“Very Good Meal”

Chef Michael's
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Islamorada
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A warm, inviting dining room with colorful local art adorning the walls. Small, sleek bar serving fine wine and beer. Tropical veranda seating for a lovely dinner or Sunday brunch. Fresh Local fish and seafood, Prime steak, attentive, friendly service.
Reviewed April 26, 2018 via mobile

I’ve eaten here before and have never been disappointed. Their seafood is fresh and their variety of preparation is both fun and enjoyable.
They are serious about preparation and take care in presentation. This is not your local burger and fryer food! Service people are excellent and friendly. Carrot cake is gigantic but worth splitting. Wine list is average at best...I bring my own and pay the corkage. Not cheap... but clearly fine dining. Not your typical Keys grub!
Clam appetizer is great.. Large variety of fish..
Steaks very good as well!
I save it for special nights!

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a reviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

This was the best meal we had while visiting Islamorada. Staff was super friendly. I had the duck, and it was the best I've ever had. My wife had a triple tail dish that she loved.

1  Thank MCharles44
Reviewed April 23, 2018

My wife and I arrived for our 7:00 reservations and were surprised that we were only the 2nd occupied table in the restaurant on a Saturday night. Not usually a good sign. They proceeded to sit us at the worst possible table in the restaurant. Right next to the front door in the entryway with the setting sun blasting our faces through the glass door. There shouldn’t even be a table in this particular spot! We sat for a few minutes to see if we could adjust, then asked if we could change tables since the restaurant was completely empty, minus the one other occupied table. We were then shouted at from some obnoxious slob from behind the bar pretending to be a manager, “No we can’t accommodate you at this time, the restaurant is fully booked”. I’m not sure what his definition of ‘fully Booked’ was, but clearly we didn’t share the same opinion. My wife has been dying to try this restaurant for over a year, so we reluctantly decided to ride it out and make the best of it. We both ordered the fish and we pretty disappointed. The food was just eh, ok. Nothing bad, but definitely nothing great and definitely not even close to what you would want at the prices they charge. Honestly, the food was pretty much the same as you’d find at all the local dockside pub/grill spots along the way minus the price. We paid the bill and walked out of there, no cocktails and no dessert. The place was about 1/3 full when we left and that obnoxious slob from behind the bar was hitting on every woman that sat at the bar that night. Pretty classless!

1  Thank eb1001755
Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Arrived for our reservations on a Saturday greatly anticipating the items we saw on their on-line menus in more than one place only to be Disappointed upon arriving because several of the items we wanted
1) were not on their menu or 2) the prices had increased markedly..
Turned off by the scent of garbage on the porch for outdoor seating combined with the above, we up and left.
2nd time we went for Sunday brunch...which was very highly rated and found strands of hair in the butter dish we were served with toast. OMG I was totally disgusted but polite as we were guests of another couple. The server was very matter of fact, apologized but I’ll bet she did not take anything off our friends bill! I was not in the position to ask as I was a guest. I asked for my eggs to be cooked lightly, they of course were hard!! I had to ASK for my first coffee refill.. A little later a group of very loud patrons came in and were loud and disruptive..
In getting ready to leave another server wrapped our meals having been asked to separate the leftovers from our guests and she put them all together in the same container!!
In short.. NEVER AGAIN!! The place has changed immensely. Over rated and over priced for what you get or don’t get!!!

Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

Our go to every time we are in Islamorada. The food is fresh and fabulous. The staff is so kind and helpful. The ceviche and fried lobster tail are 2 of my favorites!