“Beautiful, fun and free!”
Review of Anne's Beach

Anne's Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Free to park and explore. Shallow flats you can walk in and look for sea life. Water shoes recommended. Only encountered one piece of garbage (previous reviewers saw a lot). Went in the morning -8:30ish- so it was almost deserted!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I stopped at Mile Marker 73 en route to Key West just this month. It was simply beautiful, the colors, the warmth of the water and the ease that it was just off US-1. To enjoy as we did, be sure to hit it at low tide. Spent maybe less than an hour there just floating around and taking pictures. It was a nice spot to stop on our journey. On our way back out, we saw the same place at high tide and it wasn't the same at all. It appeared much deeper and not the gradual shallow sands to sea that we experienced just a couple days earlier, so definately hit it at low tide if you can. Enjoy!

2  Thank photocat22
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Firstly I did not realize the beaches of the keys were so narrow, small and poorly signposted. This one was signposted so went. Easy to find, there is a boarded walkway, gazebos and toilets. The water was warm but there is barely any room to sit out on the beach. Nice place to stop off and eat a sandwich or something. As someone used to European and mainland Florida beaches the size of the beach is really disappointing. However the beauty is far greater than those mainland beaches and indeed many european too. My biggest problem is the grasses in the water; I've seen too many nature shows to think there would be gators in there! So stayed largely on the land and even then still was wary. I know; not cool. But right off main road; about half way down the keys, plenty of placed to find food on islamorada and bettered only by Bahia Honda further on. Picturesque.

1  Thank Antony T
Reviewed March 28, 2011

What a wonderful day we had at Annies Beach. It is not actually a beach, the Keys do not really have beaches and that is what makes it special. The Sand bar trail is truely unique and very enjoyable. You can walk 1/2 mile out into the ocean and the water is around your waist. Kids can play without worries , its safe and the adults can sunbathe and cookout in the picnic huts. We were just stopping by and ended up staying 4 hours. Just a great, free, relaxing spot.. We will be regulars.

2  Thank MikeTcanes
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This beach has so much potential! Unfourtunately, the amount of trash that has washed up is really hard to overlook for a nature-lover like myself.
The Good: Really neat covered picnic spots along the trail look out on the ocean. Brushy areas were a great spot to birdwatch for fall warblers. Bazillions of tiny little crabs were fun to watch. Found about five very small man-of-war jellyfish tangled in the seagrass on the shore. They were fun to look at. The shore line isn't so much a sandy beach as a bleached-out potter's clay moonscape. It was such a novelty for this girl who is used to the wide sandy beaches of the Gulf that I kind of liked it. (Just be careful not to slip... I'm serious, it's like wet potter's clay.) Got to watch people kite-surfing. That was fun.
The Bad: Towels, bottles, shoes, lighters, bags... I had trouble framing many of my photos to not include garbage. The bathrooms are pretty dingy and broken down but are better than no bathrooms at all. Road noise was a bummer and added to the trash, it kept the picnic spots from being the coolest I had ever seen. Oh, and watch out for the sucking mud. There are spots both in and out of the water that will easily pull your shoe off.
Also: I read some reviews saying there was a sandbar that went way out into the sea like an underwater sidewalk. Now it is quite possible I just missed it, but I would describe the situation more as a rolling plain of sea grass punctuated by not-totally-interconnected sandy flats that were at least thigh deep.