“Not the best burger or atmosphere but you may feel different”

MEAT Eatery And Taproom
Ranked #6 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: M.E.A.T. Eatery And Taproom is a Cutting-Edge Quick-Service restaurant in the Upper Florida Keys. A Diners, Drive Ins and Dive spot featured for its Smoked Wings and Home Made Pork Rinds. It smokes its Pulled Pork, makes its own Sausage in-house, was named #1 Burger in Florida for it's stuffed Burger the Inside Out Juicy Lucy and Top 101 Burgers in America for the Nancy Pants Burger and even makes its own Ketchup and Mustard. MEAT also carries Craft Beers, Microwbrewed Sodas, Organic Wines and Fresh Made Ice Cream. Not to be missed traveling in the Keys!
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is in a strip mall so there's no real "outdoor seating". It's small, a handful of tables next to a bar/counter. I think have a table out in front of their storefront.

We were not told by employees but figured out that they don't pick up your check - you bring it to the front cashier before you leave.

I only tried the plain burger but did not think it was anything special. Not horrible, just nothing I went "WOW, that tastes great!"

I overheard them say they are new, open about 9 months.

I like a burger outside on a grill, that's when I say :WOW. . This was not "wow" but keep in mind I only ordered the plain jane burger so I had meat and a bun.

The buns are good, though, they put butter on them so it's like a dinner roll. If you don't want butter, you will have to ask before it's served as they came out that way.

They make their own ketchup, which I didn't realize, and it was too spicy for me, for me it overpowered the burger. Ordered a new bun and tried to wipe off the home made ketchup from the patty with napkins. A new patty would have been preferred. Wasn't happy with treatment by owne r.

We got regular ketchup upon request.

The atmosphere is like a small bar. You walk in, it's a narrow storefront with a few tables lined up along the wall to the left and the counter/bar on the right. The walking space is between the two, restrooms in the back.

They do serve alcohol but it's not just a bar - kids can come in and eat, too. There were kids at one of the tables, and they said my kids could eat at the bar / counter where they serve alcohol on tap (surprised me) as there were no tables available.

I read they smoke their own bacon and meats.

There is no view of water or anything just the street - its on the east side of US1 - only plate glass windows in the storefront to look out of so if you are looking for a place to sit outside and enjoy the water, you won't be able to do that here.

I'll add a picture of the storefront so you can see what it looks like if you are looking for it.

I didn't think the fries were anything special but the manager said they are fried in duck fat and most people rave about them. For me, I didn't know anything different -- tasted like plain fries to me. We didn't even finish them.

I won't go back, I'll be looking for more atmosphere combined also with food that makes us all say WOW! I visit a few times a year and when I am on vacation, I look for the whole package when I am paying to dine out.

2  Thank TheWanderer305
There are newer reviews for MEAT Eatery And Taproom

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a very small place but don't let that fool you. The food is very fresh and very tasty. Prices are fair. We really enjoyed this. The only negative was that my husband didn't think there were enough choices for this to be considered a taproom. We would go back, but for the food! :)

1  Thank annieh60
1GrapeGuy, Guest Relations Manager at MEAT Eatery And Taproom, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you so much for feed back we hope see you again.

The MEAT Staff

Reviewed April 4, 2013

the burgers and chickpea burger all were awesome. fries rocked. funky vibe. but waiting 20 minutes was a drag.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was one of my favorite lunches while visiting this beautiful island. The menu has something for everyone. i couldn't decide what to get so my friends and I all got something different to taste it all. The turkey sliders were delicious and juicy, the chorizo burger had a nice kick to it and the beef burgers are amazing and so tasty. I'm not sure what's in the meat but whatever it is reminded me of the best burger from my hometown at The Pipers Kilt. But this place has a great variety as well as a friendly atmosphere. For any vegetarians out there Chef George has specials like a hummus burger too. And the french fries are thin and crispy just the way they should be. The condiments are all delicious and so different. Especially the ketchup with a secret ingredient that I wish I knew!!! I highly recommend this restaurant. Don't miss out on your visit to the keys at marker 88!!!!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Great beer selection (though not cheap), and the chef (who came out and spoke with us) did good work, giving choices from tasty brauts to a chickpea and edamame burger to good St. Louis style BBQ. This could become my favorite place. Get there early, there are only half a dozen tables or seats at the bar.