“Another over-priced motel in the keys.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Melbourne, Florida
“Another over-priced motel in the keys.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The motel was average, but numerous items did not work. The "free internet" did not work, I was only able to get on the internet once during my 3 night stay. The cable tv kept cutting off throughout our stay. The ceiling fan on the porch didn't work, and we first arrived, we checked in and were given the keys, but when we got to the room, it wasn't ready. the cleaner was still cleaning. She had to come back with sheets for the second bed, which arrive about a 1/2 hour after we checked in. Overall, the stay was a step up from camping. The best part was the pool and the proximity to the ocean. Although not exactly a "beach", it was beautiful. The beach was full of seaweed, although the hotel cleared a path out a clearing that you could swim in. Beds were uncomfortable, but my husband and kids enjoyed the fishing pier, and we enjoyed the water sports, but overall I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dissap0inted4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Plainview, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Overall:

The motel has the ambiance of a sprawling campsite rather than a resort. To call it a resort is somewhat an overstatement as their amenities are not typical of a Waldoff or The Ritz, however for a trip to relax, I prefer destinations just like this. We felt nestled on an island oasis with a fair amount of accommodations such as an incredible pool area, beautiful views from a relaxing tiki bar and a complementary morning continental breakfast. The location of the resort is in the center of all the action, literally within walking distance of the major restaurants and other activities in the area.

The best part of our stay was the outstanding service the manager provided during our departure. She really made an effort to ensure our trip was pleasant even though the weather was not always and the minor issues with our room such as the view or lack of.

The only reasons I would not rate this place excellent are as follows:

The gym is lacking and not air conditioned. We utilized the gym 7 of our 9 days, and unless you start early, expect to break a sweat--big time. Also, the equipment is geared towards cardio with limited weights.

There are no children activities unless paid for by water sport rental company located on the premises. Some resorts such as Indian Head Resort, in NH provides karaoke, clown tricks, painting classes, sleigh riding in the winter, etc. The Woodloch Pines provides many of the same amenities; shows for mommy & daddy, movies for the kids, archery, skeet shooting, water skiing. and round the clock home made food. Both are fantastic getaways, especially with kids or the young at heart, but their prices are substantially more.

The breakfast menu did not include an hot proteins such as eggs, ham, or bacon. Some resorts we stayed at invest in a low cost waffle maker which adds an element of home cooking to a continental breakfast. The juice and cereal bar were good, although the choice of oatmeal was instant.

The rooms were spacious providing an efficiency kitchen area and vaulted ceilings. Overall the room was clean however we had an issue with ants. I guess it is expected located so close to the water. The staff came in a sprayed immediately after our call.

The mattresses sink in towards the center so a board was brought to our room to provide support. It definitely helped. Also, the screened porches are somewhat unsightly. The front entrance can use some vegetation to make it more inviting.

The tiki bar/pool area needs music or some entertainment, at least on the weekend. Even a single piano, guitar player or calypso kettle drummer would add tremendous island flavor.

Finally, the pig roast on Saturday night s a great idea but at $ 35 per adult, the cost was a bit too high. I think a better alternative would be to sell pig roast sandwiches or sliders by the bar for those of us trying to watch our weight and wallets.

If the above issues were addressed, we would come back year after year. The location of the resort is great, the views are incredible, the service outstanding, I love the layout of the property, but would add a few more palm trees to shelter the sun. Other than the above, I would definitely recommend the islander and certainly come back.

