. Then I walked past the rest of the cottages. It was clear that unit 101 is the ONLY renovated cottage. Even the patio furniture is different! Don't be fooled by the photos on the website!!! Only ONE cottage looks like that!

My wife and I decided to go out for a sunset drink while we decided what to do. We called a number of area resorts. All were either booked, or ridiculously expensive (Cheeca Lodge). When we returned to la Siesta, we were resigned to just tough it out, and make the best of it. We turned on all of the lights in the room, and it only looked worse. Then I flipped the comforter back. The entire underside of the thing was stained. That was it. I went right to the front desk and told the same girl that we were leaving, and that we were not paying for even one night. She resisted, stating that we had already been there all afternoon, and would have to pay for at least one night. I told her there was NO WAY we were paying for that room. She eventually credited my card, claiming that the owner of the hotel might dock her pay for giving us our money back. Yeah right.

Luckily, the Hampton Inn, almost right next door, had a vacant suite for that night, and we ended up staying there the entire week. Stay there. Stay anywhere else. I honestly don't know HOW someone could post a favorable review of the place. Maybe the regular rooms are nicer? I only know what I saw. Granted the grounds are pretty. But can't you say that for almost ANYWHERE in the Keys??? It's on the water! Of course it's nice! The pool area looked nice, too. As a matter of fact, the grounds are the only reason I didn't give La Siesta a "Terrible" rating. There is simply NO EXCUSE for charging over $300 a night for what can only be accurately described as, for lack of a better term, "Grossness."

2  Thank morassra
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent two nights at La Siesta this past week (3/10-3/12) and it was the best place we stayed in Florida. I was surprised at the size of our room (more like apartment) the wrap around balcony was fabulous!!! It was so quiet and quaint. If you are looking for friendly staff and quiet time this is the place! The unit we stayed in was dated but I found it charming. The only thing that was missing from the room was a coffee maker, I would have liked to had one (but you can get coffee by the pool at breakfast) I would absolutely stay here again and again!