“Great day fishing with Captian Ted”

Bud and Mary's Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive Center featuring scuba diving, snorkeling and trips in a glass bottomed boat.
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We went fishing with Captian Ted. He did a great job finding the fish and he is a really nice guy. We were a little worried about going on a charter with a new Captian but we lived him and we would deffinately go with him again. We also stayed in one of the rooms and it is a nice place.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed December 12, 2012

On Bud and Mary's property there is a dive shop, marina, and cafe....and it is at the Marina where you purchase your ticket for the full day fishing trip...I suggest you call ahead to put your name on the list...they will not go out until there are at least 10 people going. With this fishing trip you must supply your own lunch and drinks...breakfast and lunch can be purchased at the deli/grill...I have been told that the chef there is a gourmet chef and you can see the difference in the food he prepares a fry cook he is not and it is resonably priced. I believe 20 people is all they will take on this boat which is not a crowded boat for fishing...the captain and deck hand are very helpful and together make this a great day of fishing...the captain also kite fished for Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) and then would hand the pole to a random passenger to bring it in and they would get to keep the fish. They worked constant changing hooks and pulling our fish off for us. That day we were catching yellowtail snapper and went home with about 8 pounds of filet. The excitment of the trip was when Will noticed Sailfish in the area and attempted to catch one...which he did, what a beautiful fish...he also handed the pole off to someone else to bring in. I can't wait to fish with Bud and Mary's fishing crew again....The day was worth way more than the $65 plus tips...DO IT.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Very casual & laid back outfit. We called here a couple of months before visiting because we didn't know how quickly a party boat fills up and this would be our first trip to the Keys. We stopped by the day before our scheduled trip and confirmed they had us on the list. Sure enough, it was just written in. We did not have to pay in advance or anything, just show up. In fact the majority of the people that went on our trip just arrived that morning and hoped there would be availability which there was. The great news was there was only about 20 guests so the boat staff was able to assist everyone quickly.

There was a biologist on board who measured and tagged the fish we caught. Some fish were kept but the majority of fish were put back into the water. My only fault on the trip was that it was difficult to get good pictures of my husband's catch because the fish needed to go back into the water quickly.

We reef fished. We caught plenty of fish and different varieties also. Another type of fishing we did was fantastic. The crew would make balls out of sand and chum. They would wrap excess fishing line from your rod around it, add a shrimp on the hook and throw it into the water. Then you let out some additional line and start reeling in quickly. Yellow Snappers and Blue Runners would take the bait and provide an exciting time reeling in.

We would definitely book again this business if we ever make it back to the Keys.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We had a rough start on our trip and we were starting to believe the bad reviews on here... Before we could even get going, I 'chummed' the waters (the wife) but my husband was a trooper and got the real experience. It would have been nice to have rod holders on the boat but the overall experience once John, the mate, and Walter, the Captain, got talking with everyone the trip improved drastically. They did a great job for a two man is crew with a boatload of people. Also, my husband says that Walter is funny as heck.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2011

On 9/17/2011 I booked the houseboat for two nights. Unfortunately, after we checked in we found many insects (bed bugs) in the sheets and under the mattress and were unable to accept the accommodations.

As we checked out the gentlemen were apologetic and credited my account for the room fee but unfortunately my credit for the down payment of $150.00 never went through although I do have a receipt for the credit.

Here is Bud and Mary's response:

"You are correct in noting that your initial deposit of $150 was not refunded. Unfortunately we will not be able to credit you for the deposit due to the fact that cigarettes were smoked in the room during your short stay with us. This violates our hotel policy and creates a strain on our house keeping staff.

Have a nice day."

An ashtray was sitting on the kitchen counter which I used as I entered the room to unpack. Total duration of my "short stay" unpacked, saw bedbugs, and packed.

Too bad as I had enjoyed the houseboat accommodations before. They offered "room 3" as an option (very dingy) with 4 men sitting directly outside the room on a picnic bench partying and ogling my girlfriend as we inspected the room.

We declined and I was forced to dispute the fraudulent charge.

2  Thank CK N