“We loved this place”

Ranked #3 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Maine
“We loved this place”
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We were two couples and rented the Blue Dolphin as a 2 bedroom 2 bath cottage (they can be rented separately). The living area and kitchen were airy and spacious, nicely decorated, and right on the little waterfront beach. We had some meals in (including steaks & fresh tuna prepared on their bricked-in grill on the little beach), picnicked nearby, and ate at one of the nearby outdoor restaurants. Fortunately we had a couple of days because the small grounds are lovely, and we enjoyed reading under the palm trees and watching pelicans and sea gulls. Owners and staff pretty much left us alone, and were helpful the few times we had questions. Some of the other rooms and apartments look over the water, but we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else - it was perfect.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Coming down from Miami, we intended to head to Key West to stay for the night. Because the traffic was so bad on I-1, we knew we wouldn't make it to Key West until late at night, so after stopping at several hotels on the way, we decided on La Jolla Resort, and what a pleasant stay it was!

The manager was very nice, enthusiastic and eager to help us. After presenting an original rate of more than $300, she agreed to discount it to $200.

The room was very clean; the bathroom provided all the needed essentials, and the kitchen had everything needed to cook a meal. At night, it was quiet, and we all had a pleasant stay.

The best part about La Jolla Resort is the beach and dock area. There are lounge chairs, hammocks and a shuffleboard on the sand. There is a dock, for fishing, and kayaks, if you wish to go kayaking.

My family and I had a pleasant stay at La Jolla Resort, and we certainly wouldn't mind coming back again. It's a great place to stay if you're heading out to Key West or coming back from a day down there, and don't want to waste money on a pricey hotel.

• Liked — the beach/dock area
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Myself and 2 friends rented the little house out near the dock. It was a clean 2 bedroom/2 bath. The property was quiet, however others staying there were very friendly and offered to share beer. We loved the squirrels and iquanas! Wildlife is a plus in my book, whether it's a local cat, dog or....Iquanas. The place is painted in nice pastel colors and has a 'hidden' feel to it. The price was right and I'd stay there again.

• Liked — all of it. the colors, the iquanas and squirrels, being on the water, the hammock
  • Disliked — only had one night to stay
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Palm Beach Gardens
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We just came back from The La Jolla Resort. I will start by saying this is not the type of place I usually would book but, most of the area was booked and the dockage was important to us.

I will say that if you love something a bit rustic, aren't too picky about decor and love sunsets this may be perfect for you. The view at sunset is a huge plus.

The resort itself is very old Florida to me and we had a easy check in. Our room was on the ground floor and was clean but, quite small. I notice little details and it seems to me that your basics were there, small kitchen, eating table, linens but, it was not what I expected. When we first arrived the room had a very strong anticeptic smell. The bathroom was okay, could be a little more modern but, perhaps that it's appealing in it's old Florida way. What did bother me the most was the ceiling which reminded me of an office as it was all ceiling tiles. The pricing was reasonable so I do believe we got what we paid for - I think in the future I'd rather pay a bit more and have more modern amenities.

The pool next to the highway almost seemed to be an afterthought. Not a place to relax, you are too close to the the road.

The place prides itself for people who like to fish and I could see that if you were really spending a lot of time outside (fishing) you may not be so picky about the room itself.

My reccommendation is to look at the resort's website for pictures so you get a feeling for the place.

• Liked — View of sunset
  • Disliked — Pool , older amenities
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed December 15, 2007

Do not give your credit card number to these people! They are liars and will tell you they won't charge it, but they will! I was told that I had 14 days to cancel, but when I called on the SPECIFIC day I was told it was okay to call, I was told that they were charging my card anyway. Then, I was called names when telling them I was lied to. I was patronized, belittled, and mistreated when I WAS CLEARLY LIED TO. The woman who lied to me is named "GRETCHEN" Do not give this woman your information.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank FloridaLittlelamb
lajollaresv, manager at La Jolla Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2007
Our cancellation policy is the same for everyone. 14 days prior to your
arrival we charge a non-refundable deposit equal to first night + tax.
Exceptions are a named storm or illness/injury with a doctors excuse. Everyone
is informed of the policy when making a reservation.
Houston
Reviewed September 6, 2007

We flew in to Ft. Lauderdale from Texas and drove down for the weekend. I don't recall the room letter but it was right on the beach. The decor is tacky, yes but it is the Keys. This resort embodies the atmosphere and laid-back mindset of the Keys. The cottages/rooms are all painted in bright caribbean colors (right out of the 50's). The setting is quiet, intimate. We loved the tame squirrels and the 2 iguanas that roam the property. The management team was very helpful, even arranging a boat rental for the day. We would return any time!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank LoveFlorida63
montgomery, al
Reviewed July 16, 2007

The air conditioner did not work, it was so hot. We were traveling and diving throughout the Florida Keys, this hotel was the most expensive and had the most problems! A/C not working, no hotel staff onsite after 9AM to tell, the only internet connection in the hotel was in the lobby area. I expected more for the money we paid. Luckily, we only had to suffer one night. When we pulled up, we thought, this will be a cool place! Old Keys, just like we like. They need to fix and air conditioners, and offer a cup of coffee in the morning, or a pot in the room.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank unique_7