“Very good food - friendly atmosphere”
Review of Ma's Fish Camp

Ma's Fish Camp
Ranked #14 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant atmosphere is warm and friendly. Our food is prepared delightfully light, healthy and flavorful. Our seafood is grilled with lovely toppings - and if you desire fried, we fry in rice oil for good health. We do have delicious, made in house desserts including our Awarding winning traditional Key Lime Pie, German Chocolate Cake and locals favorite Hummingbird Cake. MA's also has a desirable Wine and Beer menu.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My wife and I had dinner here on our way north from Key West. Honestly, we initially selected it because of the combination it was on our hotel's restaurant list and reviews sounded good on TripAdvisor. Certainly glad we did because it was a delightful meal.

To start, the hostess (owner?) greeted us at the door, seated us and and chatted with us at the table like we were old friends. I noticed she made a point of speaking with each table even if she didn't seat them. Nice friendly touch.

I had the shrimp scampi and my wife had the fried fish basket. My shrimp were plump and fresh. They were served over rice and it soaked up the liquids and made for a wonderful taste. The shrimp tails were trimmed so you could dig right in and enjoy! My wife is not a big fish eater unless it is fried and she liked her mahi mahi fish basket, although the fish was a little dry. However, she said the homemade tartar sauce ("No way this came from a jar") more than made up for it. The hush puppies were approximately the size of tennis balls.

Unfortunately we didn't save room for dessert - maybe next trip!

Many places in the Keys try to formulate an "attitude". Where MA's succeeds more than others is by having an authentic atmosphere. We'll be back.

There are newer reviews for Ma's Fish Camp

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Had hogfish pan seared with cheese grits...awesome! Amazing key lime pie. Service was great. Highly recommend.

1  Thank rcwgator
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

The meal was a nice piece of grouper Baja style with two sides. Although it was excellent it was also too expensive. The grouper was $26 and the Baja was an additional $4. That's $30 if you were counting. It came with delicious mixed veggies (a little oily) and sweet potato fries, nothing special. The atmosphere was a little boring and the waitress was expectedly on island time. We couldn't tell if she was rude or just slow with her responses. We concluded that she was just a little slow, but hey it's the keys... If you're in a rush you're in the wrong place. We wanted to try the hummingbird cake for dessert but decided to be good. I would definitely come back here again and it's across the street from morada bay so if you have dinner early enough you can walk across the street for sunset cocktails.

1  Thank boston2cali
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Food is good, but the strawberry key lime pie is to kill for. It is big enough to share and is very refreshing.

1  Thank gcryar
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The outside is rustic but inside it is a jem. I am a food snob and also a published food author. I ordered a scallop dish with scallops at least 2-3 inches tall and as tender and fresh as can be. My husband ordered a special shrimp dish. The coleslaw was completely homemade and by a simple taste it is not like any other. The owner came to our table and stayed about 10 minutes. Ignore the reviews of average they probably would be happier with Burger King, lol. On our vacation, we went back the next night and we had the staff and owner come back personally to our table to welcome us. The food was savory and melts in your mouth! They even used fresh local wahoo in the fish dip. Amazing!!!

2  Thank GlamTonya