“Charming, Memorable, Stunning Location”

Sands of Islamorada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Had two nights staying at the Sands and loved the experience. Very home-like place, rooms simple, super-clean. Kathy is a tremendous host - along with her husband. Very responsive from the first email through to providing advice when we stayed there. From the room, literally twenty steps and you are at the ocean. There is a jetty and the sunsets and sunrises are amazing. No restaurant = no problem as there is a terrific place just seven doors away - Lazy Days. Kathy will book and get you a great table - go for the terrace. Local sea food, freshest fish - and great steaks. If you are in Islamorada for fishing, charter with Rich Burson. Kathy can help out here as well. Sands is very quiet, very charming and a truly wonderful place. Enjoy. Charles L

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CharlesAllan

Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I just got back from our second stay at the Sands. The building itself is older, but you can tell the hotel is a labor of love for the managers. I couldn't believe how much had been done since last March! I love that it is a small quiet hotel where I can go to escape, yet it is so close to everything I want to do. Bob and Kathy were so welcoming and spent all day greeting guests and cleaning the grounds. It is clear that they want their guests to have the best experience possible! I can't wait to go back next year and see what else they have done.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank andromedari
Reviewed February 23, 2011

When my girlfriends and I first arrived at this hotel, I had my doubts because it was a smaller hotel than I imagined, but once we got a look around, my doubts were disspelled. Kathy & Bob greeted us with open arms and showed us around the grounds, and introduced us to the parrots who were vying for our attention. We were looking for a place to relax and we found it at Sands of Islamorada! The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful and totally relaxing. When we arrived, we were told we were supposed to be in a room that had a problem so the managers immediately placed us into a larger room, for a minimal upgrade charge, and I cannot tell you how happy we were with the room. To make a long story short, the hosts at this hotel are marvelous and I am looking forward to returning to this hotel and having another wonderful relaxing weekend!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sands of Islamorada for week and had a great time. The location is good, as we could walk to several places. We stayed in Room 19 which is on the second floor with a great view, wrap-around porch, nice hammock and great place to just relax. This unit is spacious with a living/dining/kitchenette area and a huge bedroom. The bathroom is small and could use a new tub but is clean with great water pressure. It was a bit musty but that is often the case in Florida until you run the A/C for a while. It was nice to have flat panel TVs in the living room and bedroom, plus a stereo and I-pod dock. There was also free wireless internet service. The pool and hot tub are nice. Bob even turned on the outdoor pool stereo for me one day while I was lounging and sunning. There is a 2-person kayak we used every day and boat docks if you have a boat. Kathy and Bob, the caretakers, are really nice and helpful when looking for things to do. They stay busy keeping the property in good order. The Sands is also dog-friendly, but the grounds are kept clean of doggie do. The only drawback to most places in the Keys along US 1 is the road noise, but it was tolerable in our room and couldn't ever hear it if the A/C was on. Would definately return the the Sands!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We stayed there last week (2 dogs and wife) for 3 days. The room #19 was perfect. The balcony with the table and hammock was somewhere I spent waay too much time in. The kitchenette was just right to cook a few small meals. The grounds are impeccable with outdoor chairs and grills (charcoal and gas). Theres a sea kayak thats a breeze to launch. The managers are soooooo nice and friendly. We expect this to be our keys getaway for years to come.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Great if you have pets !!!! the managers are great the rooms are clean,and cleaning ladys very sweet,other than that dont go!!! the rooms are tiny but very clean, theres a marina there, but no boats use it !!! not a marina as advertised no gas, only a place to tie a boat. we stayed in room 18, no black out drapes,it was like sleeping in the parking lot!!! the room was bright all the time,and only one queen sized bed , a kitchen which i didnt need , would rather had another bed but there wasnt room as the room was small and you could hardly move, pools not heated cant swim, nothing at all to do there, Wont go back there either. Guess you gotta go with big named resorts and cross your fingers!!!! We last stay at holiday isl, that was a real nightmare!!!! so far im batting zero at places to stay at the keys!!! Sands of Islamarada is also very old, takes you waaaaaay back ti the1950era, and thats not for us!!!! By the way we payed a little over 200 a night!!! I would have moved on but hubby booked it for 7 days, because of all the good reviews it got,we wouldnt have got our money back , (he paid cash) so we just stayed!!! Wont book for so long next time, we will try it out first and not go by all the good reviews cuz everyones taste is diffrent!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sarahb82
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Kathy and Bob have obviously put their heart and soul into this quaint ocean front getaway. My fiance and I live in Miami and we hop down to the keys every few weeks for a quick escape. We have stayed in more b&b's than I can count and I think we have stayed on most of the keys. The view from The Sands in incomparable. The welcoming committee is exactly that, WELCOMING! The clean, spacious rooms have all the comforts of today (flat screen tvs, nice kitchen, good spa quality soaps, lotions, clean hot tub and pool....) and the quaintness and history of the old keys (boat ramp & docks, grill, beach, beach chairs, palm trees, quiet.........). This place is my new, favorite, secret spot.....maybe I shouldn't tell you about it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
#4 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Sands of Islamorada Hotel? Share your experiences!