“Great place, convenient to all the keys”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Drop Anchor Resort

Drop Anchor Resort
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Saugus, Massachusetts
“Great place, convenient to all the keys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

If you're looking for the Ritz this place isn't for you but if you're looking for clean, comfortable and reasonably priced this place is perfect. We had Room 7 which is the best room. It has a beautiful view of the sea, the pool and the sandy area. The sand was raked every day, the pool was cleaned and tested. The owner, Steve and his friendly dog, Lady and employees are friendly and very helpful when looking for things to do and places to eat. We had a king size bed, kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, blender and service for 4. The only minor complaint is the bathroom is very small and with a pedestal sink there was no place to lay out my toiletries. The toiletries they supply are really nice and the salt scrub was so wonderful, I bought some in the gift shop to bring home! We would go back with no question.

1 Thank LikiTiki13
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are so glad that you had an enjoyable experience! We have met our goal! I will be sure to let the staff know of your kind words and a job well done! Best Regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

They Keys are an interesting place...they haven't updated much (see: a lot of Florida) and a lot of the buildings/hotels have been there for quite a while. But this place is in as good shape as you could want and we thought they had done a very nice place taking care of the whole property.

The room wasn't dazzling or modern, but clean and plenty of space. The grounds were groomed (sand) and peaceful, even with the highway right there (that's how it is pretty much everywhere in the Keys). Lots of hammocks, Adirondack chairs, loungers, nice pool area right on the ocean. For the price, I think the Drop Anchor is well worth the stay.

3 Thank EETravelfortwo
Thank you for the review of our property! We hope that when future travels bring you back to the Islamorada area that you will once again "drop anchor" with us! Best Regards!
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights after being in Key West for a couple days - it was perfect! There are a couple of great restaurants within walking distance (very close). The oceanfront pool is great and the sandy area with hammocks overlooking the ocean is perfect! We stayed in room one and loved it. Steve, the owner, was very accommodating and very kind. We locked ourselves out of our room late one night and he arrived within minutes to let us in (sorry Steve!!!). He was great and our stay was perfect. We are planning a trip again in July and will definitely book here again. All of the rooms are in good locations - ours was just off the parking lot by the front office and it was fine - we would book this room again if we weren't bringing our kids with us (it's just big enough for two) - it also has a private porch on the back. Everything about this place is great, I would highly recommend it, even to the pickiest of travelers. Great stay!

Room Tip: Room one is great! Don't be fooled by it's location - it's the perfect room, very recen...
3 Thank MindyMac
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of our property! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to future stays with your whole family next time! No problem with the locking yourself out thing! It happens frequently! Best Regards!
Wilmot, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I chose this property due to the great reviews that it received on this site, and I will agree with all of the positive comments one hundred percent. It is, without a doubt, a well-cared for property with wonderful outdoor seating right on the ocean. There is no swimming in the sea, but this is pretty much the case throughout the Keys. As we sat outside the first night, with the property illuminated in such a way that enhanced the experience, my review was glowing. We had eaten a late lunch so our dinner consisted of stuff we had picked up at a local grocery store, and we were happy to sit outside and enjoy it all. That first night I dreamed that there was someone in our room talking to us, and when I "woke up" the next morning, I couldn't get over how real it had been. The second night we were awakened by our "roommates" next door having sex at 1:00 a.m. And as we lay there listening to them for the next several hours (yes, youth has its advantages!) my review changed dramatically. The primary thing I look for in any lodging situation is a good night's sleep. This couple had every right to enjoy their vacation, and this is certainly not something one can go to the management to be solved. The issue here is that the wall between Unit 16 and 15 is not sound proofed enough to allow both sides to sleep properly. I realized, of course, that the dream of people talking in my room the night before had actually been people talking in THAT room! It is my opinion that Unit 15 should not be rented out separately! It should be part of Unit 16 (there is a door that can be used between the rooms, which also doesn't help the sound situation) and then my review would have remained favorable as I would have received the proper night sleep that I was looking for. This does, of course, only pertain to that unit. I have not stayed in any of the other rooms, and the freestanding trailer that was right next door looked mighty appealing as it had no shared walls, so I am not saying I wouldn't return, but I absolutely would not rent Unit 16 again!

Room Tip: Unit 16, while a great option for families using 15 as well, should be avoided as two separate units...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa S
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Owner at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I as the owner am pleased this customer brought this to our attention . We are fixing this problem immediately putting in better Sound proofing between rooms so that this sound problem will not occur in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed one night here in January. Although it might not look like much from the road, this little hotel has lots of character. Our room was very clean and spacious. Despite being close to the road it was also incredibly quiet. We stayed in a much much more expensive hotel in Key West but enjoyed our stay at the Drop Anchor exponentially more! The Drop Anchor is an incredible value for the price - especially in terms of the Keys!

There is a cute little beach area, pool and hammocks out back. It was still a bit cold so we didn't get the chance to take full advantage of everything. I would recommend the Drop Anchor to any family, solo traveler or couple without hesitation!

Even though we found the hotel through priceline.com, when we arrived the super friendly staff told us we had been upgraded to a larger suite facing the water with it's own patio and recliner chairs! The next morning I had gone to the office to buy coffees (I didn't realize there was free coffee in the room), even though the office didn't open for an hour and I interrupted the manager cooking his breakfast, he was nice enough to let me in for coffee.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa K
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay! I will pass your review along to staff who very much appreciate the acknowledgment of a job well done! We can't wait for your future stay when travels bring you back to Islamorada!

Best Regards!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This was our 2nd annual week at Drop Anchor. Will be back . Just a good bang for the buck! Owner lives on premises and the place is spotless. Pool was great salt water. Grounds are impeccable . This is nota fancy foo foo place but staff is great, location pretty much in mid key. For the money there are a lot more costly joints that deliver no more in terms of beauty and a peacefully stay. Easy parking . Wi Fi is good..Hammocks are inviting.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cliff H
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and let others know of your great experience! We strive to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as yours! We hope to see you again very soon!
Best Regards!
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Honestly, we just spent one night and one morning there, so we really didn't get the vibe of the place... Professional photos of the interior of the rooms make it look wayyyy nicer than it is. Outside shots of the grounds and pool are very accurate. It was adorable. We had a late check in so we let ourselves into our room, made up the sleeper sofa for the kids and called it a night. Getting ready for bed I pulled back the covers to inspect the sheets (which I aways do. call me crazy) and the sheets were stained and also there was a long dark hair on the sheet.(I have blonde hair) Ok I removed the hair and pulled the sheets back up and checked out the bathroom, small but it seemed clean until I looked in the shower. Sour smelling shower curtain and (no lie) a pair of womens underwear hanging from the shower curtain rod. EWWWW. Took a tissue and removed them and threw them in the trash. Not cool. Not sure if I could recommend this hotel to anyone. I did tell the woman at the front desk about the panites, and she was very apologetic. Glad it was only one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank trvlr7
We are very sorry that this customer had a Bad experience. We pride ourselves with having clean rooms and grounds.We are not perfect all the time , however we have instituted a double inspection to try to eliminate this problem in the future.