“Thanks for making our vacation!!”

Drop Back Fishing Charters
Ranked #10 of 159 Tours in Islamorada
More attraction details
Owner description: The Drop Back is a 40 foot custom charter fishing boat specifically designed for reef, wreck and offshore fishing in the Florida Keys. We are conveniently located at the Postcard Inn and Marina at the world famous Holiday Isle , MM 84.5, near all of Islamorada's famous restaurants and attractions. The Florida Keys' waters offer a wide variety of species, from sport fish including Sailfish and Marlin to excellent eating fish such as Dolphin (Mahi-Mahi), Tuna, Wahoo, and Yellowtail Snapper. Let our highly skilled professional crew guide and assist you while tackling your trophy catch. Captain Jon Reynolds and his courteous, friendly crew welcome you aboard the Drop Back for a Florida Keys fishing experience of a lifetime!
Concord, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks for making our vacation!!”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We went fishing for two days on the Drop Back, both days with two other folks we know. Captain Jon and First Mate Gary were great at explaning the basics for the newbies on board, but also made it challenging for those with more experience. We had the biggest catch by far of all the boats in the Marina on both days. On the first day, most of the other boats came up with nothing, while we had a nice rack of Amberjack and Mahi: the second day some of the other boats fared a little better, but we still had the best rack by far. The crew answered questions about the patterns in the water, the seaweed, types of bait, the birds, etc., and how it related to finding fish. They were intense in their hunt for a great catch, and so we had plenty of fun reeling them in! The boat was clean and comfortable inside and out. The Captian and his First Mate seem to really enjoy what they do, and had a lot of fun sharing that with us. One of the best parts was taking some of our catch to a local restaurant, where the chef prepared one of the tastiest meals I have ever had. Thanks, Jon and Gary!!

Visited April 2012
Jonathon R, Owner at Drop Back Fishing Charters, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
With the way that front came in before your trips and the full moon following your trips, we really lucked out with some fantastic catches with your trips and the others that week. We're so glad all of you enjoyed the fishing and are looking forward to having you and your husband back again later in the year....we may be able get you that first sailfish then! Thanks, Tamara for the great review.

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Day When There Was Nothing Out.”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Jon and Gary are by far the most professional and experienced guide/mate duo that I have ever worked with. My buddies and I spent a week in the keys and took this charter on the last full day of our trip. We have been to the keys countless times but have never experienced weather like we did this past week. Day 1-4 we saw about 9-10 inches of rain hit the ground. Our week was supposed to be composed of spearfishing and a little of our self guided offshore adventures. Instead it consisted of swimming through murky water, getting torn up in 10 foot swells and coming back everyday empty-handed. After almost a week of countless let-downs, we booked this trip hoping to fill our coolers for the ride home the following day. We arrived a couple minutes late and once I stepped foot on the boat it was already in gear heading out. The trip was supposed to be a half day trip because we had a tarpon trip planned later in the day. I must say, it started off very slow but the whole time I could hear Jon on the helm calling every other captain from Islamorada to Cuba requesting fishing statuses only to hear very bleak responses. No one was catching anything due to the storm system that had recently left the water temperature cooler and very choppy. Half way into our trip the tarpon captain called with horrible news. All of the fish had moved on due to the water temperature. At that time we had to make a decision of what we were going to do. We pitched making our half day trip into a full day and Jon was more than willing to accommodate. As the trip progressed we saw more birds and less fish but the determination of the crew NEVER let up. As my friends and I were losing moral Jon and Gary's only grew higher. As I was staring at my watch I realized that it was almost time to head back in. That hour mark came and went and Jon didn't budge. We changed our tactic and were able to load some very large amberjack in the boat by doing a little bottom fishing. We loaded two very nice sized fish in the boat and the third was chomped by a shark, which was actually just as exciting as landing a full fish. At that point we were all very satisfied because it was leaps and bounds better than the previous five days that we had all just experienced. However, Jon was still determined to put some Mahi in the boat. We spotted some plywood in the water and Jon was able to make out a sizable school of Mahi below the surface. Within 10 minutes we loaded 11 Mahi into the cooler, never losing one and working like a fine tuned machine. At that point we were out almost 2.5 hours past when we were supposed to be at the dock. There are VERY few captains out there with this kind of determination. I give Jon and Gary my strongest recommendation and will definitely be a returning customer. Once we arrived at the dock people slowly started gathering around because they were all dumbfounded with how we bagged so many fish. Most of the captains who still managed to be around gave us a glance and smirked... I guess it is normal for Jon to be successful when everyone else isn't. To sum this lengthy review up, If you want to catch fish choose this charter. You will not find a more dedicated crew and you will not come back empty handed. Those are my two cents. Thanks again for the great time guys. The beers tasted so much better coming in than they did going out.

