“Interesting menu & could be elsewhere”

MEAT Eatery And Taproom
Ranked #5 of 94 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: M.E.A.T. Eatery And Taproom is a Cutting-Edge Quick-Service restaurant in the Upper Florida Keys. A Diners, Drive Ins and Dive spot featured for its Smoked Wings and Home Made Pork Rinds. It smokes its Pulled Pork, makes its own Sausage in-house, was named #1 Burger in Florida for it's stuffed Burger the Inside Out Juicy Lucy and Top 101 Burgers in America for the Nancy Pants Burger and even makes its own Ketchup and Mustard. MEAT also carries Craft Beers, Microwbrewed Sodas, Organic Wines and Fresh Made Ice Cream. Not to be missed traveling in the Keys!
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hard to believe this exists in islamorada, really good shakes and sandwiches, dessert too....No fish it seems but great burgers the staff could do with a shake up cos they are way too cool to be serving anyone of course

1  Thank NikkiMMiami Beach

Reviewed January 19, 2013

What a fun change of pace is MEAT! This was the best lunch we've had in the Keys in a long time. I could write about this place all day, but to save time, here's what sets it apart in a nutshell: the service is attentive and knowledgeable. Not one single misstep from start to finish. I added the house smoked bacon to the House Burger, and the first bite almost made me cry, it was so good. Who in the world makes their own ketchup and mustard anymore? the chef at MEAT does. It was meat nirvana. Hubby (who is not easy to please) was speechless over the smoked pork sandwich and the vanilla bean malt, and he said the duck fat fries were the best he's had since his mama's in Cuba, which she fried in manteca. It was not a cheap lunch, but it was worth the $50 we paid for an appetizer, two entrees, micro-brewery beer, shake, soda and tip. We cannot wait to go back.

1  Thank dolphinheron
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Ok, have to say, there is plenty of great seafood in the Keys, and it's fresh. But if you want to mix it up and go to a place for grade A quality meat, MEAT Eatery and Taproom is the place. Not typically a huge pork fan, I was enticed to order the House Carolina pulled pork sandwich. It was phenomenal!!! Came topped with housemade slaw, it was incredibly tender. I guess so after being smoked for 5hrs. Washed it down with one of the many tap beers they had available, a truly great, assortment. I have to say it was easily the best pulled pork sandwich I ever had. My girlfriend had the lamb burger, which was one of the day's specials. She loved it!!! Extremely tender as well, tasty, and something different. We'll be going back for sure. Not the fanciest place in the world, but a fast(er) food restaurant with unreal food and great beers (which they change frequently I'm told), friendly staff, and great vibes. Perfect Keys stop.

1  Thank Joe D
Reviewed January 19, 2013

When we came to the Keys, we expected to find and eat a lot of great seafood. However, my husband, a beer, meat and BBQ enthusiast, read the reviews for M.E.A.T. and decided that we had to try it. One word... Wow! I had the Juicy Lucy burger, which was cooked to perfection but my husband's pulled pork was the real star of the show! Big hunks of hand pulled pork, smoked on site out back and mopped and braised to perfection; no need for BBQ sauce to cover the delicious BBQ flavor! Our waitress said a customer this past week refused to eat it because "it was too smoky"-probably didn't taste like those dry pulled porks you get elsewhere that HAVE to be drenched in BBQ sauce. If you're looking for a cheap, low quality burger joint, this isn't it. Chef uses really good quality ingredients, and not only is all the food made from scratch, so are many of his condiments (my personal fave is the homemade chipotle ketchup; I'm talkin putting actual tomatoes in a blender!). Best of all, he clearly cares about his customer experiences. When so many tourist restaurants offer worn-out versions of what should be great food (most of which probably comes frozen and dumped into a deep fryer) and you never get to meet the chef to let them know how mediocre their food is, Chef George at M.E.A.T. is accessible and actually comes out to the floor to ask you about your dining experience. Also, hit him and the rest of the staff (along with the local patrons) up on their advice to avoid the tourist traps. M.E.A.T. is not a huge place, and it might be a little hard to spot from the main road, but it's worth the trip to have some of the best food you will probably have on our entire trip to the Keys. Bravo!

2  Thank NicoleMNM
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Any Keys local will tell you that we love a change of pace from the fish shacks and MEAT is so much more than just a change of pace. The team there is working hard to be the best at what they are - a charming spot to grab a great pint and an extraordinary burger - and are absolutely not trying to be something they aren't. MEAT isn't fancy, not fussy, just awesome. For a locale that drinks so much beer, the beer selection around the Keys is disappointing. MEAT provides an oasis of some of the country's best micro brews, serves them on tap and rotates them frequently. (not to mention other country's brews - Chimay, on tap, and in the proper chalice!) The "Juicy Lucy" burger is one of the best I've ever had, and the truffle fries cooked in duck fat, well, they are just addictive. Stop by and catch a game on TV, try something new (or not new - fried chicken every day after 5 until it's gone - get yours early) and enjoy some of the most personalized service anywhere. This is one of our go-to spots for entertaining friends or family when they're visiting and tired of seafood because we know they will enjoy a great burger (or house-smoked pulled pork, or a hotdog, or so many more meaty treats), tasty, creative appetizers and a cold brew. Go soon and often, I know I will!

1  Thank LCHRH