“Works for me!”
Review of La Jolla Resort

La Jolla Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Myself and 2 friends rented the little house out near the dock. It was a clean 2 bedroom/2 bath. The property was quiet, however others staying there were very friendly and offered to share beer. We loved the squirrels and iquanas! Wildlife is a plus in my book, whether it's a local cat, dog or....Iquanas. The place is painted in nice pastel colors and has a 'hidden' feel to it. The price was right and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 6, 2008

We just came back from The La Jolla Resort. I will start by saying this is not the type of place I usually would book but, most of the area was booked and the dockage was important to us.

I will say that if you love something a bit rustic, aren't too picky about decor and love sunsets this may be perfect for you. The view at sunset is a huge plus.

The resort itself is very old Florida to me and we had a easy check in. Our room was on the ground floor and was clean but, quite small. I notice little details and it seems to me that your basics were there, small kitchen, eating table, linens but, it was not what I expected. When we first arrived the room had a very strong anticeptic smell. The bathroom was okay, could be a little more modern but, perhaps that it's appealing in it's old Florida way. What did bother me the most was the ceiling which reminded me of an office as it was all ceiling tiles. The pricing was reasonable so I do believe we got what we paid for - I think in the future I'd rather pay a bit more and have more modern amenities.

The pool next to the highway almost seemed to be an afterthought. Not a place to relax, you are too close to the the road.

The place prides itself for people who like to fish and I could see that if you were really spending a lot of time outside (fishing) you may not be so picky about the room itself.

My reccommendation is to look at the resort's website for pictures so you get a feeling for the place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2007

Do not give your credit card number to these people! They are liars and will tell you they won't charge it, but they will! I was told that I had 14 days to cancel, but when I called on the SPECIFIC day I was told it was okay to call, I was told that they were charging my card anyway. Then, I was called names when telling them I was lied to. I was patronized, belittled, and mistreated when I WAS CLEARLY LIED TO. The woman who lied to me is named "GRETCHEN" Do not give this woman your information.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank FloridaLittlelamb
lajollaresv, manager at La Jolla Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2007

Our cancellation policy is the same for everyone. 14 days prior to your
arrival we charge a non-refundable deposit equal to first night + tax.
Exceptions are a named storm or illness/injury with a doctors excuse. Everyone
is informed of the policy when making a reservation.

Reviewed September 6, 2007

We flew in to Ft. Lauderdale from Texas and drove down for the weekend. I don't recall the room letter but it was right on the beach. The decor is tacky, yes but it is the Keys. This resort embodies the atmosphere and laid-back mindset of the Keys. The cottages/rooms are all painted in bright caribbean colors (right out of the 50's). The setting is quiet, intimate. We loved the tame squirrels and the 2 iguanas that roam the property. The management team was very helpful, even arranging a boat rental for the day. We would return any time!

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank LoveFlorida63
Reviewed July 16, 2007

The air conditioner did not work, it was so hot. We were traveling and diving throughout the Florida Keys, this hotel was the most expensive and had the most problems! A/C not working, no hotel staff onsite after 9AM to tell, the only internet connection in the hotel was in the lobby area. I expected more for the money we paid. Luckily, we only had to suffer one night. When we pulled up, we thought, this will be a cool place! Old Keys, just like we like. They need to fix and air conditioners, and offer a cup of coffee in the morning, or a pot in the room.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank unique_7
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I looked forward to my first vacation in a long time and looked forward to first time in the Keys since I moved to Florida.
Our room was unbearably hot!! Air conditioner was set at 60 but it had to have been in the 90's in that room. I finally had to get a portable fan from the cleaning lady so we could sleep but that just pushed around the hot air. The refrigerator also never got cold. The bathrooms towels all had stains on them and the floor in bathroom already came furnished with black hair on it !!
I am use to quaint and old and welcome the "old Florida lifestyle" but cleanliness and a cool room is a priority.
Sorry, LaJolla but I cannot recommend you although I found the people in charge very nice, I would have expected some kind of compensation.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ISLANDBOUND50
Reviewed May 30, 2007

My boyfriend and i have stayed here twice, and had an awesome experience here!! Yes, the decor may be slightly tacky, but what do people expect, it was built in the 1950's!!! To me, that only adds to it's charm. I feel very bad for the others who had problems with cleanliness there, but both times I've been here (we went last September, also), it's been wonderful! We had the Seashell Villa downstairs closest to the pool and, believe me when I say this, you couldn't hear ANY of the ruckus that went on down by the beach area where there were obnoxious twenty-somethings playing their music on their boats very loudly and just being loud-I was amazed!!! The only reason anyone would hear noise and voices of any sort would have to be because they must have had rooms located above or exactly next to the main office-the husband and wife owners were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. So I suppose, it's all based on experience from being there at the wrong time for some of the others, bad things DO happen at times, but in my opinion, this is an awesome place to come and de-stress-but if you are looking for something totally upscale, then this is not for you. But, if you want a nice place to just relax, unwind and get away from it all with friendly people and excellent accomodations, then by all means, come here and enjoy!!! My boyfriend, my 9 year-old daughter and I even have plans to come back for New Year's!!! I don't know, something about the place appealed to me.......

Stayed: May 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
2 mi away
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
#4 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to La Jolla Resort? Share your experiences!