“Good, but could have been so much better.”

Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Los Angeles, California
“Good, but could have been so much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at the Postcard Inn on a family vacation. This place has everything in place to be such a great hotel. The location is unbeatable, the beach, the activities, the staff (well, most of the staff), but it missed the mark by providing bathrooms in near deplorable conditions. Our bedroom was clean and obviously somewhat recently refurbished, so to find the bathroom in this condition was frustrating. Our room was away from the beach, which initially seemed less than desirable, but in the end we came to appreciate our location. We heard a few other guests who had the beach front rooms complain that the noise from the bars kept them up late. The rooms have a floor AC unit, which is a bit noisy, but worked well and was sufficient for our needs.
The staff is very accommodating and quite pleasant with one notable concern: we had just checked in when my brother was walking to our room and crossed paths with a staff member, who asked him if he was going to his room. As soon as my brother said 'yes', pointing to the room (it was only a couple of doors away), the man quickly opened the door using his own key card - my brother hadn't asked him to do so. He never even knocked on the door and my wife and daughter were in the room. Luckily, they were dressed. Perhaps he was being overly courteous (we'll give him the benefit of the doubt), but courtesy in a hotel is as important as security and respect for its guests. Fortunately, the situation did not repeat itself.
One more thing that can use improvement: the staff at the breakfast cafe were either overwhelmed or need a refresher course in customer service. Each morning we ended up picking up our own menus, going to the counter to get our check, and almost fighting off the ill-tempered (?) bus girl to keep her from picking up our plates before we were done. We saw other patrons go through the same thing. Oh, well, some things you have to brush off, but this could be so easily addressed.

Room Tip: Unless you are going to be out or partying late, get a room away from the beach.
1 Thank Dinodad2013
Ben B, Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We've shared your comments with our staff and we sincerely appreciate your feedback. We've also addressed your concerns over breakfast and will make the changes necessary there to ensure guests have a great time at every visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a great stay for a reasonable price. Great room facing beach. Nice pool, nice little beach area, plenty of places to eat or get a drink, very friendly staff, beautiful view, really have no complaints at all! Located in a great area with plenty of places to go, things to do and many restaurants in area to choose from. No complaints from the postcard inn, they even gave us free postcards to send home to the kids, stamps included! And mailed them for us! Too cute!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lsantiago015
Thank you for your review. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place consists of several buildings. We were in the 500's overlooking the marina and from my balcony I could almost touch the people at the tiki bar.... on karaoke night we didn't get any sleep. We complained and asked to be moved to be told that the person who needs to do that wasn't in.
#1 Our room had ants and bugs
#2 The shower had been painted and was falling apart
#3 Karaoke until early morning hours
#4 A broken fan in the front of the building that sounded like a plane landing 24/7.
#5 A broken safe that beeped every 15 minutes and required 3 trips to our room to fix
#6 carpet was stained

And for all that we were charged an additional $15 per night "resort" fee. I would have preferred to have been charged less and not been next to karaoke and loud fan.
Great place if you do not want any sleep at all!

The mixed reviews are due to the different buildings. The main building may not have been as bad as ours and no howling drunk that cant sing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We sorry to see we failed you on so many levels. We've shared your feedback with our staff and will continue to work and improve. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was nervous about staying here due to the mixed reviews, but since we were diving with Islamorada Dive Center which is located at Postcard, it made the most sense. When we first arrived, we were put in room 531 which is a building with no elevators. I wasn't exactly happy about hauling my luggage up 3 flights of stairs, but I didn't complain. The room looked really nice and I was pleased. Until I walked into the bathroom. The tile was stained and the shower looked dirty. (We actually kept our flip flops on while showering.) Then I found tiny ants crawling around the cabinet. I did report that to the front desk and was told engineering would be sent to take care of it, but apparently the ants are not afraid of engineering. We decided to make peace with the ants and spent as little time in the room as possible. There are several bars located on the property as well as two pools and many water activities. On our third day, my key wouldn't work so I went to the front desk for a new one. Ashley asked if I was enjoying my stay and I told her I was after accepting the ants as roommates. She asked if I wanted to move. She kindly put us in an ocean front room in a different building (this one had an elevator!). The bathroom still wasn't great but it was better than the first one, and the view made up for the difference! We were enjoying our trip until my husband left his phone in a taxi. Rachel at the front desk went above and beyond to help him find it. She also made reservations for us so my husband could have his lobster he caught cooked for him. Hazel was also very friendly and helpful at the front desk. Bottom line-friendly staff, nice rooms, good atmosphere, many activities, but bad bathrooms. My husband says we will be back. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on an ocean view room. That's the only way I'll stay there from now on. Also, if you are not fond of climbing stairs, make sure you are in the building with the elevator!! I do think it was a little pricey though. If the room rate we paid included the resort fee, it would've okay, but since there was an extra $15 per night, I think it's overpriced.