Visited May 2012
Jonathon R, Owner at Drop Back Fishing Charters, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Well, Gary and I are really pleased that we did find some fish for you-especially after you told us at the start of the day what your week had been like! As you were aware, everyone was having a tough day finding fish and some of the Captains had reached 28 miles and ended up catching only a handful of schoolies. Luckily we found that piece of plywood as we were heading home-and sometimes that's all it takes to make a day come together-a little bit of luck! Hopefully you guys had a nice dinner with the mahi we filleted for you to take to Lazy Days and we look forward to seeing you this coming Winter for some Sailfishing. Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review.
Gillette, Wyoming
“great trip”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

hats off to captain jon and mate gary they never quit working to make sure you get fish did very well on dolphin on april 27th on a full day charter fishing was a little slow but they made it happen came in with 25 fish that day thanks again take his advise and go to lazy days to cook your catch premo eatery

Visited April 2012
Jonathon R, Owner at Drop Back Fishing Charters, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
We really enjoyed having you and Kelly on board with us. This was a heck of a two days with Jim and his friends catch on Thursday followed by your catch on Friday- you captured the attention of everyone at the docks that day, for sure. I glad you enjoyed taking your catch to Lazy Daze and having them cook it for you. We did the same thing this week and you sure can't beat the number of options they give you as far as cooking your own catch. Thanks for the great review.
New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day of fishing”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have fished on many other charter boats. By far Drop Back Charters with Captain Jon and Gary are the best! Thanks Guys.

Jim,
Gary and I thank you for review and want let everybody else know that your catch that day ( the one with picture of the two forty pound plus bull dolphins in the center!) was undoubtably our finest catch of this year so far! Considering that prime Dolphin season is still a good month or more away, that's quite an accomplishment. We hope the three of you can join us again in the near future.
Leon
“One for the Bucket List Truly A TRIP OF A LIFETIME”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was lucky enough to book captain Jon for two trips the beginning of April 2012.
Both days Jon and Gary ( His crew ) Amazed me .. After catching our fresh bait
a mile or so out , we headed out deep to find dolphin .
Both Jon and Gary spent relentless time scanning the horizon for signs of fish...
( birds and seaweed ) ... did not make much sense to me , being my first deep sea fishing trip !! But Jon and Gary were like a dog with a Bone they Knew there were fish to be catch and they were not giving up until we found them.
The first Day ended with three monster Amberjacks !!! What a fight they give you,
it took a half an hour to bring the first on board . The Second a Shark thought He ought to have some of it for dinner . After a twenty minute battle with the third I was able to bring the third up thru the sharks untouched . This was truly a Fun day so much that I had to Book Jon for a return trip to the sea .
The second Day ... with an early start we had dolphin on board My 9 am !
With other boats approaching the seaweed , captain Jon decided to go out farther in search of Larger Dolphin !! That Idea panned out Fantastically Finding birds soaring
over matt's of seaweed .... we found several schools of dolphin . Determinant to hook
on a large dolphin we trolled along targeting the large fish in the packs ... That was a lot of fun . After limiting out on Dolphin we had enough time to drop a line for a Large Amberjack and one Amoco to rap up the day.
Truly a trip of a life time !! I Highly recommend Drop Back Captain Jon and Gary For an off shore adventure you will not forget !
I will book Drop Back Charters the next time I am in the Keys !
MARK MOSHER LEON NY

Visited April 2012
Jonathon R, Owner at Drop Back Fishing Charters, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thanks for some new pictures of your trip Mark...that one of the full rack with all the mahi and the Amberjack in the middle was awesome. It's not often we get a single angler to come out by themselves and fish...and fish...and fish!! Your catches were phenomenal and your phenomenal enthusiasm was catchy!! Thanks for the great review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Florida Keys.