“Peace, love and hogfish.... Yum!”
Review of Chef Michael's

Chef Michael's
Ranked #6 of 95 Restaurants in Islamorada
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A warm, inviting dining room with colorful local art adorning the walls. Small, sleek bar serving fine wine and beer. Tropical veranda seating for a lovely alfreso dinner or Sunday brunch. Fresh Local fish and seafood, Prime steak, attentive, friendly service.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Key Largo and we told to go to Chef Michael for hogfish. We drove only 12 miles and found a true gem. We ate at the bar. The bartender Dave was a character and added so much to our dining experience. We had escargot, salad and hogfish served two different ways. Fresh and delicious. We topped off our dinner with a creme brûlée. Everything was cooked to perfection. If you can, make reservations. Drinks and apps at the bar and dinner on the patio. We'll be back!

2  Thank Brucero40
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were staying at the Cheeca and took the shuttle to Chef Michael's for dinner one dinner one night. The service was fantastic and the food delicious! I recommend the Hogfish!

1  Thank jsfgig
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Server waited until we were ready to order to inform us of dishes that were not available; lamb was undercooked and had to be sent back; wine list is small, odd, and leaves much to be desired.

1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The only seating available was on the veranda. It was nice enough, but there was no view and the ambiance could be improved. The food, however, more than made up for this! We shared a daily special, the wedge salad, which had a romaine wedge, delicious thick-cut bacon, tomato, avocado, Gorgonzola, and Pinot noir vinaigrette. It was so delicious and unique! The entrees were huge, and well worth the $30ish price - when they arrived, I gasped because the fish were so huge! My husband had the swordfish cooked Ambassador style (sautéed with crab meat, mushrooms, capers, and key lime butter) and I had the hogfish Mixed Nuts style (crusted in pistachios, cashews, and macadamia nuts with mango sauce). Both were outstanding, and accompanied by rice and perfectly seasoned fresh veggies. For dessert, we had the key lime pie which came with fresh strawberry sauce and strawberries. It was very good, but not spectacular. Overall, this is the place to go for fresh, beautifully-prepared fish!

1  Thank lisaith
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I were in the Keys for our 10 year anniversary. We had a very successful day on the Reef Runner fishing charter. Capt. Paul suggested we take our catch to Chef Michael's. We brought in a generous portion of Mahi and Blackfin Tuna. Our waitress was very helpful as my wife didn't want the tuna seared, she prefers it well done. Our waitress spoke with the cook and he suggested a creole preparation for the tuna. We had the Mahi prepared two different ways and it was all served family style. The dishes were AMAZING! We were thrilled with how they were prepared and couldn't finish the feast.

Overall one of the best meals I've ever had and price was very reasonable (the price is significantly lower if you bring in your own fish).

3  Thank slimbob76