Review Highlights
Capt C!!

I’ve known the captain from my time out West where he outperformed others in the fresh. In heading... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Evergladesnavigator
Great inshore guide.

A friend and I had an all-day, February trip with Josh in the Everglades. We caught seven species... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
tpaulk6325

All reviews captain josh flats boat redfish fishing experience great trip the florida keys maverick everglades rods tackle beginners guide fisherman equipment bait tarpon
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2020

Went out for with Captain Josh for couple days in early January and ahas a great time. Josh has top of the line equipment and is very professional and patient as a guide. It was my first time with fly rod on salt water and Josh was able to put me on to several species of fish. When conditions weren’t ideal for fly fishing we switched to spinning rod and caught several fish including a 20 pound red fish. Josh is hard working and knowledgeable and makes fishing fun - even for beginners. Highly recommend Josh to anyone interested in fishing the keys, especially for fly fishermen.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 11, 2020

Captain Josh/Moon Cast Anglers is the best in the Florida Keys. He has the best mechanical boat equipment, very good tackle, great navigational, and knows where the fish are. He has multiple rods with different baits/lured ready to go so not much time wasted doing reconfigures. But what makes him the best is his passion to fish. It’s a special thing. He’ll go the extra mile, he’ll stay out a little longer, and he’s just great company to have when fishing. And of course the great pictures!
Our day started early on time and properly baited. We made our way out pretty far ahead of the other guides stopping at spots. We had decent action all day and it just kept getting better. By the end of the day we had each landed 2 dozen fish which of course included the targeted species. It honestly was the largest Snook I’ve ever seen and I’ve been fishing these waters for 2 decades. 2 people on the boat and at times 3 rods in the water. Made for a great day and relaxation following the holiday craziness. Thanks so much Josh. See ya in April!!!
Marshall W.

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank 803marshallw
Reviewed December 29, 2019 via mobile

Having fished with Capt. Checkeroski over the last five years between Florida, Idaho, and Mexico, I have come to know him as a hardworking guide and friend. Each time I step in his boat I’m always impressed with his level of professionalism and determination to make the most out of every minute of every trip. My last trip was no different as we chose different fishing locations throughout the week based on weather and tides. While Josh prefers to target fish on the fly he rarely turns down the opportunity to throw conventional tackle when the conditions suggest. Although I was originally reluctant to “spin fish” on a windy overcast day with less than ideal tides, we managed to jump multiple tarpon and bring a handful of snook to hand by being versatile and leaving my ego at the dock. This is just one example of Josh’s unique ability to find fish when other guides are struggling to find them.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank jeffsW6099SV
Reviewed December 29, 2019

I've had several great days with Capt. Josh. He is always up for trying new things, but never shows up without a plan in order for the day. He knows the water he fishes very well, posses the gear to get him there and has a great attitude to make the day enjoyable and memorable.
His Maverick flats boat is immaculate and outfitted with the best equipment I've seen. His fishing gear is outstanding. Sage rods, Tibor reels, hand tied flies...I have no problem showing up with just my lunch. I know he'll have everything I need for a great trip.
All of this said, the best thing Josh offers is a a ton of energy and hard work. You can truly tell he loves what he does. I would recommend Capt. Josh / Moon Cast Anglers to anyone seeking a great fishing trip in the Florida Keys.

Date of experience: December 2019
2  Thank 5384TG
Reviewed December 29, 2019

Hi everyone! If you are interested in a fantastic, fun, educational fishing experience in the skinny waters of Islamorada and into the backcountry of the Everglades then Captain Josh is your guide! My 15 year old son and I caught a bunch of fish yesterday including a mixed bag of snook, redfish, trout, black drum, and a cool bonnethead shark! I specifically researched online for a guide with the right boat for backcountry and his Maverick was tricked out with new Simrad electronics and stacked with the best fly and spinning rods, gear, artificials and plenty of live bait for the day’s needs. Josh was very well versed in the area and worked hard and tactfully taking us to multiple spots and putting us on fish at each one. He took time to teach us the right way to feel for each kind of bite and which busting fish were bait or predator. I will definitely book again with this funny, skilled, patient, and cool mustached guide who’s been everywhere and caught everything all over the place! My son and I caught the fish we targeted and laughed the whole 8 hour trip. Josh moved with his wife to Islamorada a few years ago and is committed to his customers positive fishing keys experience! And he’s not too bad on the eyes either, just ask him! Can’t wait for our next trip down to Islamorada with Josh to chase permit, tarpon and bones in another season!! Thank you Captain Josh for a lifetime of memories with my son enabling us to take away new fishing stories and fish photos to boot during our action packed day of sun and fun with you!!

Date of experience: December 2019