“Very nice, except for the beds”

Breezy Palms Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We, a family of 4, have just returned from a 2 night stay at Breezy Palms resort.
Overall our stay was very good, and was only marred by the bad quality of the beds (we had a bungalow).

First things first, the location is central, the grounds are spacious and beautiful, and the vibe of the place (tranquil is the word) is great. The pool is warm and clean, the 'beach' is well kept, free coffee at reception, free donuts on Sunday morning, pool towels at your disposal, is has truly great service standards for a hotel this size.

The main (and only) downside was the quality of the beds in the bungalow. The beds were sagging and soft, with automatic rolling towards the middle. In addition, the aircon (placed 20 cms above the bed) was incredibly loud.

That said, the size of the room was excellent, everything worked and is was kept clean very well. Also noteworthy the bungalows were amongst the cheaper rooms of Breezy Palms, more expensive rooms might well have better bedding.

All in all very good, a new investment in beds will put this to a rating of 5!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mvanderh

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Breezy palms has a great staff. The grounds are safe and clean. I have been going to breezy palms since I was 5. I am 44 and return with my family yearly. The rooms are dated but overall I love the grounds and the location.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The rooms are dated, there is no tiki bar, no cable, no resturaunt, tackle shop or water sports vendor on premesis, it is boring and has no nightly scheduled activities.. In other words This place is exactly what I look for when I go to the keys. A laid back place with well manicured grounds, BBQ pits, great fishing off the Jetty and Nothing going on to distract me from the business of relaxing..

Would highly recommend to anyone or family looking for a laid back old keys experience.. This is five stars to me.. If you are expecting room service, a concierge and live music you will be disappointed..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kam2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, no beach to speak of, but a very relaxing hotel on the ocean. No rooms are bad rooms, and we stayed in the "hotel" room where we had a peek a boo view of the ocean. Rooms were clean and it was nice to be able to pick up a cup of coffee in the morning, in the lobby area. The only negative was that we had hoped to stay another night at the last minute, but there was nothing left that was affordable. We would go here again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Islamorada and Breezy Palms in the month of March for 15 years and have never had a bad experience. It is a "laid-back, quiet, vintage" Keys location and that's why we like it so much...not your "cookie-cutter" modern-day hotel. There are several types of accommodations from which to choose - we like the bungalows. No spa or fitness center but the grounds are very neat and a great place to relax. Also, boat docking is on site.

The entire staff is excellent - very friendly and accomodating - and the same associates are there year after year. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a true Keys getaway at a reasonable price!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusanL5215
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just returned from 9 nights at Breezy Palms (2/16/13-2/25/13.) Stayed in 1 BR "Pool-side" condo unit, upstairs near Overseas Highway. I put "Pool-side" in quotes because you could not even see the pool from the lanai of this unit. Unit was clean but very dated looking. Cabinets and range were circa 1970's; bed seemed to be shorter than normal. Sign posted above range warned of potential fines if frying caused smoke alarm to go off. The Guest Book of Rules & Regulations said that frying was not allowed in the unit. Grounds were neat with tropical feel, but beach was not attractive. It was artificial made from a screen placed in the harbor area to filter out plant debris from the harbor. (It was not 100% effective.) Tiki covers in the beach area harbored ants, so I didn't want to sit under them. Wi-Fi was so marginal that it was virtually useless in the condo. A complaint about the Wi-Fi was acknowledged, but the suggested remedy was to move outside. One night saw stronger-than-normal winds that caused a palm tree adjacent to the building to sway into the building itself creating a loud knock every 1-2 seconds. This went on for 6-8 hours, reminding me of "enhanced interrogation techniques" for sleep deprivation. As soon as the office opened the next day, I complained. The staff was very nice and said they would report it to maintenance. No apparent remedy was applied. Fortunately, the winds presented no problem the following night. However, the same problem occurred the night before we left, but not for as long. Since we left the next morning, I did not complain again. Road noise from Overseas Highway was non-trivial, especially if sitting on the screened-in lanai. When I booked this unit and was told it was adjacent to the highway, I asked about road noise and was told it was not noticeable. We've stayed at the Futura Yacht Club in Islamorada previously. That was a much better option than Breezy Palms. BP is adjacent to the Hampton Inn, which has an Outback Steakhouse and Tiki Bar that is very convenient. The nearest chain grocery store was 11 miles away, one way. I would not stay at Breezy Palms again.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again even in a different room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

All of the Keys use the "resort" as a draw for unsuspecting tourists. Given I already knew that I went with an open mind. My husband and I travel the keys a lot. Spending most of our time further south, we thought we would give Key Largo and Islamorada a shot and see how we liked it. We looked around and selected the Breezy Palms. This hotel is a meticulously cared for older property. Great care is taken and it is a pristine representation of old Florida. We had an an Ocean view suite. It was a very pretty view, but the jetty which is worn, old and unsightly does mar the view a bit. There is sand, but nothing of what you would expect from a beach. You could wade in on one end or take steps off the jetty. I don't go for the beach so I was fine with it. The pool looked very nice and well cared for.

I know this is Florida and bugs are an issue, but I absolutely hate screened porches, that is my opinion only. The deck is tightly screened but it just takes away if it is the view your after. Again, I can assume this is to make a more comfortable environment for the guests. This hotel is within walking distance to a couple of restaurants and bars, which is nice because it seems like you have to drive every where in the upper keys which is distasteful to me. Hard to have a sense of community with highway 1 running through everything.

Our room was nicely furnished, the outer sitting area and kitchen were bright, the kitchen was a bit worn, but fine. They give you a stove but don't want you to fry anything, and actually indicate there may be a fine if you do. The bedroom is very dark, not decorated or inviting at all. I was disappointed in it. Since it runs across the street side of the hotel, you can't really open the curtains as everyone walking by had a clear view into your bedroom. Additionally, you do hear the traffic all night, and it never slows down on this section of road. Also, for concrete walls, they feel paper thin. Guests arriving late, or drunk (this is the keys) are very noisy right where you are trying to sleep. Practically everyone on the second floor had to go by our door and none of them had any respect for people who may be trying to sleep.

My last comment, albeit seemingly small. If I am paying over $200 a night for an ocean view room in an older hotel, the least they could do is throw a couple of packs of coffee in the room. Nothing like grabbing a cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. No..no coffee.

I guess all in all, I will say the play is clean and pleasant for its age, but it has a lot of competition so do your home work before committing.

Room Tip: I would definitely do ocean view but most of the rooms will be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple