“Great Meat, Good Beer, Freindly professional Service”

MEAT Eatery And Taproom
Ranked #5 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: M.E.A.T. Eatery And Taproom is a Cutting-Edge Quick-Service restaurant in the Upper Florida Keys. A Diners, Drive Ins and Dive spot featured for its Smoked Wings and Home Made Pork Rinds. It smokes its Pulled Pork, makes its own Sausage in-house, was named #1 Burger in Florida for it's stuffed Burger the Inside Out Juicy Lucy and Top 101 Burgers in America for the Nancy Pants Burger and even makes its own Ketchup and Mustard. MEAT also carries Craft Beers, Microwbrewed Sodas, Organic Wines and Fresh Made Ice Cream. Not to be missed traveling in the Keys!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Meat, Good Beer, Freindly professional Service”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The title says it all. Stopped by with friend the pork sandwich was as good as it gets My Hamburger was juicy tasty and filling. Great sides like fine dining but casual with any beer you might be in the mood for. I'll be back

1 Thank Richard J

Islamorada, Florida
“Excellent food and atmosphere, new staff needed”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times and each time I have been less impressed with the atmosphere and certain waitstaff. Today I ate at the restaurant (called meat) and the atmosphere was terrible from my point of view. A few points: 1) The tv was on bravo. 2) depressing emo music. 3) the menu situation.

I'm a guy. I wanted to eat some delicious food, and have an overall nice dining experience. My question is, why would you put a program on the TV for a woman audience. Now, I'm not chauvinistic, I just personally terribly dislike Bravo or E! channels (with the exception of Talk Soup which can be hilarious). The place is called MEAT, and presumably the owner is trying to attract a meat eating crowd, which I would think consists primarily of men though I have no quantitative evidence about that. Only anecdotes and conventional wisdom so I concede that I could be wrong. Also, I could have asked to change the channel. If there is a next time, I will. My recommendation, news or sports.

My second qualm with the atmosphere is the music. The emo [--] needs to be ended. One or two emo songs on a play list is bearable; however, listening to the whole Dashboard Confessional discography over my lunch break is enough to make me want to inhale exhaust fumes in a closed garage. Change the music. Enough said.

Finally, the menu situation is deliberately confusing. This is the only conclusion I can come to. My first visit, the menus were by the register (in front of you when you walk in) or someone gave me a menu per usual at most every restaurant in the whole country. All was right with the world. Then, one time I walked in and some punk with blond hair, no idea what he is doing, and most likely a terrible playlist and a bad taste in TV channels, tells me that the menus are on the wall... behind me. I said something to the effect of "well last time someone gave me a menu." He replied, "No, it's always been this way." Woah! First time I saw the guy and he's telling me how its always been. He's telling me that my personal experiences are incorrect. Not cool. I would fire this guy in a heartbeat. I would also stop deliberately confusing customers with an oddly placed, do it yourself menu location. So many people must be confused when they walk in the door and are told to turn around to grab their own menu. Plus, there are always 2 waitstaff there at lunch to serve a relatively small number of people. Just give the people a damn menu. Do you really want your guests to be confused the second they enter the restaurant? I wouldn't think that anxiety sells 1/4 lb hot dogs but what do i know. i will eat here again in a while to see if anything is changed and to eat the great food. Maybe i'll have to resort to take out.

6 Thank eee e
1GrapeGuy, Owner at MEAT Eatery And Taproom, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
The employee of which you spoke of has been relieved of his duties, we apologize for his attitude, actions and choice of TV stations, sorry!
We have brought in some more friendly people to compliment our other nice staff people. We hope you return to enjoy another meal.
Miami, Florida
“MEAT - A Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were a party of 8 heading back to Miami from Key West, and stopped at MEAT because of a referral. It's located at Mile Marker 88 in a tiny strip shopping center. Wasn't the easiest to find - blink and you'll miss it........we actually did, and turned around.........SO glad we did..! The Owners/Chef/Staff were SO friendly and accommodating! The menu is creative, exciting, and not what you would expect from such a tiny establishment - a couple tables with chairs, and a long bar with stools - but the atmosphere is very relaxed and comfortable. Very good selection of beer, floats, etc. We sat at the bar where there was a lot of interaction with the Staff! The food was delicious with minimal wait time. Homemade mango ketchup, mustard, and mayo! While we were there, they got a delivery of fresh, large homemade cupcakes.........my niece and sister shared one, and were still talking about how good it was hours later! I would return without hesitation!

• Visited October 2012
“Cute, small restaurant - good drinks, great burger.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We did not expect this place to be so small. But the service was great - lots of attention for our party of 6. The 4 adults decided to try a special - prime rib sandwich. We were not prepared for the onions on the sandwich - we were not told they would be on there, and they were very overpowering. I had the bistro fries with parmesean cheese, rosemary, and truffle oil. They were ok. My son had the burger- it was absolutely wonderful. And their homemade ketchup and mayo were yummy, too. Would go back, but would order a burger next time.

florida
“hands down AWESOME!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The best lobster roll...(grilled bun and all i might add ) south of Rhode Island...YUM!! Fab burgers and serious fried chicken...that is if they did not sell out!! love their Tasters restaurant too! Big and little kids will love the roobeer floats! great job guys!

1 Thank rinaldired