Room Tip: Ocean View is a must! Room 531 is right next to Tiki Bar so it's loud at night
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teecoo22
Thank you for your review and the kind words about our staff. Little pests are truly a challenge in the Keys and we remain diligent with these issues. We're sorry you encountered a few challenges and we certainly do hope to see you again.
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Well, it was supposed to be a nice weekend getaway, but this place is a mess. Even though most of the rooms were renovated recently, they are still disgusting! The building is old, nothing is maintained and updating the tile and decor in a room and leaving the bathroom original, is not a renovation! Our room had ants, dirty floor, more ants, ceiling damage, that was patched and painted multiple times with multiple different colors and the room was just overall dirty. I don't expect a perfectly clean room in the Keys, but I do not accept ants on every surface of the room, my feet getting dirtier from walking inside then on the beach and a bathroom with rust and mold. There are many other things I found but you get the idea. On a positive note, the staff was polite and they did everything they could to try and help me. All the Front Desk Staff should be congratulated for doing a great job including Tia, Ashley, Nikki, Anthony and the new front office manager. Thank you all for trying so hard! I would be giving this place one star if it wasn't for them.

2 Thank blondedrum
Thank you for your review. We're sorry to read of the difficulties you faced. Our staff takes pride in their role and we appreciate you acknowledging this in spite of the difficulties. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I have one gripe with this hotel. So before I gripe, let me say that this hotel is remodeled, and is a very nice choice. You will feel comfortable in the high thread count sheets and beautifully tiled room. If you have a boat or Jet Skis the dock is ideal to tie up and there are some really nice Ticki bars to have fun at. Now for my gripe. There was a gigantic roach on our ceiling when we arrived. It took two phone calls to get it removed. Now being in the tropics pests appear, even in nice hotels from time to time and I wont hold this against this hotel, BUT first the maid that turned the room before we got there ignored the roach and then it took hours and two calls to get management to come take care of it and that really upset me. When paying more than $200 a night I expect much more and for that I say F..

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We've shared your comments with our team and we hope you can forgive our slow response time. It's indeed unacceptable. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were a little nervous when we pulled off the highway into the car park but were pleasantly surprised when we got inside the very cool, tranquil reception area. A bit disappointed when we realised that they had automatically put us in a family room which we don't remember requesting. Very nicely done rooms with excellent beachfront position; plenty of space in the sleeping area, enormous beds with plenty of pillows and great aircon. But bathroom was very small for 5 of us (incl 3 teenagers) and in desperate need of updating.
Great atmosphere onsite especially at the weekend. Good food and plenty of places to purchase beers/cocktails. Lovely location right on the beach.
Did the JetSki tour with the onsite organisers - highly recommend. Was great fun and great value if there are a group of you.
Family did 3 Scuba Dives with the onsite Dive Shop - excellent. Watch out for the Fire Coral allergic reaction from the wreck dive. One daughter got very seasick on the dive and was very well looked after by the staff.
Would definitely return but would request our own room next time and enquire whether bathrooms had been improved. Great place to stop off for a few days on way to Key West.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are glad to see you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,770 reviews

Been to Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!