“Decent hotel for the area”

Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
tampa
“Decent hotel for the area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I did not set very high expectations for the quality here and glad for that. It is a fun stop in the keys but do not expect luxury. Poor AC systems either too cold or too hot & the poor person who has to sleep in the bed next to the AC. Noisy hallways, broken ice machines, slow service if you can get someone to come. Our drinking age kids had a good time. Our young child liked the game room. Our middle age kid found some fun trying to snorkel off the beach. It was fun for the $$. The management did acknowledge our concerns, appreciate that. Fun throwback experience at PCI. PS You have to eat at Shulas - outstanding burgers!

Room Tip: Rooms by the doors are noisy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We are traveling with family and friends here in the Florida Keys. My family and I have been looking for a nice place to vacation. We live approximately 4 hours from this place. I have stayed here many many years ago before it was Postcard Inn and have very fond memories of the building and location. We decided to stop by and have a look to see if this was the place I remembered. WOW I said as we pulled I the parking lot. This place has improved its look ALOT! I was excited to go in and take a look around and show our friends and my family the place thinking it would be an awesome place to stay. I was greeted nicely at the front desk and asked for a brochure. The girl handed me a trifold and I continued to asked the room rates. She told me to look on the Internet web site. Oh okay....... She then said the website address was on the back of the brochure. A little snooty I thought to myself. However I continued to ask if they would mind I we had a look around the property to see if it was the right place for us to stay. We were given a prompt reply of "sure". As we strolled we first decided to have a couple of drinks at the raw bar. The service was terrible... We ordered a total of 4 Premade ice drinks and 6 sodas . It seemed to take forever.... Tried to order food and became invisible to the fella behind the counter. Okay so after we had our drinks we decided to check out the rest of the place. We were not on the property 2 minutes when half way to the pool area we were stopped by a young man asking for our room key. I explained to him that we were looking at the property to see if we would like to spend our family vacations here with them. His reply to me was you need a room key to be on property. I again explained to him that the front desk told us we could look around. He then again said to me that we couldn't be on the property. I turned to my son and said to him " I guess this guy just made up our decision for us about spending out money here. Now I understand security and privacy ... However to be rude to a potential customer lows my mind. What these people didn't realize is that we are traveling with approximately 45 others (friends and family) we have 4 boats and most visit here in the Keys every year and have been for nearly 20 years. We will not be staying here anytime soon. Not with the reception that the few of us received on our short scouting trip.
With all due respect. We never did experience the rooms or any other part of the place. However after the first impression was a loosing one for sure.

• Stayed August 2012
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all wheter they be good or bad. Although we do have a private beach and pool area for our registered guests to enjoy, you should have been permitted to walk through and see for yourself if you wanted to stay here. I will speak to all departments and refocus training on courteous, welcoming, and warm communiocations with guests and visitors. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I did read all the reviews before booking so I was not really surprised at the room size. The room was small but clean, it smelled nice. The bathroom renovation was poor, you can tell they did a rushed job, no space, shower was stained. Definitely bring your own TP, theirs is cheap and rough. Private little beaches are nice, you can snorkel around but there's not much to see, snorkel trips are a must if you want to see a lot of fish. There is plenty of seating and the grounds are constantly maintained. Staff will ask to see your room key to confirm you are staying there, don't take offense to it, it definitely keeps the non paying crowd off the property. This hotel does take dogs, so you will see them around and in the water at times. They have a watersports company (rents waverunners, kayaks, paddleboards, etc) behind the Jaws raw bar, they're pricey but at least you don't have to drive around. Overall the property is average, I think a bit pricey for the room, staff is nice, beaches are nice, views of the water are beautiful. There are bars on either end of the property, but by far the best one is Jaws raw bar... very deceiving. The bartenders are AWESOME, they have their hands full with the bar and food service, yet they are always pleasant and attentive. When you see this bar you think, greasy food, but no way, DELICIOUS! Don't be afraid to order breakfast from here, it's really good. I was impressed, it's not gourmet but it's flavorful home cooking without the grease.

1 Thank Roxana V
Thank you very much for your comments. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast service and bartenders. They are a hard working group of people, many who have worked here for more than 20 years. I hope to see you back again soon!

Wasaga Beach, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Were very excited to come to this hotel, being the most expensive, we thought we were in for a real treat! Not true unfortunately. Checked in and although the view was fantastic, the room was small, no place to put luggage, no fridge or microwave (although there was an area marked out for one), had to make coffee on the floor (no outlet on the shelf). The bathroom was old, no vanity for makeup etc., toilet got plugged, and the blinds on the windows showing this beautiful view, fell off at least 3 times and had to get maintenance over every time. Had a power outage one morning and went to the breakfast area where I was charged 3.00 for a lukewarm coffee. Once the power came on (about 15 minutes after breakfast was supposed to end) we asked for our breakfast and was told sorry-we are on lunch menu now. Had to drive elsewhere. Although the manager did give us some money off our room, we were still very disappointed since we were vacationing through the Keys and Gulf area of Florida for our 30th Anniversary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Port St. Lucie, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We (family of 5) just stayed at The Postcard Inn for 5 nights. We had a double queen room, and it was a tad small, but we were a group of 5, so we expected to run into each other. Our 4 year old plays musical beds, so we didn't think spending the extra money for a larger room/suite was worth it. Although we didn't pay for an 'ocean view' room, we had a great view anyway! We were right over the surf shop, in the 500 building, and had a view of the marina and ocean on the side. Although we were also right above the Tiki Bar, so we heard the music late into the night. The pool deck is a bit dirty, too. Lots of cups and straws strewn about, as well as clogged hair and sand, etc, from the pool drain. I saw the employees cleaning up every morning, so I know they are trying. The renovated rooms are nice, and despite having a sugar ant problem in our room, we felt the room was nice enough for what we paid in the off-season. I did request a fridge for the room when I made the reservations, and at $15 a night, it was worth it to have, even though it was just a mini-fridge. We enjoyed the pool, snorkeling on the beach, and the frozen drinks from the pool bar. We went elsewhere for meals (with the exception of going to Shula Burger one night, it was pretty good) but felt that you could stay on the property the entire time with no problem. Since we have a little guy, we couldn't really take advantage of renting wave runners, and we couldn't decide whether to rent a boat, but we saw lots of people doing so, and if that is what you are looking to do on vacation, then PCI is a great spot for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your excellent review. We wil look afterthe pool a bit more closely to insure that drains and filters are cleaned out more frequently. Glad to hear that you had 3 children with you and that they will have fond memories of Postcard Inn. Please come back soon and often.

Managing Director
South Point, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Decided to stay here for a weekend trip. Read many reviews good and bag and I have to say that the good reviews were dead on!

The PostCard in is nice and looks exactly like something you would see on a postcard! We arrived to the resort very late due to delayed flights and a nice drive from Fort Lauderdale. The staff who was working the front desk had already taken care of everything since I would be arriving late and the gentleman working at night was very quick at getting us taken care of.

The room was nice and very cool! We were in the 300 building and our room had a balcony and a few chairs. You could tell the room had been remodeled. Looks just like the pictures online. Beds were very comfortable.

The pool area was nice and there was another pool which was less busy near our room in the 300 building. The beach area was nice and clean, there was a hammock and many chairs to relax in, as well as cornhole boards. There are 5 bars (Rum Runners, Raw Bar, Wreck Bar, Tiki Bar, as well as a bar by the pool). Kim at the bar by the pool was very friendly and could suggest a lot of things to do.The wreck bar was always packed and serves food which is good. There is another restaurant named Shula Burger but never ate there. The Tiki Bar and Rum Runners was nice just wished there was more going on the Sunday that we were there as it was dead.

There is a Marina on the property. There you could rent boats. Also there was a spot to rent jet skis and kayaks. The boat and jet skis are a little expensive. There is a sand bar in the middle of the ocean that is always packed with boaters having a great time. Decided to rent a kayak as it was the cheapest way and went out... very neat and suggest that you do it!

If you get a chance make sure to drive to Key West. It's about an hour and thirty mintues from the resort but well worth it! If you are looking for a nice place to eat, check out Lazy Days. Kim suggested it to us and it was very nice and had good food.

All in all can't wait to go back! The resort is nice and relaxing, rooms are comfortable, and has nice places surrounding the hotel. Can't wait to go back and enjoy it more.

Thanks for a great weekend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just stayed here this past week (August 1st) Was very hesitant b/c a friend had said it was not good, but she knew the place before their recent renovation. Let's just say whomever decorated the lobby and rooms did a great job! Everything is beachy and clean. The lobby is very cleverly decorated, there is a children's area with some video games, chalkboard areas every where and even a small rock climbing wall!
We were in a regular queen room in the 400 building which is on the side of the property. Although I did not love the location of the room, it was a very quiet building and as I said before wonderfully decorated and clean. The bathrooms are a bit small, there is definately not enough counter space, but it's manageable. As stated in previous reviews, they definately need to have a small fridge in the rooms. I also disliked the placement of the air conditioner, if you were on the bed next to it you would get massive air blown on you all night long. There was no way to adjust where the air flowed. Also our unit seemed to not be working correctly, we kept it on 60 and the room still stayed warm at best.
The beach area the first day had tons of seaweed but the next day they did have people raking it up. Also the main beach pool was very dirty, we felt we could not even use it. The water was cloudy with all kinds of material ( and I do not mean stuff from nature) floating in it. We also witnessed a kid throwing-up on the pool deck and then returning back in the pool. So we left, never to return to that pool. We did use the smaller one by our building which was clean b/c noone seemed to use it often. But it had no ammentities. Had to walk to main pool for towels. Also know they do provide towels and chairs but if you want any kind of shade you will have to rent an umbrella which was $20 for 4 hours. All in all we had a nice stay here. So if you want a relaxing trip laying on a beautiful beach, snorkling or enjoying some drinks with clean rooms this is a great choice in the keys!

1 Thank cinderella5272000
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary review. Glad to see that you enjoyed our new decor in the lobby and guestrooms. We have received a great deal of positive feedback since our renovation was completed last January. I will take a fresh look at those umbrellas prices and make sure they are competitively priced. If they are not we will definitely reduce the price.

Thanks again for staying with us and I hope you will return soon!

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,778 reviews

Been to Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!