“Good boat dive trip”
Review of Holiday Isle Dive Shop - CLOSED

Holiday Isle Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Underwater adventure for the whole family.
voxboston
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good boat dive trip”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Laid back, but of course safety conscious. Boat left @ 1PM, motored out for @ 20 min, then we did a 45 minute dive, surfaced (collected the snorkelers) then repositioned and did another 45 minute dive.

I rented all gear (snorkel, mask, fins, BC, regulator, etc). Regulator was good / modern design (octopus).

Reefs were really good, water super warm (no wetsuit required!).

Notes: I was solo diver, lucky to buddy with another solo person who was a safe diver. There was no divemaster down with us from Holiday isle - so, if you're wanting 'guided' dives that probably has to be arranged specially.

Nice guys, clean boat, recommended.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank voxboston

St. Louis
“Good Dive Shop - Worth Returning To”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Kelly and the crew were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We have our own gear and I was particularly impressed when they offered to store it overnight and dry it with fans. They did this two evenings in a row. My son was doing his first dives since being certified. They were all very patient with him and encouraging. They paid a bit closer attention to him to ensure a good first experience. The dive sites were good. A lot of fish life. On our six dives, visibility varied from 50 ft to 80 ft. The deepest dive was only about 29 feet, so we were able to stay down 45 minutes on each dive. We didn't get in as many dives as we would have liked, partly because of the weather and partly due to lack of demand. There were not always enough customers for the dive shop to justify a trip. The surface intervals were very short. I personally prefer longer intervals because I enjoy relaxing in the boat between the dives. Because of the short surface intervals and the relatively close location of the dive sites to the dive shop, I felt a bit rushed at times. There was either no head on the boat, or the crew didn't inform us of such. They provided water, but no juices or snacks. The boat had a nice dry-well. The dive master would stay on the boat unless you paid extra for him to dive with you. However, they gave a good overview of the sites and we had no problem maneuvering by ourselves. A water hose was available to clean your gear, as well as a bucket of treated water for cleaning your dive suites. In summary, I believe this is a good dive shop and Islamorada has some very good diving. If diving for a full week I think it would be best to hit about three different islands. Though many sites are available off of Islamorada, I was given the impression that they generally run to the same six dive sites. It might be difficult to hit a different site every time if you stayed on the same island, using the same shop. For the time spent on Islamorada, the Holiday Isle Dive Shop should be a safe bet.

Visited March 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Really Great Guys - Beautiful Snorkeling”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Kelly at Holiday Isle was super helpful and friendly on the phone and in person. He let us know that they choose their snorkel spots based on the best water clarity for that day. Both spots they took us to had great clear water. The first spot, "Davis Reef" was really cool but would have been a bit better for SCUBA because of its depth. The second spot "The Plug," was excellent. Between the two spots, we saw nurse sharks, a huge green moray eel, a sea turtle and lots of colorful fish. The snorkel gear was in good condition and they said they clean it with a medical-grade disinfectant after each use. The boat was clean and I felt confident that they took safety seriously. They also made it clear that touching the reef is a big no-no. And here's where they get the real grand prize... Despite very calm waters and lots of motion-sickness medicine, I got seasick and missed most of the second snorkel spot. I was so disappointed. The divemaster Mark really went out of his way to make sure I was ok... he was a super-likable guy who went above and beyond the call of duty.

2 Thank TheCuriousB
Maple Grove
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seven Out of Eight Years, And We'll Be Back for More”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We have gone diving with the Holiday Isle crew seven of the last eight years. (We took a year off for a trip to Cayman.) Forty-eight dives for me. Greg taught both of our sons how to snorkle when they were younger. Drew later certified our oldest, and Greg handled the check out dives for our youngest. They treat us like family, and we consider them part of ours. We'll be back!

1 Thank luntd
Maryville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Time”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This was my second time diving with these guys. The dives where fantastic along with the the crew. There where several nurse sharks and a large turtle and eagle ray. The reefs are incredible. Drew and Greg are very professional and go out of their way to make sure you have a fun time.I will definitely be back soon and hopefully dive the Eagle.

1 Thank CaribeDiver59