“Loved the food at Uncles”
Review of Uncle's Restaurant - CLOSED

Uncle's Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2006

3 families traveled to islamorada the last week in March, 2006. Our resort recommended Uncles and we were not disappointed. We were a large group of 13, so they asked us to come early. We have a 6'o'clock reservation. They were not busy. Nice atmosphere, heaters when its' cold. It was not. My daughter and I ordered shrimp and scallops w/ pasta. After ordering our waitress came back and told us that the scallops had not come in that day, could she substitute lobster instead. Same price!! wow-it was awesome. My husband had the grouper and others had mahi mahi. It was outstanding. Even the kids had great meals.
Enjoy! We did!

3  Thank audChicago_IL

A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We went to Islamorada for a long weekend in January 2006. After doing extensive research on restaurants, we picked Uncles because it is supposedly known for its bouillabaisse.

The evening started lovely. We had drinks and appetizers which were quite good along with the salad.

Then our entrees came. My partner had ordered the bouillabaisse. The fish and lobster was dried out and there was "grit" in the broth.

We brought it to the server's attention but he did not seem to do anything about it. We then asked for the Manager. After waiting over 20 minutes, the OWNER came over. By then, the busboy had already removed all our dishes as we planned to have a real meal elsewhere.

We informed the owner of the problem and asked that the charge for the dish ($45) be removed from the bill. He said no. We then said, well then have another one made that is not dried out and with grit. He refused.

He maintained a pompous attitude the entire time claiming there is nothing wrong with his food. He appeared more interested in making sure that "locals" were happy and attended to than to satisfy a customer that may be an occasional visitor.

When the bill came, it still included the bouillabaisse. When I signed the Master Card charge slip, I drew a line through the $180 charge and reduced it to $140 to compensate. However, when I got my charge card statement and contested the $180 charge, Master Card informed me that it doesn't matter what you write on the charge slip, the computer amount is what is valid.

As you can see by the fact that we were willing to pay $140, we were not out to stiff the restaurant. We just wanted what we were paying for.....an edible entree for $45.

I am posting this in hopes that Uncles will realize a loss of income far in excess of the $45 it would have taken to keep us a happy patron.

I am sure that you work hard for your money like I do. Why spend it at a place that doesn't appreciate your business or not even be assured of a good meal for the prices that you are paying??????????

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2006

We stayed on Islamorada a month and had a chance to try all the restaurants. Uncle's was the hands down favorite for a nice evening out. A little expensive, maybe, but not considering the quality of the food, and they have a reasonable wine list and simply outstanding food and even better service. The service was incredibly gracious, prompt, and well-informed. Far, far more atmospheric to sit outside - don't worry about the weather, they have heaters and fold-down flaps for when it is chilly.

3  Thank Loriken