Room Tip: Look at the property map and make sure if an ocean view is desired that there are no obstructions su...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went on a cruise on 7/5 returning on 7/8 and started for the Keys were we were to stay at the Islander Resort on 7/8 and 7/9. Upon leaving the port starting our drive to the keys we learned my wife’s father was in serious condition in the hospital. I called the hotel directly and was greeted by a very nice female on the telephone. She stated she could not cancel as my reservations were through expedia, but if they would call there, they would waive the cancellation fees. She then gave me their number as we were on the road. I informed Expedia I could provide proof of the hospitalization if necessary. Expedia called the Islander and within 10 minutes stated they waived any cancellation fees and required no proof of the hospital stay. The Islander’s concern, understanding and generosity are more than appreciated and I want to thank you very much as I realize you certainly did not have to do what you did. We will certainly be back to visit and our stay will certainly be with you. Kudos also to expedia who waived all fees also and took care of everything for me promptly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dah30fd
Lauderdale by the Sea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I should have known when we arrived. Front desk was too busy answering the phone to even smile at check-in. But, we were still happy. Went to our room located in a building near to the beach area. Regardless of what they advertise, beach view means a tiny bit of view from 200 yards away. Still happy.
I need to say we are very fun loving, no strangers to a good party but, we were located smack in the middle of a very boisterous family reunion. They must have had 10 rooms scattered around us. VERY loud music until 1-2:00 AM every night. Not so happy.
Tried to call the front desk but the room phone did not work, neither did the coffee maker or bed side lamp. Finally emailed the desk and got a response a day later on the morning we left to say they sent security who did nothing, nothing, nothing to even slow the party down. One of the worst hotel beds we have ever slept on, lumpy and worn. Had no maid service the first day there, I notified the front desk who said "I'm sorry" that's it. Not so happy anymore.
If I had paid $59.00 a night I would have expected this type of accommodations but at $238.00 a night with every single amenity an additional cost I thought I was taken advantage of.
There was no regard for the comfort of other guests regarding the noise from this reunion. We took our bed comforter off the bed to hang over the door to muffle the sound. I know it's the keys, things happen, we came to relax and enjoy the incredible beauty this area offers but NEVER at the Islander again! Spend the extra $100 a day and go to the Cheeca Lodge, heaven on earth!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Juliebythesea
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked a pool side king room for our first anniversary. Check in did not give us a very good first impression. There was one lady at the front desk taking a phone call and signaled to us that she would be a minute, which is fine. Then she hung up the phone, and ignored us. Two people walked in, went behind the desk, and also ignored us. Then another lady came in and asked if we had been helped. We said no and we are checking in. She looked us up, gave us our keys and towels and sent us on our way in less than 2 minutes. She was quick, but it was not a very warm welcome. We were never told the pool hours, breakfast hours, or where anything was. Our room was nice. It was nice to have a kitchen and the little sitting area outside. I did not find this place to be very clean though. It wasn't filthy, but the baseboards could all use a dust and the walls would benefit from a fresh coat of paint. Also, there was always hair on the bathroom floor that clearly did not belong to my husband or I. The walls are very thin and our neighbor decided they would rearrange the furniture at 11 pm every night, or at least that's what it sounded like. The pool area was nice. There were always kids having a blast. The beach was OK, the water is not really swim-able in my opinion. Lots of sea grass and fish. Very shallow and very rocky. All in all, this place did what we needed it to, but I was expecting more. It did not ruin our vacation or anything, but I was disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chelsey V
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to let us know about your stay. We will definitely talk to the front desk about check in procedures. I'm so sorry you got less than stellar service - that's no way to start your vacation. Not sure what to think about your "late night decorating" neighbors, if you reported it to the office I hope we were able to quiet them down for you. Certainly we will discuss the cleanliness issue with our housekeeping staff, there's really no excuse for missing hair on the floor. Thank you again for your time.
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were upgraded to a beach side unit for our 33 wedding anniversary, it was very nice of them! The staff is outstanding and very accomodating, making a reservation was a bit of a challenge, I could not understand the gentlemen on the other line (India call center) after two attemps I hung up and booked on line with Expedia, other than that it was a great trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

WE WOULD definately stay here again! Perfect Location! We took our 15 yr. old son and had a great time! Awesome HUGE beach area, not the best for swimming, but there are plenty of other places to swim in the ocean around the area. We took a day trip to Key West, which is 77 miles South, Robbies is awesome and the Lorilie right across the street is an inexpensive place to eat, with good food! Tower Of Pizza also delivers to the Islander and their food was good too!

Room Tip: Don't stay by the pool unless you love to hear screaming children.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 stars 4,117 reviews

Been to Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost? Share your experiences!