“Three times and I'm Charmed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hungry Tarpon

Hungry Tarpon
Ranked #22 of 92 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the Florida Keys you'll find this old Keys-style marina and fish shack "somewhere on A1A." A true conch atmosphere with many tasty delights, here in this Florida Keys restaurant you'll find yourself indulged in the Caribbean-inspired cuisine, the compassionate people and old Keys tranquility that is the Hungry Tarpon restaurant in Islamorada. The building has been standing since 1947 and with a home like Robbie's of Islamorada, plus a fascinating history, it all makes the Hungry Tarpon a part of the tradition since 1976. Enjoy dining on our bayside deck with tiki torches lighting up the night. Relax with friends over our fabulous appetizers and watch the boats come and go. Stroll our open air shops then wander to our sandy beach, melt into one of our bayside lounge chairs and let the sea air wash away the rush of the day.
Ohio
“Three times and I'm Charmed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Last spring my friends and I were able to have breakfast at the Hungry Tarpon and we enjoyed it so much that we promised to return on our next trip. The portions were large, dishes were unique, and the value was great. We loved the location, the views, and were pleased with the friendly staff.

This year, with my boyfriend along for the first time, we weren't disappointed to share this great, be it quirky, stop along the road. Many times over the years, we had stopped and strolled through the craft village next to Robbie's but never given The Hungry Tarpon a try. What a mistake that was and a loss for us! You can't make up all of that time but this year we did attempt gain a little ground and visited the restaurant twice while in town. Each time we were pleased as could be!

The guys tried the Tarpon's take on the Bloody Mary's. It consists of three stuffed olives with unique fillings of blue cheese, Slim Jims, and a pickle, complimented by additional garnishes that ranged from the traditional... to the 'Now Why Didn't I Think of That?'. They lined the glass and included a pickled green bean, celery stalk, plump cocktail shrimp, and the most irresistible crisp slice of bacon you've ever seen. I'm told it all decorates a perfected blended Bloody Mary mix that didn't knock you into next week but wasn't afraid to dance on your tongue a bit after the juice hit your belly.

There are lots of choices up and down the road. When you are on vacation the problem isn't finding a place to stop but rather finding the time. In my book, if you make time to go to the same place more than once on the same trip, that says something! Treat yourself and check this place out...you'll be glad that you did!

• Visited April 2014
TheHungryTarpon, Public Relations Manager at Hungry Tarpon, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for such a great review! We appreciate you and your friends making the time to come visit us twice while down in the keys. Sounds like you really enjoyed the Bloody Mary and we hope you find the time to come have another one with us.

Miami, Florida
“Try the islamorada sandwich!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Everything was great from the atmosphere to feeding the tarpons to eating delicious and fresh food. The Bloody Mary was also delicious! The only thing that could use improve
net is the restroom quantity. There is only one bathroom and a very long line. No fun there. But all is was great.

• Visited April 2014
It sounds like you and your family had the whole Robbie's experience and we are glad you enjoyed it! We continue to try to improve on our menu and overall experience for our customers. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you all down here again real soon.
“Good food great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Great outdoor restaurant right on the water you can watch the pelicans in the tarpon feed while you Feed yourself the fish tacos were very good as well as fried shrimp very laid-back outdoor experience check the weather first then go enjoy

TheHungryTarpon, Public Relations Manager at Hungry Tarpon, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thanks for this great review! I would say checking on the weather before hand is some solid advice. We do have indoor seating but the best would definitely be outside. We are glad you enjoyed our fish tacos and thankful you took the time to leave us such a great review. Hopefully we will see you all back down here again soon. Thanks again for your time and we hope you had a great visit to the keys!
Marathon, Florida, United States
“Great Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I went here twice within a couple of weeks. The first time was a group dinner, and the second time was a quiet, and early, breakfast.

The group dinner was great, but it was a late dinner, and the Tarpon had all gone to bed. Next to the restaurant is a small marina with fishing charters, etc. Service was on Keys Standard Time. If you are in a hurry, this is not a good choice for you. They were busy while we were there, but it was really a little excessive. However, the staff were super-phenomenal, exceptionally helpful, and just plain nice. There was a singer that night - and I particularly liked that he wasn't so loud you couldn't talk without shouting (that is a pet peeve of mine). I ordered the fish tacos and they were fantastic. I like to consider myself a bit of a fish taco connoisseur - and I would definitely order them again.

Like every restaurant in the Keys you can find the world's best conch fritters here - and they were in fact really good. Every restaurant's recipe is a little different - I encourage you to try them all. Again, they were really good.

I stopped by in the morning with a friend for breakfast. Staff again was super friendly and helpful. I asked for a breakfast suggestion and went with the staff pick - blueberry waffles. It was a great waffle. More importantly, I hate mornings and the staff kept plenty of hot coffee in the carafe (self serve). Service was a little quicker in the morning even though they were pretty busy... Maybe they are morning people *gasp*.

Stop by, I know it doesn't look like much from the roadside but I really think you will like it.

• Visited March 2014
Thank you for such a stellar review! I'm glad to hear that you decided to come back for a second visit. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave us such a honest and great review. If you and your group make it back down to the keys we hope you have time to stop back by.
Loyal, Wisconsin
“Awesome stop on our way to Key West!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stopped here by chance on our way to Key West. I was a little leary at first, but the food was good! While the waitress was taking our order, a bird pooped right in front of her on the table. She immediately cleaned it up and offered to move us. We declined and laughed about it. We had stopped for breakfast and were very satisfied with the atmosphere and the service! We were steated immediately and were promptly waited on. The food was good, except we weren't expecting the sprinkle of cinnamon on our pancakes. (Hubby and I don't care for cinnamon). We would definitely make this a must stop on our next cycle trip to Key West!

• Visited April 2014
TheHungryTarpon, Public Relations Manager at Hungry Tarpon, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
So glad to hear you and your family had such a great visit to the keys. We hope next time you come this way you have time to come see us again. Honest reviews help us make sure we are improving the quality of service for our customers. Thank you all for stopping by and we hope to see you all again real soon.