“Great Day Trip Snorkeling”

Robbie's of Islamorada
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I booked a day trip snorkeling out of Robbie's with Capt John and First Mate Christian. It was a fantastic experience with beautiful clear waters and weather that couldn't have been better. We went to two different reefs and both were fantastic. We were able to view all sorts of tropical fish, turtles and quite a few barracudas. The price of admission was more than reasonable ($40) for a really unique and enjoyable time. John and Christian are true professionals who were very knowledgeable and went out of their way to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves. We will do this again when we return to Islamorada.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,911)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"jet ski"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I called in advance and inquired very specifically about the success they had been having for tarpon at this time of year (late April) and recently. I was told they were catching 4 tarpon on average per day, and we would be sure to get into fish. I have been on guided hunts and fishing trips before and know what to expect from a good guide. A good guide is friendly, personable, wants to get to know you and goes out of his way to try and find success. Our guide was Captain Chris. He was knowledgeable, but overall could have been a bit friendlier and didn't seem to try as hard as he could have. Example is that I went with my family and he never even introduced himself or asked their names. He did chat during the fishing, but a lot of the initial talk was at my prompting. We didn't get into the tarpon like I was led to believe we would and we sat in same spot for entire time and he didn't change things up much at all. We caught a lot of other types of fish, so it wasn't a bust. But we didn't get any tarpon and that is what I came for and the trip is not cheap. There was not apology or even seem to be much enthusiasm for the tip I left - despite getting none of the fish we were after. Overall - average and expensive sums it up pretty well.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The boat is clean and comfortable. The Captain and Mate are friendly and professional. We had our own gear, but the gear that comes with your charter fee looked clean and comfortable. I saw Mate Lynn disinfecting the snorkels between use. She was a good guide, giving basic instruction and keeping a sharp eye on everyone's safety & comfort. Our trip was cancelled on Friday due to high winds/low underwater visibility. We rescheduled for the next day with no problems. It's important to be a little flexible--this is really at the whim of the ocean. It's a 20 minute boat ride to 2 reefs. The first was a little deeper (12-15'), so it was hard for us more bouyant people to get down to the fish, but the clarity was great, and I saw lots of different kinds of reef fish. Fabulous. After an hour, we moved a short way over to a shallower reef. Again, tons of beautiful fish, lots of scary-looking barracuda, even a turtle on the drive back. A great experience, totally worth the money. It's easy even for people who are not strong swimmers. They sell chips, beer, water, but you can bring your own and there's no issue.
The one issue I had was the parking lot. It was crowded and disorganized, and I got bitten by a pit bull whose owner had inadequate control over a vicious dog (why was a vicious dog even in that crowd?). The dog reached out and mashed my hand. The man & dog got away while I was assessing & cleaning the injury. A member of the restaurant staff supplied first aid, and I was able to go on the tour, but the whole operation seems a little sketchy. Happy Cat charters is great, but I'm not so sure about Robbie's.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stopped here to check it out on a recommendation of my aunt, who lives in Miami and comes to Islamorada all the time. I am glad we did.

We came in and sat down for breakfast. Very decent breakfast menu, especially for kids. You have a view of the working marina and, causeway (US-1), but still the scenery is cool. Service was quick and the food was decent for what we paid.

The big draw here is the ability to go out on the dock and feed the tarpon, which we did. Since we ate at the restaurant, all we had to pay for was the fish to feed the tarpon.

We also took the 12:00 PM snorkel tour out of here, which was fun. Christian took us to two reefs off the coast of Islamorada where we were able to see sea turtles, barracuda, moray eels, and lots of tropical fish. The boat was clean and the equipment was all well maintained and in working order. All in all it was a great afternoon of fun.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Or family of 4 (2adults, 2kids-6 & 8) went on the Captain Michael for a fishing trip. TJ and his mates made the experience just wonderful for us! We all caught multiple fish and the crew helped us bait hooks and take fish off. They were right there to help and encourage the kids. They also pointed out the different kind of fish the kids were seeing the the clear water and made sure we all knew what was safe to bring in the boat and what was not. When we got back they cleaned and bagged our catch for us then made recommendations on where to have them prepared. Lazy Days style just down the way was fabulous!!! Highly recommend to all ages and skill level!