“Gotta catch to fish - we didn't”

Upper Keys Sportfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We get you on big fish with fly, light or conventional tackle. We invite you to come fish with us, in the Upper and Middle Keys, where you will find the Offshore fishing grounds where we we hunt for Marlin, Sailfish, Swordfish, Tuna, Wahoo, Sharks, Mahi-Mahi and more. We are recognized as the premier marlin charter of the Florida Keys by Florida Sportsman Magazine. The reefs abound with Snapper, Grouper and over 20 different species of fish. In the Back Country and Flats the list is Big Tarpon, Bonefish and Permit We tarpon, permit and bonefish fish in the spring and early summer months till July. We have fished this area of the Keys and know them well and will give you the most fishing action possible. We cust tailor each fishing adventure, that is why we have such great repeat business. Call us today to book your adventure. We were the recipient of The Best of Islamorada 2014 Charter Fishing. There are many charters to choose from, choose the best in choosing Upper Keys Sportfishing.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Islamorada is a worldwide hub of excellent sportfishing! They don't call it "catching", because some days are difficult.

Bottom line, we didn't catch...all day...or catch live bait. Some days truly go like that - and some of those days end up in a review. Targeted species, sailfish. Species caught, pure bycatch of 3 Mangrove Sanpper.

JR is the current mate, comical at times, and a great host - though he told me that our charter was his first official commercial charter of this particular business with Captain Jorge. While limited, I have 5 yrs of frequent Keys fishing experience, and I had no doubt from the observed tactics that JR knows his stuff, when he is able to influence the situation.

Captain Jorge failed to impress this day, and JR seemed, no he was in fact, disgruntled in his coordination with the Captain. On great days any Captain can easy impress clients, a great Captain can do it on tough days.

There is a saying here that if you can't catch bait, you can not fish. Within the first two hours, I had told my guests from California that we had a low shot of catching any sails - and proved to be accurate.

By 12:45 Capt and Mate agreed that bait fishing was a must, and tried no less than 7 anchor sets before retiring that idea for our exhausted mullet and one ballyhoo. (Last set near Tennessee Reef light may have produced except for a very discourteous competing Captain who ran on top of our bait location while we were chumming and netting). So some credit give at mid day, we had the bait, but at no fault to the crew. It left.

Returning at 1430, we had a better day on the water than being in the office, winter ice storms, or any day in LA traffic but this transplanted local recommends other attractions unless other reviews are more impressive. Check out Early Bird at the Postcard Inn near Shulas Burger for a stand up Captain who has consistently brought me back with my targeted species.

Recommendation: I believe some Captain ethics are needed, and when you flat strike out offer some sort of incentive or refund. Ditch the heavy pressure for taxidermy, unless it's a near record fish or something significant. Put a foot in the game so to speak.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was in Islamorada on business and had to take an extra day to go fishing with Capt Jorge for the second time. I'm glad I did, he got me on a monster Blackfin tuna 25-30lb in just 120 feet of water! I hear that is the biggest Blackfin that's been caught there in the last 2 years! I had an awesome time and can't wait to get down there again and try to get a sailfish!
Book with him today you won't be disappointed!
Ann King
Settin the Hook Apparel

1  Thank abking102106
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I came down for a week of fishing down in beautiful Islamorada. For our first day, we scheduled a half day with Captain Jorge for deep sea fishing. The crew caught bait right away and had us trolling in no time. After they raised four sails, we asked to fish for a full day! After all the commotion we ended up with 3 successful releases. We had such a great connection with the Captain and his mate that we requested to fish the day after. He had the availability and was more than happy to take us out again! All day we had strike after strike, we caught out limit of kingfish. Great for eatin'! We will definitely be back to book with Upper Keys Sport Fishing. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

What a great day of fishing! My siblings and I wanted to get the full keys experience and got a referral to go on a full day with Upper Keys Sportfishing. We had a blast! Despite the weather being a little dreary, the experience was awesome. We ended up catching some a good size sailfish, as well as king, grouper and mackerel. Their boat is equipped with top notch gear, and was very clean. Not to mention, plenty of seating! Jorge and his mate JR definitely made the experience, and clearly are very knowledgeable about the area! What makes them different is how they interacted with us with their sense of humor and hospitality. If you're looking to catch fish, while enjoying your experience, look no further than Upper Keys Sportfishing!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our fishing trip was amazing! We went out to catch cigar minnow bait, which took the captain very little time and gave us more time for fishing. The weather was great, the boat was very comfortable, and the captain gave us a detailed history and background of the keys and fishing off shore from the keys. The captain was knowledgeable and taught us how and where to find certain fish and catch fish (how to reel with off shore rods and bring in the fish). We caught king fish and dorado, or as they call them - dolphin. Chasing after birds that dived down by the fish was entertaining and served us well with our fish that we caught! The experience was so much fun! Definitely a quality and quantity experience (we spent all day on the water). I plan to schedule another fishing trip by Spring/Summer.