“Florida Keys Charm”

Lookout Lodge Resort
Melbourne
“Florida Keys Charm”
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We had a great time. This is an Old Florida Resort, not the over commercialized Fu-Fu Resort. Very comfortable and friendly staff. I also found a tour on Facebook that really shows off what you will expect. http://rtvpix.com/RS-8857-8YNAOE-01.

Hope we can go back in the Spring!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pompano Beach FL
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We have stayed a lot of places in the keys and this one was excellent. They did give a free upgrade so we had a beautiful view which we may not have had otherwise. The place was very clean and everything was in working order. For those who are looking for a "resort" you won't find many in the keys if you want those like the Caribbean. Most places are "Keysie". This had all the charm of the keys with a very nice clean up to date room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge
Reviewed July 31, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Lookout Lodge when we were in the Keys recently for my high school reunion. In just moments I felt like I was home again. I slipped right back into "Conch" time - utterly relaxed, soothed by the sea breeze...

It's not a glitzy place; there are plenty of places to stay that are fancier but with no personality. Our mini-suite was like being in your own efficiency apartment with a full size refrigerator and stove, microwave, coffee maker and dishes, cutlery, etc. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and everything was neat and clean.

The sandy "patio" on the bay was a great place to hang out. There are nice lounge chairs for laying in the sun, tiki huts with tables and benches when you need some shade, a couple of grills if you get the urge cook outside, and steps with a rail down into the bay for swimming or snorkeling. It's just a few steps to the 88 restaurant for a meal or cocktail if you haven't made it to the grocery store yet.

The parking lot may be gravel - so was my entire yard when I was growing up in the Keys - it's pretty hard to grow grass near that much salt water. I like it compared to boring concrete or hot asphalt. There was some road noise, but it was much quieter than being in a large hotel with people tromping down the hall, elevators dinging, soda machines clunking, and ice tumbling into buckets all night long. Beaches are rare in the Keys so I didn't expect one and was pleasantly surprised by the sandy sunning area.

If you're looking for a place to let you feel like you live in the Keys, this is it. I plan to stay here again on my next visit. I just wish I could have stayed longer; for a while I was able to pretend I had never left.

• Liked — Authentic atmosphere
  • Disliked — small shower stall
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This is the 2nd time my husband and I have driven down to the Keys on the spur of the moment. We brought 2 travel agent friends of mine. We lucked out and the 2 day minimum was waived, the front desk clerk remembered us and upgraded us to a 2 bedroom apt, above the office, gulf front. As we sat by the water to watch the sunset we were serenaded by a local Jimmy Buffet wannabe next door at the MIle Marker 88 restaurant. For a last minute quick getaway from Miami it can't be beat. You can walk out on the very long dock next door where the locals motor in to dine. The local fish hang out too for the scraps always available to them. Believe me, travel agents are not easily pleased or impressed. We all agreed to tell anybody who will listen about this very unique getaway close to home. For those who travel far and near, check it out for a week or even a month. You may never go home again.

• Liked — simplecity, mellow vibe
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2008

This "resort" is more like a motel. The rooms are shabby and the parking is horrible. The guy who runs the place is rude and pretentious. The only positive of staying here was the awesome restaurant Marker 88 next door. Next time we'll stay somewhere else and just go to Marker 88 for the sunsets.

• Liked — Sunset
  • Disliked — shabby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ATX_StephG
Boston
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Having stayed at Holiday Isle in the past we wanted no more of that 20-something, filthy, dive so I searched out reviews for comparable places nearby. I found Lookout Lodge and was (am) very happy we did.

Yes, it's not far off highway 1 but I got news for ya, the key is a 1/4 mile wide so maybe 2 out of 100 places don't suffer from road noise to some degree. The place is fantastic; well kept inside and out and I really scored getting the second floor room overlooking the bay from where you can see the best sunsets right from your screened in porch. The room is spacious has full amenities and couldn't be nicer. We recognized Greg (caretaker) from past years at another establishment and he made the stay very enjoyable and knows the area very well. The only downside is the lack of beach front but there are two very nice beaches (public) very close by with Anne's and Founders park (practically walking distance from the lodge).

I will keep this place in mind should we be coming back to the Keys.

If you wanna get stupid drunk and hear loud music there are other places for you, if relaxing and having a quieter time in a nicer place this is it.

John N.

• Liked — clean and great locale
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
Reviewed December 25, 2007

We stayed here for four nights and used it as a base for doing stuff in the Keys. We based our choice on the ratings in TripAdvisor and were very dissappointed. This is not really a resort. it is just a small motel with a few amenities. It is flush against the Overseas Highway and you can hear the traffic all night long. It is really loud. Quite a few of the resorts (even small ones) have at least fifty to a hundred feet of clearance. So stay here if you are paying motel rates, but do not pay resort rates for it. The location has more of the feel of Key Largo than Islamorada.

On the plus side, the view from the rear of the motel is very nice. The staff, particularly Greg, was very courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. And the place is clean and well maintained, although a little dated.

• Liked — Clean, nice view of Bay from rear of hotel
  • Disliked — Road noise
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family