“My Go To Hotel in Islamorada”
Review of Amara Cay Resort

Amara Cay Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is my absolute favorite Islamorada hotel, been going here for years and its always kept nice...with recent renovations even nicer! Great restaurant and tiki bar (Outback) by the pool, always clean and staff are very friendly. There is a lot to do in this area and for the money this is the nicest hotel on this key. Rent a paddleboard or jet ski too!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Islamorada for one night and it was a fantastic hotel. The rooms were great as well as the view of the ocean. They had a very nice pool and also a shallow swimming area in the ocean. There were several hammocks between palm trees to lay in as well as plenty of beach recliners to lay in in front of the sea. There is also a kayak/jetski rental business right beside it. However, the Jetski rentals are a "tour" rather than just taking it by yourself to have fun. The hotel was great and we're going to stay there again when we return, for sure a longer stay next time..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David C
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our Stay was above expectations. Will definitely stay again. Everything was Great. Beautiful Ocean View. Will use more of the amenities on our next trip !!! Loved the boat trailer parking, and Outback right next door.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We arrived pretty much just as Hurricane or TS Issac was beginning to bear down on Islamorada, about 7.30pm. We were down in both August and November so not totally sure which month it was. We booked the hotel for one night with our two kiddies as we were moving into a house the next morning.

Our room was not ready yet but understandable as when that type of weather happens it's all hands on deck to prepare a property safely for an impending storm. We just grabbed a cup of coffee at reception and 10 mins later she upgraded us to a two room suite. I suspect because they wanted all guests off the ground floor in case of any flooding etc.

It was a very welcome upgrade and the receptionist was so nice, professional and accommodating. She apologized that they had to close the restaurants & the pool, again not her fault just mother nature. There was tea, coffee and fruit available at reception throughout the night and we just ran up the road to the local supermarket to grab something to sustain us until the morning.

The suite was lovely, bathroom was impeccable & well equipped with all the essentials, the bedrooms were spotless also and were very comfortable. The kitchen area could probably do with a bit of an update but all in all I thought it was great value. We had good fun with kids telling spooky stories as we distracted them from the thunder and lightening that rolled on all night.

We had a nice breakfast the next morning. The staff were really pleasant and gave individual attention even though they were really busy cleaning up the outside from the storm.

Even though the restaurants were closed this particular time, we've eaten there many times and also get take-out from there as we hit Islamorada about 4 times a year. We've never had a bad experience with the Prime Rib! Love it and their salads are great - fresh as fresh can be.

Because of the time we usually get into Miami, we normally just book a motel in Florida City to lay our head before heading to the Keys early the following day to a vacation rental. This was our third time skipping the standard cheap overnight places in not so nice Florida City and just coming straight to the Keys stopping off at the Hampton Inn. It's super convenient for us for an overnight stay and considering everything is more expensive in the Keys I thought it was excellent value for money.

I wish I could remember the name of the receptionist - my fault but she was great and I don't think it was just random as all the staff we encountered were friendly, professional and hands on.

Thanks we'll see you again next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay, relax and get rested up for another day in the sun! The Tiki bar poolside is a very good way to unwind from a hat day fishing, shopping or working! The food at the restaurant is delicious too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While speaking with the locals I told them my husband and i were staying at the Hampton Inn. I was told more than once that this was the best hotel in islamorada. If this is the best hotel, I cannot imagine what is the worst. The lobby and common areas were recently updated, but the room was really old. It was meticulously clean, which is why I gave the location 3 stars. The gift shop had a great selection of gifts and was reasonably priced. the attached Outback had a nice tiki bar and the drink prices were pretty cheap. Don't be fooled by the "beachfront" location. there is no beach. There is sand on the ground going up to the bulk head. there is no direct ocean access. Only a ladder going into the water. I recommend using the pool if you need to swim. There is a convenient dive shop right on the property and the prices seemed fair.

Room Tip: try and get a room more towards US 1 south. I had a view of the service entrance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 11messiah
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a tough one as the hotel is right on the water (ocean side) and has a view of Alligator Light. It was very appealing to me as I write Guide Books for Kindle (the reach your perfect beach series) and blog gunkholing for google's BlogSpot. BTW, by Key's standards this is a nice beach and I spent a pleasant overcast afternoon reading Randy Wayne White while swinging in the hammock between two palms... so not bad. I do live in Florida so I kind of expect this as a norm anyway. The Tiki Bar run by the neighboring Outback restaurant is friendly and a great setting, though the steaks were not so great. The breakfasts at the hotel are first rate. The place has its own boat launch ramp onsite which I had anticipated was a great amenity for me (I had a small boat on a trailer with which to gunkhole on the bayside in Everglades National Park and a kayak on the roof). I usually tow the kayak so I can get into tiny gunkholes. They would let me use the ramp for the boat but not for the kayak. Hmmm? Go figure. To use the ramp I would have to report to the desk both in and out (a fair walk) as they would have to unlock the padlock. In the end I never used their ramp at all for anything and the kayak never came off the roof (during the whole four day stay) as it was just too much trouble taking it on and off the roof every day. It weighs 70 lbs. The climate control in the room was a nightmare for me. There is no OFF switch. You can set a temperature and the system alternately heats or cools to arrive at that temperature. Really a bad idea because if it is 72 and too cold and you want it to be 78 it will not turn off to let the temperature (and give you an hour or two of sleep) rise by itself but instead turns the heat on to bring it to 78. So it blows one way or the other 24/7. I never got a decent night's sleep the entire time. I got a great rate but will not go back there again. Lots of other choices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank brathe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
Drop Anchor Resort
Drop Anchor Resort
#3 of 19 in Islamorada
Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Amara Cay Resort? Share your experiences!