“Fabulous snorkeling and restaurant”

Robbie's of Islamorada
Ranked #12 of 159 Tours in Islamorada
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Waterloo, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fabulous snorkeling and restaurant”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Initially arrived for snorkeling, however the ocean was too choppy to go out. The customer service was truly amazing....for not just that day, but until we could get out on the Happy Cat. In the meantime, we fed the tarpon, shrieking while they grabbed the bait out of our hands, had a terrific fresh seafood lunch...shopped the quirky stalls, and then did come back when the weather suited, which was our last day in the keys. Had a fabulous breakfast, and then off we went.

Having snorkeled previously, I had read other reviews that this was not to be missed. Correct. The reefs around the Alligator lighthouse proved to be a once in a lifetime experience. Truly spectacular, nevermind the uber friendly crew on board.

Highly recommend for a terrific outing and family friendly.

• Finnish first
Trenton, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Kayak Rental”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had never kayaked before, so my son and I took the 1-hour trip through the mangroves. It was nice, although I thought it was a bit pricey for 1 hour. The location only offered either a 1-hour, 4-hour, or full day rental. I would have preferred a 2-hour rental for the price I paid.
A detailed map is provided of the waterways, but we still managed to get lost and had to have other kayakers steer us back on the right track. Saw a few birds and a couple of fish; the water was stirred because of rain, so it was hard to see to the bottom.
The Robbie's complex is quite large; there are a number of things you can do there. We were only there on a day trip from Miami. I would like to spend a full day there and perhaps kayak to one of the state park islands or go on a fishing trip. The staff seemed friendly enough, and there are plenty of options to choose from.

Poughkeepsie, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Feeding the Tarpon is unique, but be careful!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We came here specifically to feed the Tarpon. For a few dollars you get a bucket of fish (8-10). You then go to the end of the dock, lie flat and dangle your fish over the pen with a dozen or so very very large fish who will jump out of the water to grab your fish. It is quite disconcerting but a lot of fun. You do have to be careful as a fish the size of a small vehicle grabbed my fish and, because I was not quite fast enough, scraped my hand with its mouth, which seemed larger than my head up close! A few scrapes and some mild oozing of blood, but fun nonetheless. Not sure I would let kids feed them, as many were doing however. The other thing were the dozens of pelicans hanging around wanting the fish. The were considered a nuisance by the employees who actively chased them away. They made for some great photo's, however, along with the tarpon.

Commerce Township, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved Robbie's of Islamorada!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Robbie's marina = water fun!! Snorkeling on the Happy Cat, what a great time. Capt took us to Alligator Reef which was an amazing time! We had a pod of dolphins following us on our way out, jumping and swimming along with the boat! Got a few great underwater shots of the reef fish! Capt Michael and his fishing was a great time too! So friendly and helpful. The boat ride out to the fishing spots was just so beautiful and relaxing. We caught lots of fish and that was the bonus! Capt and his mate were awesome! Wanted to make sure we caught some fish and did we ever! Definitely a return trip in my near future!! Do it all at Robbie's- fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boards, shopping at open air vendors for unique keys gifts, eating yummy food at the restaurant. An all around FUN place to go!!

Visited December 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great familly fishing on Captain Michael”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We did a morning group charter fishing trip on the Captain Michael and are so glad we did. It was a highlight of our trip. We took our kids, ages 9 and 4 and they enjoyed it. We didn't want to splurge on a private charter fishing trip and this alternative came up as family friendly and affordable. It was exactly what we were looking for. We caught plenty of fish to do a fish fry at our vacation home. The fishing rods were easy to use, though too heavy for our 4 year old, which caused a bit of frustration on his side. The deckhands were very attentative and helpful, as was the captain. Fish cleaning is included and I recommend you tip the deckhands generously. They work hard and they want to make your experience a good one. This was our first charter-type fishing trip on the ocean with our kids and it was just the experience we were looking for at a very affordable price. I highly recommend making reservations. Our trip was fully booked. A father and son showed up w/o a reservation, only to be turned away very disappointed when they learned they couldn't go.

Visited December 2013