“Great day offshore with Captain Larry”

First Choice Charters, Deep Sea Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you are in Key Largo or Islamorada we should be your "First Choice" for offshore fishing! Hello my name is Captain Larry Wren and I would like to invite you aboard our boat the “First Choice”...My one goal is...To provide you with a safe fun filled day, and to catch as many fish as possible! We offer full day, three quarter day, and half day fishing charters, in a relaxed, professional, fun-filled family atmosphere! Custom Merritt Sport fishing boat powered with twin common rail diesel engines, no diesel fumes. Of Course there is a clean toilet on board! Features Specializing in live bait and kite fishing Offering all types of fishing. Everything supplied for your trip, (food and drinks are optional)Half, Three Quarter, or Full Day Charters Licensed crew & experienced staff Up to 6 passengers We never keep your fish! All fish caught will be filleted and bagged
Garner, North Carolina, United States
“Great day offshore with Captain Larry”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked with First Choice on a recent family trip to the keys. I saw a number of other very positive reviews on TripAdvisor and that said a lot given all of the other charters in the area. This was my wife and my daughter's first offshore trip and I wanted them to have a good experience, especially as far as the conditions were concerned. I let Larry know and he was very accommodating. He stayed in close communications in the days approaching our scheduled date to keep us updated. We actually moved it out a couple of days to get the best weather. I'm glad we waited because the seas were calm and the skies were blue. Within just a few minutes of leaving the dock, Larry's mate, David Jones, spotted some war birds diving for bait. David quickly got a bait in the water and we actually saw a Mahi-Mahi charge the bait. This got us all pretty excited, but he didn't hook up and we didn't have any more strikes in that area. Our next stop was the world famous Islamorada Hump, about 10 miles offshore. Reports on the Mahi-Mahi and tuna had not been good so David set us up on some bottom fishing for Vermillion Snapper. Every time Larry would get us over the ledge we would hook up on the snapper - in some case two at the time. We ended up with a dozen or so. There were lots of other boats in the area, but they were all "fishing" and we were catching! Larry and David know what they are doing. The girls had loads of fun and the ride was great on the way back home. The seas were flat calm. Larry cleaned our catch for us back at the docks (where we saw some HUGE tarpon). He also recommended we take our fillets to Lazy Days restaurant and have them prepared them for us. See my other review on that awesome meal. Thanks again to Larry and David for a trip we won't soon forget.

Visited October 2013

Winchester, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What an experience!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family and I booked Capt. Larry for our first deep sea trip together and we were not disappointed. Within an hour of being on the fishing grounds we caught a nice slammer dolphin and some small ones but the day was still early. After several schools of nice fish we hit the mother load including a monster bull that my girlfriend brought in, with my help, and then another nice one for our son to haul in. The bull was so big I plan on having it mounted. Larry and his first mate Dave did not stop looking for fish until the cooler was full. We had the biggest and best catches on the dock that day and it was a trip we will never forget. I have fished from Texas to Maryland and have not found a better crew. I will book First Choice Charters for any trip I plan to take to the Key's! Thanx again Capt.!

BubbA
Winchester Va

Visited June 2013
2 Thank BubbA G
Appomattox, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First Choice Charters”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I wanted to go fishing, we had already talked to another captain two days earlier but both us us had no idea about deep sea fishing, so we went back to the dock. While looking around at the boats up walked Larry,he had been painting at home and was picking paint off his arm, and introduced him self to us. Then he asked the magic question " Do you want to go fishing"?, Do you want to catch a limit of fish? He told me we would do just that. " AND WE DID. Larry and his fist mate Dave were first class all the way. The minute we got in the fishing area Dave was all over the back of the boat with binoculars like a man on a mission. we caught a few schooling fish, then Dave looked up at Larry and said let go out deeper and cruse around, off we went. then it happened we caught fish like crazy. and Dave hooked me up with the biggest fish of my life a 49 pound dauphin, and our limit of fish. I say enough about the both of them . But thank you for the great time. And we will be back next year to fish with you guys again...

Thank you again !!!
Bruce & Linda Canterbury

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Bruce C C
Glen Ellyn
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Charter of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been down to Islamorada now 4 years in a row. We have done various fishing from Offshore to Back Country even some shore fishing. We had the pleasure of being on the First Choice Chater on Sunday, March 24th, out of Holiday Isle/Post Card Inn Marina. Captin Larry Wrenn and his first mate Dave were not only Fantastic but AMAZING!!! They definitly knew what they were doing! From getting bait to finding the fish! We were able to catch a "boat-load" of fish.. (Pictures attached). We found our off-shore charter for many years to come!!! If you want excitiment, thrill fishing and just an all around great adventure, look no further!! First Choice Charters, Captin Larry Wrenn, Mate Dave is your DEFINITE choice to go with!!!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Michell S
Boston
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best offshore crew I have ever fished with”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have fished offshore and inshore charter boats across N. America and the Caribbean and this is one of the best experiences I have ever had. I also run my own boat in New England and have high expectations of a charter captain and crew. Capt. Larry Wren and Capt. Dave Jones are the best crew I have ever fished with. I was fishing with my wife and 13 year old daughter, both excellent fisher”woman”, and what made this trip stand out is it felt like it was our boat only better because of having a very talented mate in Dave Jones. These guys recognized we wanted to fish versus just reel in the fish and they were very comfortable with us being part of the crew. We had some specific things we wanted to do which we discussed before the trip and these guys made it happen. They didn’t freak out when I gaffed my daughter’s 40lb Almaco Jack or Wahoo and Dave was such a competent fisherman/mate it was enjoyable to watch him in action. Outstanding! A stand-out in the Islamorada fleet.

Visited February 2013