“The tarpon are wild!”

Robbie's of Islamorada
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 6, 2007

The tarpon are not in a pen, they are completely wild and free to come and go. The pen is set up to feed them without feeding the pelicans. The tarpon are free to swim in and out of the pen at all times. The admission cost has always been only $1. It is great family fun!

5  Thank areckwerdt
Write a ReviewReviews (3,698)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"laid back"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed March 3, 2007

First of all the tarpon are not wild and are in a pen. Secondly, you have to pay (it was advertised as a free activity). So from the start I was disappointed. Did not get better than that. And, my husband was bit by a pelican. So it was not a pleasant experience.

3  Thank MMKoppes
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We always stop at Robbie's to feed the tarpon on our way home from the Keys - 2 or 3 times a year. It helps to have kids along who don't mind touching dead fish, but even if you just watch others toss the sardines to the tarpon, it's fun. It's like old Florida. We hope it stays around for a long time! Our kids want to be able to take their kids there someday.

4  Thank Michelle Q
Reviewed August 28, 2005

You have to go feed the tarpon at robbies! You can hang off the docks and feed them. There are thousands of wild fish that gather at this marina every day. It is the coolest thing i have ever seen. They will leap out of the water, and grap the food right out of your hand. It is very cheap for a cup of food... I think at the most it was 3 bucks. While you are there you can charter any type of activity. (If you are going fishing I recomment Capt. Joe) If not just swing by and feed the tarpon it's an amazing experiance you will not get at any other marina.

7  Thank ryansprincess
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 19, 2005

We had just finished an $85 ho-hum time at another major overpriced Islamorada family attraction not too far from here and we stopped here on the recommendation of a family guidebook to the Florida Keys. My husband was put off by the fishing shack appearance of the place but I was charmed. We paid $1 per person over 3 and $2 for a bucket of fish. You then go out to the end of the pier and throw the fish or dangle the fish off the end of the dock to feed the huge tarpons that hang out at the pier. May not sound like a big deal but my 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter loved it. My husband loved it too and I loved watching my kids giggle with delight. If you throw the fish bait in the water the tarpons jump at it to get it. If you dangle it off the dock they will take it from your fingers. A seagull swooped down and stole a fish in mid air and a pelican stole one from my sons hand while waiting for a picture to be taken. We were having so much fun we bought 4 more buckets of fish and stayed here about 1 hour. The other families seemed to be having fun too. This is an inexpensive stop that will delight the kids and I highly recommend Robbie's. There are a couple Robbie's locations, look for the one labled "tarpon feeding". Can be a little tricky to find so keep your eyes open.

24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member