“Nice resort in the Keys”

Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My wife, 8 year old daughter and I spent a few nights during spring break in March and had a very nice time. We've stayed at a few hotels in the Keys and found most to be expensive for what you get. For $250+/night you get Courtyard or other budget hotel quality with service that's at least a notch lower. The Islander is a nice change from that. It's not cheap either but at least it's a well maintained property, comprised of several single story buildings clustered into a few courtyards.

I think our room was in the lowest category and we were in the same building as the lobby--where they have free continental breakfast and a small pantry store--which is also furthest from the pool and the beach. There is ample parking just outside the rooms. Our room had two double beds, a full kitchen (though not much in the way of cooking utensils) and a small dining table. Our screened lanai also had a table with some chairs. There weren't too many tables at breakfast so we brought food back from the buffet and ate in our lanai. There are barbeque grills outside the units and plenty of leftover charcoal so we got steaks from the Trading Post nearby and grilled out one night. There is a coin laundry and free wifi (though reception was weak in our room).

We found service to be mostly fine. The receptionist who checked us in was friendly enough, but other times there was a young man behind the counter who mostly communicated by staring back at you when you said something to him. He wasn't being rude, that's just how he expressed himself. Oh well, move on.

The pool area is one of the nicer and bigger ones I've seen at this type of hotel in the Keys. There are two pools, one of them salt water (though very lightly) and both heated. There is a bar and restaurant at the pool but no one walking around taking food and drink orders poolside, so we had no problem discretely bringing our own food and drinks into the area, I did buy a beer at the bar and thought $5 for a Heineken was pretty reasonable.

At one end of the beach there is a pier from which you can fish, no permit needed. There is also a sports shack with a guy renting boats, fishing poles, and so on, open until 5 pm. We bought a couple of fishing poles at Walmart on the way down, got a bag of frozen shrimp for $5 from the vendor and tried our luck fishing from the pier. Only little cowfish came around and their mouths are too tiny for all the the smallest of hooks but my daughter actually caught one which made her trip.

The Islander is a pleasant property, neat and clean. We had a very nice stay and would definitely stay there again when in the area.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jack783

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Expected much nicer accommodations for the cost.
It started at check in - front desk personel were very unpersonable.
No greeting, no smile, nothing - just the room key.
Next, the room was in a building next to the maintenance area and trash bins.
Talking and banging of the trash doors continued past midnight
Room was acceptable - nothing fancy but the bathroom was in need of an update, especially the screen window which was old, bent, and barely attached to the window.
Beach location was great - both swimming pools very crowded on weekend.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room near the maintenance building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkdk
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Beautiful Keys property! The room was very clean and large. It had a screened porch and picnic table with grill outside. The bartender Vern was great! Made the best skinny margarita I have ever had with fresh limes (no mix)!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was in south Florida visiting family and took family there for a long weekend hust to get out of town. The weather wasnt agreeable for water activities so we went to various attractions in the area, and ate alot of good meals at various restaurants.
The resort met all of our needs and did not fall short in any way. If you were to visit and weather were problematic, rhere would still be plenty of activies.
Please understand as I am writing this review I was a South Florida resident and have been to The Keys often, so it is really like home for me.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: splurge for ocean view. Our room had a full kitchen and there is a lovelt small grocery store just a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Huge property with gorgeous views and lovely grounds. We spent two nights on the north side of the resort! Only drawback was the construction site next door that started early and was very disturbing . The freshwater and salt water pools were wonderful. Prices for food and drink a bit expensive, beach is a huge concrete slab covered in a thin layer of sand so if your going for the beach this isn't for you. The landscaping could use some help and trimming. The location is wonderful and I would return again!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We loved this place. It looked and felt like a resort right out of the 50's. It was peaceful at night and busy during the day. The location was near many restaurants and shops. There were many places within walking distance. The staff here is very friendly and helpful. If you need any advice on where to go for food or fun, just ask. This is one place we would like to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I just returned from my second stay at the Islander, with my teenage daughter on her spring break. We really love this place. The rooms are comfortable and updated and the location is fabulous. I really like that each unit has a lanai with a ceiling fan - outside the rooms are beautiful palm trees, hammocks, grills and an easy walk to the pool or beach, no matter where you stay. I spent hours in the hammock reading my books, and it was lovely. The pools are clean and nicely done and we spent a lot of time in those. They have a lovely bit of beach there, and you have beach access down a set of stairs. But don't expect a traditional beach with powder sand and waves - you just don't find much of that in this part of the Keys. The staff is nice and very accommodating. The breakfast is basic - mostly cereals, bagels, coffee, juices but convenient. You are a very short drive (practically just across the street) from some of the most fun restaurants around: Lora Lei's across the street where you can have a big, inexpensive breakfast right on the water, Morada Bay (best sunset view in the area), Pierre's and the Islanmorada Fish Company. The rooms are clean and nice with tile floors, which I prefer to carpet. We found a little rust on part of the shower, which didn't bother me - but I will say that if you are expecting absolute perfection in the room, such as in a very high-end resort, you might find the Islander a little too casual for your taste. I'm generally pretty picky when it comes to rooms, and I feel really comfortable in this resort. Pillows and bedding are nice. If you like to run, walk or bike, there are lots of quiet streets around for that (but again, not the beach - it doesn't stretch that far). As far as the price, I think it's a good value - especially compared to some places that I saw online in the same price range that when I saw in person on our trip looked pretty dumpy. I think that the photos on the Islander's website are pretty true to life, which I don't think it true of all the accommodations in that area. You are just a five minute walk from the Cheeca Lodge if you want to go and check that out - and truthfully, I wouldn't even want to stay at the Lodge - I think the Islander has a lot more Keys character.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Betsy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Chesapeake Beach Resort
Chesapeake Beach Resort
#13 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost? Share your experiences!