“Not as good as I hope”

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We got there at 2:30 pm " check-in was At 3 clerk said they had 96 check outs. I understood it was Labor day weekend She said, It was garuandteed. We did not get in our room our rom to 4:30 and only after the bartender called to up for us. We walk into a "stench" of cigarette smoke The rooms are "smoke Free" , but people are allowed to smoke on the lanai. We had to go out and buy room fresher . The rest of week , went better, pool bar and pool were great, with great food and service. The entire property is very attractive and well maintained

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DIVERDICKFl_
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Hi Diver Dick - I'm so sorry your lanai smelled of smoke. We are "smoke free," but, you are correct and folks do smoke out on their porch and that smell does linger. Our next step might be to become a totally smoke free property. Happy to hear the bartender took care of you. Thank you for taking time to let us know about the smoke smell, I'll use that as an example in our next housekeeping meeting and ask them to check the porch areas better.

There are newer reviews for Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost

Reviewed September 4, 2013

To celebrate a birthday, 8 of us gals stayed at the Islander. We were delighted with the cottage type setting, the kitchen and the screened in porch.

the only improvement would be queen in stead of 2 doubles in the rooms.

Lunch at the on site Tiki Bar was great, as was the service. Lounging on the beach and the pools were great. Although we did not need it, the hoist for disabled in the pool area was indeed thoughtful. All 8 of us would return.

Room Tip: Staff very helpful and informative to meet your needs. We stayed during the week so know problems.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan432013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was a nice hotel but it could be better. It was just not clean enough for me. Awesome location and a lot of room for kids to run around. Needs better restaurant on site and more activities. The Pool was awesome and the restaurant across the street was real good and great atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank alssndrs
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a family reunion at the resort with 10 people. We stayed 10 days and had a great time. The grounds are wonderful and the beach is beautiful. Caught many fish off the beach. The only downside was the local traffic coming in and using the facilities. On the weekends car loads of people would show up using the pools and the beach. Made this peaceful place very active. There were no Security chasing them away or asking them to leave. You pay good money to saty there and people are coming in for free.

Room Tip: We had a 1 bedroom facing the ocean. Beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bzukowski
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Hello -
We are so glad you enjoyed the resort and beach. Even better that you caught fish ! We are a popular place for locals, as well as, hotel guests. We do have security on the weekends and try to limit the non-hotel guest traffic. I'm sorry if it felt crowded.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We love this hotel and the location is great. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beach is adjacent and has a wonderful view. You can bring a canopy, soda, water, music as well. The pool on the other hand is very strict. All those items are not allowed and you will be told immediately by the pool attendant. Also, they will walk around the pool constantly to make sure there is no outside food or drinks. Water sports equipment can be rented but show up early. Kids everywhere!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank JmeVC

Hello JmVC -
We are so glad you love the hotel and the location, but, so sorry you weren't happy with the staff. If you can share a little more info on that, it would be appreciated. Please feel free to email or call our General Manager - Robin@islanderfloridakeys.com. The fenced in area around the Tiki Bar and pool is all considered "food service area" by the department of health so we can't allow outside food & beverage in that area. I hope that clarifies the policy.
Thanks again for sharing your post !

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Manager at the pool - Mark Gardner - doubted my legitimacy about my guest information. Came back to me with 2 security guards and told me I was "too inebriated" to be at the pool. Mind you I had had 2 beers. And made my 2 friends and I leave. Everyone at the pool was shocked and confused. Other hotel guests told me they thought it was ridiculous and his actions were rude, unnecessary and demeaning. I will never stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: August 2013
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

I am so sorry your stay did not go as planned. I'm very surprised to hear Mark treated you with anything besides respect. That sounds very out of character for him. Can you please give our General Manager a call to discuss further ? 305-664-2031 Thank you

Reviewed September 1, 2013

There was nothing we didn't like about this resort.We went snorkeling 50 feet from our room,our lunch and dinner were marvelous...Cuban lobster...WOW.Our room was huge and stocked with all the essentials including a wine opener.And even though the ocean is only a few feet away the have two lovely pools and a spa tub,A screened in porch by the pools was great to relax in.We WILL be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon G

Thank you Sharon ! So glad you had a good time. Only another wine drinker could appreciate that cork screw as much as I do: ) Hope to see you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Chesapeake Beach Resort
Chesapeake Beach Resort
#13 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost? Share your experiences!