“A great place to vacation with a dog”

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Miami, Florida
“A great place to vacation with a dog”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Although other hotels in the Florida Keys are "pet friendly", the Islander really lives up to the name. Our dog was welcome almost everywhere on the resort property, including the beach, bar and restaurant. The only exception is one of the pool areas. Rooms are large, have full kitchens, and very nice screened patios with table and chairs. We had a few minor problems with the rooms when we checked in, but all were quickly resolved. The small, open air restaurant has very good food. Favorites are the conch casino, lobster tacos, and lobster mac & cheese. The service was great, especially Patrick, who was our waiter all three nights we ate dinner at the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DeeM0r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights this past week and loved it. The staff is phenomenal -- super friendly and welcoming. I had a problem with the hair dryer in our room and it was fixed immediately without any hassles. We stayed in an oceanfront king room and our screened lanai had a fantastic view. Only downside is it's a view of the sunrise and not the sunset. The property was very clean and quiet. Continental breakfast was convenient and good. We enjoyed drinks at the tiki bar, too. Highly recommend this property.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank St_Croix_Newbie
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for a few days during a south Florida road trip. The grounds are beautiful, with plenty of room to spread out and relax. My children loved daily trips to the pier to watch the fisherman and the two pools were perfect after kayaking on both the bay and ocean side (we rented from Joe on-site who was extremely helpful suggesting we divide our kayak rentals between both locations). The lanai was ideal for card games and the hammocks were abundant for reading and napping. After many nights at high-rise hotels, the architecture, layout, and general vibe of the resort was a welcome change of pace. We ate breakfast and lunch on-site ---- and while breakfast was included, it's very basic (cold cereal, toast, carb-heavy), so like us, you may want to venture off property for something else (and there are several nearby good choices). The fish we enjoyed for lunch was very good --- fresh and cooked well. It's true about the beds --- they are very uncomfortable --- so they just made me look forward to a poolside nap even more. I hope the renovations I have read about start soon --- we hope to return to the Islander again next Christmas and knowing that the needed updates have happened will make for an even better in-room experience. The friendly service, beautiful grounds, and on-site water sport rentals make up for any room deficiencies, so don't let this scare you away.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelmum415
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Spent Jan 1st with the GF at the Islander Resort. I enjoyed it. Felt comfy and friendly.
Rooms are OK (poolside Lanai) with some drawbacks and some nice features. Mini kitchen is nice, with fridge and stove, microwave and dishwasher.

Drawbacks? The bathroom was really dated. Room overall was really clean.

Pool was pretty nice, but a bit cold.
Beach had a fantastic view but swimming in the ocean seemed to be a no-go due to rocks and general muck. That didn't stop us from laying around and getting service from the bar as well. Danielle came and took our order a couple of times.

In general, I think as long as you're not looking for a 5-Star resort, this place would work out just fine for you. I'm a bit picky, but I have to say that the things that were 'wrong' with this place were nothing that would stop me from enjoying myself... and largely not worth complaining about.

I felt like I was transported back in time to the 1950's-60's, I'd definitely return for another few nights.

Room Tip: Not sure if poolside is worth the upgrade... sure you're beside the pool, but there's a gia...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt H
Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2013 Christmas week here. Loved it, I have a 60lb CoonHound " Dodge" & he had the run of the place, He didn't know what to make of the iguanas. I think he wondering if they taste like chicken. They even allowed pets in the Beachside Bar & Grill. So this is a great place if you have any size dog......

The rooms are all old Key style, I had one with double beds in the courtyard. I was still able to see the ocean though.

The rooms are very nice & clean also has everything even a full kitchen with all the pots, pans, silverware & dishes so you can cook for yourselves. There is a Mom & Pop grocery called the Trading Post that has everything you need. Picked up a real nice & thick ribeye, grilled with the convenient grill right out my lanai....

The staff was very friendly & couldn't do enough for you. Caroline a server at beachside & poolside was fantastic!

If you get a chance to talk with Marty one of the maintenance guys you will be in for a treat he has been in the Keys for 40 yrs & is walking book of info & stories.....

So yea this was one of the best places I've stay at in the 10 yrs of going to the Keys..... I will be back!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kryder58
K T, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Happy New Year Kryder58 -

We are so glad you and your coon dog enjoyed your stay. Glad he got to meet an iguana. Tell him they taste more like possum, than chicken. My dog came up from Key West and had never seen a squirrel before. We do have a weight limit for pets, sounds like you guys just made the cut off. But, otherwise we are all welcome. I will definitely tell Marty and Caroline you enjoyed meeting them. Hope you guys come back soon.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, the accommodations were adequate, beds uncomfortable and way to small for 2 people. Apparently many non guests use the facilities and it appeared that a person in need of a bath took one in the hot tub while we were trying to enjoy it with our child. It was creepy.

Staff is friendly, ground are clean and neat. Bed linens look worn/dingy. Towels thin.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelalways364
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hello TravelAlways -

Thank you for your post. You will be happy to know we are in the process of renovating as part of our Guy Harvey Outpost affiliation; new linens, new artwork, wonderful additions to the landscaping, etc... Hopefully, you will be back to see all the great updates, Karen
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our stay at the Islander Resort, let me start by saying that Robin Schlaudecker the manager and staff are simply as amazing, as the property itself. "Absolutely Beautiful" My wife and I stayed there to celebrating on our 31st marriage anniversary and we were amaze to find out that Robin has been managing this property for almost as long. The joy in which she manage the property permeated throughout the staff, an excellent group of individuals. We enjoyed the continental style breakfast that feature the sweetest oranges my wife said she had in years. Being Floridians we know our oranges! Our Villa which featured a king size bed and a apartment size full kitchen with dining table inside as well as a patio dinning table located on the screened in porch. Then just behind the screened porch we also had open air reclining lounge chairs which led to "Gardenville" as I called it, if there such a word. Featuring tropical plants, flowers and Shade trees to catch the breezes of the keys... The garden was equipped with barbecue grills and Hammocks throughout. That led out to the pool area which featured two pools one fresh water and the other saltwater, a pool side Grill restaurant... Over looking their magnificent "raised sand beach " which featured all the available amenities needed to enjoy the beach sand and water, from sailboats, kayaks, lounge chairs, water bike and more... Needless to say my wife and I love our stay, "Advertisement pictures are an understatement to the reality of this place" Must see to believe! Nice to see something that has stood the test of time and still be as impressive as our marriage. Thanks you Robin and all your wonderful staff, Vernald and Terresa

Sent from my iPad

Room Tip: Ask for Guy Harvey theme room resort going to conversion not all rooms have been converted.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple