“Just what we needed”
Review of Islander Resort

Islander Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Islander with two girlfriends on our way to Key West. The location is perfect, 1/2 way down the keys. The room was exactly what we needed. Nothing fancy, but it was clean and well appointed. The kitchenette was great with a good sized fridge. Loved the screen porch. The location wasn't "beachy" but we enjoyed spectacular sunrises. There was a rowdy wedding party at the pool bar one night, but the bartenders handled it well. We did not use the pools but they seemed very clean, and the next morning after that party you never would have known it took place.

The breakfast was great and well stocked. The location was great for walking. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank secd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Have stayed at the Islander Resort several times over the past two years. The efficiency rooms at the Islander Resort are quite adequate and clean. It's nice having a kitchenette in the Suite with full refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher plus table and chairs. Great for a families traveling to stay for a week or longer or those fishermen wanting to stay for a spell to catch the 'big' one. You can save on preparing some of your meals right in the Suite. The added screened porch is quite nice to have some place outside to eat as well. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Conveniently located within walking distance to local restaurants and shops. The two pools at The Islander Resort are great - one being a saltwater pool with zero entry not to mention the beach area and the water sports offered.

Room Tip: Request rooms that have a pool or ocean view. Rooms located further back on the property is a long...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed a week with his parents some time in june.
- cleanliness I gave them a 3 because there were ants
- location is not exactly beach front. Our balcony overlooked trees and other vacationers balcony.. it didnt actually overlook the beach area .. its all one level... not that great. BUT what makes up for that is the screened-in balcony. Being that our 2month old came with us, it was nice for him to get fresh air without getting bit left and right. Also was nice to eat there as well.
- excellent service! Everyone is super nice and very attentive to your needs!!
- awesome breakfast selection!!
Overall I rate them a 4!~

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank MrsNoodles624
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Only stayed one day till condo rental was ready,
Very nice place , high ceilings, good soap and shampoo, nice patio,full kitchen,quiet,good free breakfast, would stay again without hesitation.
Only drawback are the lack of sandy beaches all along keys and seaweed, rocks protect coastline. We're staying in keys for a week, we drove around about a year ago and were looking to move here, due to lack of sandy beaches, wife says no, back to drawing board.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Michael A
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is our 4th year in a row that we have stayed at the Islander. We love the location and all that it offers. While we were there this time we lounged at the pool and rented a boat (super friendly guys that work at the watersports shack.) We love walking next door to Lor-e-lei, our favorite place to see the sunset. We also walked to Morada Bay for a sunset dinner one night and that was great too. We noticed how almost everyone that we saw 4 years ago is still working there, from the front desk to the bartender. I am sure we will be back next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stina76
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The rooms are basic, (older have been repainted, bathrooms small ect.) They do have a screened in porch and Kitchen area. We had 2 adults and a child. The room functioned for us. The Grounds were great, we loved the pool. Did not eat at the restaurant as I found it a little pricey. Lots of walking places on the grounds. Great central location. We did DRC and Turtle Hospital and drove to Key west for the day.

Breakfast in AM was good. Continenal, but had yougart and ceral so I was happy. Overall would go back.

Room Tip: Unless you want noise stay away from rooms near the pools. We had 136 and we were happy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hellokitty108
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Islander for our anniversary. In the past, we stayed at another resort in Islamoradora but wanted to give this a try because we read all the great reviews and loved the location - across the street from the Loreli. Here is my take on the Islander:

Oceanview rooms: Not so much. I agree with one of the other reviews in that our room should have been called "Ocean Glance" and that is stretching it. The only standard rooms that I could see that had complete views of the ocean were 111-116. Although the rooms are outdated, that's not what bothered us. It was the gap in the bottom of the door which could grant easy access to critters. There were black scuff marks on the closet and we had a toilet that needed plunged 3 times in less than 24 hours. The roomed smelled musty as if it had been vacant for some time.

Beachfront rooms: Due to the toilet not working in our Ocean Glance room, we were moved to a new room in the 500 section of the resort. Completely different from the other rooms. More updated and appeared to be better maintained. Beautiful view of the beach and ocean. Well worth the extra money to stay in one of these rooms.

Grounds Crew: Each morning I walked the beach and each morning I saw the grounds crews raking the sand and picking up garbage (if there was any). The only piece of trash I found on the beach during our stay was a single price tag from a bathing suit. Additionally, each morning the team would go from palm tree to palm tree and cut down the dead palms. Amazing job by this team.

Beach: Although the beach is not deep in sand, it is a beach area that is large for the Keys. Again, spotless and peaceful.

Front Desk Check In: I believe this was the fastest I have ever been checked in. I swear it was less than 5 minutes. The person who checked us in was friendly and welcoming. Additionally the same person had to deal with my complaints about the toilet. These complaints were handled professionally and maintenence was summoned to our room immediately.

Continental Breakfast. Plenty of food to pick from - 5 different cereal options, bagels, english muffins, french toast, juice, yogurt. At the time we were there, we did not experience an issue with seating.

Tiki Bar: Very nice and let me tell you I had the best grilled shrimp islander salad with pineapple dressing. Amazing!

Housekeeping: Varies depending on who cleans the room and your expectation. When we checked into our room, it smelled of Clorox...this tells me the room was scrubbed before checking it. (referring to room in the 500 section). After that initial cleaning, the rooms are basically wiped up and not scrubbed. Having said that, I don't clean my bathroom everyday either but I believe the expectation of most visitors is to have the bathroom cleaned every day. My husband and I are pretty tidy so this did not bother us too much but feel it is worth mentioning. I did have to ask for clean glasses and to have a pizza box removed from the room after housekeeping had just cleaned the room.

Location: Perfect! Right across the street from the Loreli....you have to go there for sunset.

Pest Free: Not a single cockroach was found!!!! big plus for most visitors.

Even though we experienced some issues with the room and had some concerns with a few other things, we would consider the Islander again. But I will check pricing of other places first. Just keep in mind, the place is a bit older and needs some TLC and I'm not referring to the decor.

Advice for Islander management. You have a beautiful beach area/pool area. A little bit of paint and maintenance will go a long way with people wanting to come back.

MMZ

Room Tip: If I was gonig to stay at this place again, I would only stay in the 500 section. If those rooms we...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple