“Great Place for a Picnic”

Indian Key State Historic Site
Book In Advance
More Info
$123.65*
and up
Eco-Adventure and Snorkel Cruise
Ranked #14 of 61 things to do in Islamorada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love the history and the seclusion but most of all I like the relative absence of bugs. I rented a power boat at Robbie's Marina and did Lignum Vitae Key and Indian Key in one morning. I spent a grand total of 10 minutes on Lignum Vitae as the mosquitos were swarming in ways reminiscent of that scene from "The African Queen." I then headed to Indian Key and guess what? No bugs! Those ghost town pioneers must have known what they were doing because no standing water equals no mosquitos. It's fun trying to imagine what life must have been like here on such a small island, in such seclusion with no electricity or conveniences. Whenever you go you can be pretty sure you'll have to whole island to yourself. Definitely worth the effort to get there.

There are newer reviews for Indian Key State Historic Site

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We rented kayaks and it took us about 30 minutes to get there from the landing site off of Route 1. The island is walkable, since it was inhabited back in 1840s. Best Part....We were the only people on the island for the whole time we were there! I would recommend bringing a bathing suite and packing lunch. There is a little cove that kayaks can be dropped off at and it's possible to swim there as well. Don't forget to bring swimming shoes as the sea bottom in the Keys can be a little mucky!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We own our Kayaks so as we put in at Robbies Marina it cost us $5 each to put in and you pay at the Kayak Shak...which of coarse you can also rent single and tandem Kayaks... The trip to the island in about 3/4 mile and going into the wind and current is a tad challenging...great excerise...once we landed on the island we took a leisure walk around reading all the history markers...you will find on the pier a brochure which gives you in short the history of the people who had lived there...personally I tend to find history boring, but this I found interesting because with the story of the island I could imagine what it may have been like to live there 200 years ago. This is a must do....

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We cruised around the islands on a charter. For fun we stopped here for a quick walk around. It only takes a few minutes to see the entire island. It is interesting to read about the history and see the sites. I wouldn't plan a day just to go there, but a quick 10 minute stop on the way out or back is a fun way to stretch your legs. And, how many times can you say that you've been to a deserted island?

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We kayaked out to Indian Key from Robbies Marina with our 2 young boys. The key is well maintained with informative signs, clear walkways and a informational map and brochure at the dock. The Key is very pleasant to walk around and the coral shores are fun to explore. The waters around the Key are teeming with rays, fish, sharks, jelly fish, lobsters and crabs that you can see as you paddle around. We had a ball!!

1  Thank hjk1962