“Hampton Inn - could they all be this good?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Amara Cay Resort

Amara Cay Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Baltimore, Maryland
“Hampton Inn - could they all be this good?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Here’s the ten reasons (in no particular order) why you should stay at the Hampton Inn, Isalmorada:

10. Tidy and efficient – good layout. Quick check in. Convenient parking.
9. Outback Steak House next door that can be sent to your room. Where has that been all my life?
8. Pleasant staff –front desk, cleaning staff and maintenance – all pleasant and welcoming who say hello to you in the hallway.
7. Stuff – gift shop, pool, workout room, restaurant, computer in the lobby for boarding passes - nice to have those things right there.
6. Big rooms – Mine was overlooking the pool and was terrific. #209. King, TV balcony, work table. FREE wi-fi that works.
5. Breakfast. Eggs, toast, pork products, juice, strong coffee. Donuts. Need I say more? All you can eat. If you’re leaving the hotel early to go fishing, a true blessing.
4. Well maintained. Things are painted, in good working order, clean and functional.
Walls and common areas are decorated, floors and carpets clean.
3 Beach! An entire ocean outside the door. With chaise lounges, hammocks, palm trees and swim steps to the water.
2. Water sports and activities - coordinated on site an delivered outside the facility
1. Location in Islamorada – close to things that matter and you do not feel as though you are out of the way

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank truefeedback

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Lexington Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Lucy was so helpful and nice! We stayed in room #109 which is a waterfrom suite. It had a living room, small kitchen with eating and cooking utensils as well as a two burner stove and dishwasher, dining area, two bathrooms, full bedroom and a nice balcony. I actually enjoyed being on ground floor. The room was quiet even though it was close to the hallway door leading to the pool.
There is a Winn Dixie about 10 minutes away so we shopped there for some groceries for the week.
Housekeeping was just ok. They left plenty of shampoo and lotion but very little conditioner which is necessary for long hair tangled from the wind. The Outback Steakhouse attached to the restaurant was nice since we had a hard time finding a decent meal. I have read other reviews about this hotel and I can believe the possible moisture issue. Our air conditioner unit left condensation in the floor of our "hallway" and there was a fan running in the corridor to the rooms ( I assume because of moisture.) Everyone at this hotel was very nice and happy to help. We were very pleased and are faithful Hilton customers now.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatMama05
ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

First, I will say GREAT!!!
Our recent visit met/exceeded all of our expectations. From our
early check-in ability to our conversation with the Manager as we
prepared to leave was wonderful. All the normal HAMPTON standards were met; the staff, the interaction between the Outback/Tiki Bar/Hotel was great. As important as everything else was the super efforts of the Front Desk personnel in making the stay enjoyable.

Knowing from experience the difficulty in maintaining beaches in the Keys, your area was very exceptional. The lounge chairs, swings, sitting areas were all clean and very well maintained. Congrats to the staff!

Thank you and may all guests realize the value of Hampton Inns and Suites.

5/30 - 6/1 of 2010

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank utisme
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suite Islamorada (pronounced eye-la-mor-ada) March 27 through March 30, 2010. Not only was the property beautiful; the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and eager to please. We were surprised that our room was actually a one-bedroom suite and not a standard hotel room. It was perfect when my husband wanted to watch tv and I wanted to sleep quietly in the bedroom. The view was amazing from our room, we kept the curtains open most of our stay!

The hotel was in a perfect location, halfway between miami and key west. The most beautiful part of the ride is from the hotel south to key west. The breakfast included in the rate far exceeded our expectations providing a variety of hot food that changed daily. Outback Steakhouse and tiki bar on property was super convenient and with 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour an unbeatable bargain. Free wireless internet was a welcomed surprise to keep us current with email and social websites. Even when the sun wasn't shining brightly we still found plenty to do.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank conde6669
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

For my first vacation within the Keys, I decided to stay at the Hampton hotel. Prior to this stay, Hampton had been my hotel of choice; however, it is now certainly not. This particular location was unacceptably filthy,the bathroom was enveloped in mold, and the wash cloth possessed a blood stain. I have posted photographs below. During my first night, I was awakened by two intoxicated individuals at approximately 2:30 AM. These persons were swearing and conversing about how terrible their customers had been that night. Later that day (because at 2:30 AM, it was day, despite the fact that I should have been asleep), I spoke to the Manager of the hotel. She assured me that such an occurrence is rare, and would not happen again. On the third night of my stay, the same people repeated what they had been doing on the first night. This hotel seems to be an informal hang out spot for the drunk employees of the Outback Steak House, located on the Hotel Property. I have given the manager, Kara Lundgren, every opportunity to correct the situation and honor the Hampton 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, but needless to say, nothing was rectified. Because in the past i enjoyed the high standards of service of the Hampton hotel Franchise, I telephoned the Hampton’s Corporate Office in order to grant them an additional chance to preserve my loyalty. They offered to send me a one night’s stay free card, but certainly did not demonstrate any concern in regards to my negative experience. Without question, I do NOT recommend staying in this Hampton hotel, unless you enjoy despicable service, unsanitary room conditions, multiple disturbances and no sleep.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TheGrillSmith
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

This hotel did a top notch job of caring for all our guests who stayed for our daughters wedding. The hotel is clean, the rooms are large and the atmosphere is awesome! We were able to rent jet skiis right there at the hotel. The breakfast was good with plenty of choices for everyone. The pool was clean and warm. The bar pool side was very nice and Outback Steakhouse is right there too. No need to travel all over the place for food, fun and sun. The wedding photographer took lots of pictures on the grounds. It's very pretty there. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The gift shop has lots of neat stuff and the prices are friendly too!
Thanks Hampton Inn Islamorada for making our daughters' wedding so special! :D

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islandcouple55
milemarker80, General Manager at Amara Cay Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind note and on behalf of all of us here at the hotel please accept congratulations to you daughter on her recent wedding. We would love to have you guys come back and visit soon so please let us know if you are ever in the area again.

Warm Wishes,
Hampton Staff
FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have been staying at the Hampton Inn in Islamorada for years and it has always been my favorite place to stay in the Keys. I just returned from a 3 night stay and for the very first time, I have been not 100 % happy with the hotel. I called months ahead to request a specific room, but upon arrival, the room I requested was given away. We had constant problems with our room keys, which mysteriously " expired " daily, and trecking up and down from the 5th Floor to the front desk became an annoying routine. The TV in one of the bedrooms did not work, and neither did the light in the bedroom. I am all for saving water - but the trickle that comes out of the low flow showers requires you to stay in the shower 3 times longer - which would defeat the purpose of saving water. The scrambled eggs which were served for breakfast every day had a terrible , artificial taste and one of the 2 toasters did not work.
Having said all that - it is still a great place to stay and i will certainly be back. The gorgeous sunrises from the dock to the nice lounges around the pool and the beach area, the view and the cleanliness of the hotel is hard to beat in Islamorada. I still love you ,Hampton Inn, but for the first time i see some room for improvement but no trouble in paradise yet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank NovaScotiaLover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Casa Morada
Casa Morada
#2 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Amara Cay Resort? Share your experiences!