“Our own little slice of paradise”
Review of Coral Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Coral Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Kansas
“Our own little slice of paradise”
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Our experience at Coral Bay was nothing but wonderful! During our stay we were able to soak in some sun or snorkel with the parrot fish. The resort supplied guest with snorkeling equipment with no extra charge. There were also rafts to use for swimming. We aren't big into fishing so it was nice to find that the resort offered other activities for us to enjoy.

During the evenings most guest were outside enjoying the beautiful sunsets and amazing night sky. We had originally planned to only stay for 2 nights but added an extra night on after having such a wonderful time.

The room that we had (#5) had a kitchen (oven, microwave, full refrigerator, table, etc). Everything was very clean and well kept. There was a nice front porch with a table to enjoy dinner or a drink at. My only complaint about the room is it was not very well insulated regarding sound. During our first night stay no one was in the room next door but on the second night someone came to stay. I'm not sure if that person was just noisy and clumsy or if the walls are paper thin. But every time they would do something it sounded like they were banging on the wall. But it didn't last all into the night so it was ok. All the guest were very friendly.

Our only other mishap with Coral Bay was on the day we arrived. Somehow our reservations got canceled a week before we arrived and we only found b/c I called a few hours before arriving. No one claims to know how it happened but we were discounted $20 per night and found a bottle of wine in our room upon arrival.

I would definitely recommend this place to a friend! I plan on making a trip back down there soon!

• Liked — Very relaxing and just beautiful
  • Disliked — Nothing!
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kansas City
Reviewed June 6, 2008

WOW! What a nice place to stay in the keys! Centrally located to everything you'd want to do in the keys, great fishing, watersports and great places to eat.

Coral Bay Resort sits far enough back from the highway to not hear the traffic. The room we stayed in was immaculate to say the least (# 12) as well as the pool, sand, dock, grounds and tiki hut. Overall, the room and surroundings are the epitome of Keys charm in our opinion. If you're looking for a 'Hilton' type room . . . keep looking, but if you want a peaceful, serene or even romantic stay with true 'Keys feel' then this is the place I'd recommend.

The staff there were beyond friendly and helpful, they went well out of their way to insure we had a pleasant stay. Be sure to take the time to enjoy feeding the parrot fish in the tidal pool! Oh and visit the love bird cage too.

We not only had a kitchen complete with all utensils but also an outdoor BBQ grill should we have chosen not to eat out, There is a nice patio furnished with a table and chairs just outside the front door to the room that made a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful view with a bottle of wine.

The only complaint I have is about a kid racing around the gravel parking area on a golf cart like it was an ATV on a MX track. He slung pea gravel onto my Screamin Eagle Harley Ultra Classic a couple of times and had a near miss encounter when he managed to get the golf cart stopped a matter of just inches from my front fender. He apparently noticed the look of . . . shall I say displeasure? on my face and stayed clear of my bike for the rest of the evening. I should also mention that this happened only one of the three nights we stayed there and I don't know if he was a guest or a resident.

• Liked — The immaculate room and grounds
  • Disliked — Kid being allowed to run rampant on a golf cart
Swansea, Wales
Reviewed May 18, 2008

A perfect location for relaxation! The facilities are good and the staff were unfailingly helpful and polite whenever we sought them out. Our efficiency room was maybe a little dated, but it suited our needs just fine. Every unit had its own decked porch with table and chairs, adding a very convenient outdoors space.

The pool and beach/dock areas were beautifully clean, and the whole site was colourfully planted and well maintained. I almost felt guilty walking on the freshly raked sand every morning! It was very peaceful to be able to sit on the decking watching the sunset with only the sounds of the ocean for company.

Our one complaint would be the lack of sound-proofing between rooms. If our neighbours had stayed up late talking, we would have heard every word - luckily, they kept the same hours as us!

If in the area in the future, we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - although we would keep our fingers crossed for quiet neighbours!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of sound-proofing
Long Island, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2008

The reviews sounded great and I am a true beliver in Trip Advisor.My family which included my wife (5 mo pregnant) & 3 yr old son arrived at the hotel and were advised that the room was not ready and to"stay out of the room" more than once.We waited and laid by the beach.The grounds are nice and well kept and a small beach for younger ones.We were finally able to enter our room which was RM#3 .There was a strong odor of bleach and a stain in the middle of the floor.The room was neat but was not as updated as the photos show on the resorts web-site.The room needed some updating.We decided to make the best and left to do some shopping.We returned in early evening and were Surprised by a Large Cockroach which was on the wall over the beds.I immediately called the Manager (the office is closed @ 5:pm) on the emergency phone outside the office.I was then advised that it is the "Keys" and bugs are common.The manager stated that there was bug spray in the kitchen.I advised him I was not staying at the hotel and would be checking out immediately.The manager stated he understood and would not charge my credit card. We left the location without problem and were not charged on the card.Just do further research on some of these hotels listed.

• Liked — I left early
  • Disliked — The uninvited Guests
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank cpac9
Minnesota
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed with my daughter, we loved it. It was clean, we felt safe, it was quiet, but we didn't come planning to party wild. Small facility, but very comfortable. The pool is fresh water which is a must for me; it was average in size, but never crowded. Convenient location to food, liquor and site seeing.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — No beach walking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, ON
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Found this place via tripadvisor.com

Was a nice, quite, small cottage like resort. Very quiet. Property was kept up well, pool was warm and clean, and we had it all to ourselves for the most part.

Rooms are clean, spacious, and the kitchenette was good too. Our fridge was noisy, but apparently was about to be replaced.

Beach was raked daily and clean.

Wifi was an added bonus, but didn't reach our cottage (add a booster!) Worked a bit as I stood outside the office for a minute getting my snorkeling gear.

If ever back in the Keys, we will be back.

• Liked — Setting
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Gulfport, FL
Reviewed November 15, 2007

Leave your schedule behind when you check in to the Coral Bay, one of the last remaining authentic Keys hideaways and a favorite of our family whenever we visit Nana. In the mornings, my son and I walk up to the tidal pool to feed the parrot fish and play on the beach with our cousins while Dad sleeps in. On warm afternoons, we go exploring the turquoise waters of Florida Bay on the edge of the Everglades by boat if we’re in the mood for an adventure. But we’re just as happy swimming in the pool, reading a book on our front porch, or fishing without ever leaving the resort. Evenings are our favorite time when all of our family and friends meet back together for sunset on the dock.

The Coral Bay is a peaceful retreat with lots of Old Keys charm. We love the homey cottages nestled on several acres of mature palm and flamboyant trees, hibiscus and bougainvillea that have grown up over decades instead of overnight. The Middle Keys is also rich with history and small pleasures like Robbie’s where you can eat breakfast, feed a school of giant tarpon off the dock and sign up for an eco-tour, scuba diving or fishing trip. But in the end, what we always take away with us from our great stay is the kind spirit of our hosts Vicki, Shane and Melissa.

• Liked — Old Keys Charm
  • Disliked — That I had to go home after five days. Next year we'll book longer.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family