“Expected Something Better”

Ranked #3 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
montgomery, al
“Expected Something Better”
Reviewed July 16, 2007

The air conditioner did not work, it was so hot. We were traveling and diving throughout the Florida Keys, this hotel was the most expensive and had the most problems! A/C not working, no hotel staff onsite after 9AM to tell, the only internet connection in the hotel was in the lobby area. I expected more for the money we paid. Luckily, we only had to suffer one night. When we pulled up, we thought, this will be a cool place! Old Keys, just like we like. They need to fix and air conditioners, and offer a cup of coffee in the morning, or a pot in the room.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank unique_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
FLORIDA
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I looked forward to my first vacation in a long time and looked forward to first time in the Keys since I moved to Florida.
Our room was unbearably hot!! Air conditioner was set at 60 but it had to have been in the 90's in that room. I finally had to get a portable fan from the cleaning lady so we could sleep but that just pushed around the hot air. The refrigerator also never got cold. The bathrooms towels all had stains on them and the floor in bathroom already came furnished with black hair on it !!
I am use to quaint and old and welcome the "old Florida lifestyle" but cleanliness and a cool room is a priority.
Sorry, LaJolla but I cannot recommend you although I found the people in charge very nice, I would have expected some kind of compensation.

• Liked — old florida
  • Disliked — cleanliness, ac not working as well as refrigerator and no ceiling fan but remove control
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ISLANDBOUND50
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviewed May 30, 2007

My boyfriend and i have stayed here twice, and had an awesome experience here!! Yes, the decor may be slightly tacky, but what do people expect, it was built in the 1950's!!! To me, that only adds to it's charm. I feel very bad for the others who had problems with cleanliness there, but both times I've been here (we went last September, also), it's been wonderful! We had the Seashell Villa downstairs closest to the pool and, believe me when I say this, you couldn't hear ANY of the ruckus that went on down by the beach area where there were obnoxious twenty-somethings playing their music on their boats very loudly and just being loud-I was amazed!!! The only reason anyone would hear noise and voices of any sort would have to be because they must have had rooms located above or exactly next to the main office-the husband and wife owners were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. So I suppose, it's all based on experience from being there at the wrong time for some of the others, bad things DO happen at times, but in my opinion, this is an awesome place to come and de-stress-but if you are looking for something totally upscale, then this is not for you. But, if you want a nice place to just relax, unwind and get away from it all with friendly people and excellent accomodations, then by all means, come here and enjoy!!! My boyfriend, my 9 year-old daughter and I even have plans to come back for New Year's!!! I don't know, something about the place appealed to me.......

Stayed May 2007
New York, NY
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We stayed in Unit T, supposedly one of the nicer rooms. Cleaniness was passable, decor was tacky, bathroom was tiny and in major need of paint and updating (like replace the rusted sink.) We must agree with previous review about the towels being dingy and rough. The sheer curtains on windows and patio lights left on all night made the room a bit too bright for sleeping. Pool was so small, we missed it the first time we pulled in. On the plus side, it was quiet and the view from the dock was beautiful for sunsets. Sorry, but we would not recommend.

• Liked — Sunsets
  • Disliked — Everything I complained about above
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ILoveNY56
PA
Reviewed March 27, 2007

All I can say is what a bad surprise this place was. After driving 10 hours I arrived for check in and had to stand there and listen to the husband and wife "management team" argue back and forth. when they were finished I checked in and went to my room. The room smelled and was dirty. Went back to the office and was told....sorry, the housekeepers have left for the day. I will NEVER stay here again!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Apopka.Fl
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Fancy? no, Glitzy? no, ultra modern resort? no,...and that is exactaly what i wanted, the view out of the cottage was stunning(faced the gulf), the rooms were clean, and neat ,and pretty much anything you would need to have an evening in( except food) was there, it was a little pricey $299.00 per night but ,the experience was exceptional, the staff was helpful, and courteous, and all said it was worth every penny!

• Liked — the view of the sunset....awsome!
  • Disliked — the bed was WAYYYY to soft, but that is just my taste
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1320tfbfan
Northern Minnesota
Reviewed December 12, 2006

We really enjoyed the laid back and mellow atmosphere at the La Jolla. The price was right. We stayed in room "T" aka "The Honeymoon Suite", it was a room with a bed and pretty table. It had a great view of the bay and the La Jolla grounds. The facility is aged (from the 1950's.) A heck of a lot cooler than a standard motel room and priced right (especially in the off season.)

The bayside yard features a shuffle board court but not instructions on the rules, kayaks for guests to use, a hammock, chairs and a tiki table. The grill to cook your fish needs some work. This is a charming place I would recommend. Traffic noise is minimal in the yard.

It is not fancy but it is neat and we'll be staying again. Next time we'll spring for a bigger room with kitchenette so we can spread out. I hope La Jolla stays just as it is!

I also recommend Captain Kenny Spaulding. He's been our fishing guide for years and is accommodating and nice and gets you fish.

--Cheers,
Northern Minnesotans

• Liked — Cool atmosphere, location, price
  • Disliked — rooms need a bit of updating
  • Tips/Secrets — book during the off season for best deals and a quieter time in the Keys
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple