“Does not get any better than this in the Keys”

The Moorings Village
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We first visited the Moorings Village some 10 years ago and recently returned. We were happy to find it little changed. The resort has one of the nicest pools and most beautiful beaches in the Keys. The charming and comfortable cottages are well spaced around the beautiful grounds. If you are looking for simple quiet elegance with an old Florida feel, the Moorings Village is worth considering. A great place to unwind, it is not for those who are looking for lots of action. We highly recommend this special resort and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank wkingsayw

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Checked into the place and was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the gardens and the beach. The cottages are beautifully presented in the old keys style. But what? No servicing of the rooms? No towels, no cleaning of the rooms. Never mentioned on the website nor in the policies of the hotel. What a real shame to let down what could be a truly magical experience.

• Stayed: September 2011
14  Thank Lewisaaron
RobynRs2, Manager at The Moorings Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Because of the unique nature of The Moorings Village, our philosophy is about providing privacy and serenity. For this reason, our policy is for our guests not to have to experience a surprise knock on the door or an intrusive visit from staff at any time. However, we do offer housekeeping services upon request on a daily basis or as needed. This is clearly noted in our confirmation letter, which all guests receive when booking with us. When guests check in, they are asked yet again if they would like daily housekeeping service, unless the party is staying for only one night.

We also ask upon check-in if there are any other special requests that we can accommodate. We are always at the ready to bring fresh towels, bath amenities, laundry soap and complimentary coffee grounds upon request. Guests simply have to call reception and the necessary items will be brought to the house immediately. The Moorings strives to provide the ideal getaway, where any request is given the utmost consideration while a “do not disturb” credo is strictly adhered to.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a last minute weekend getaway. We were extremely fortunate as there had been a last minute cancellation at the Moorings. What a fantastic fun weekend. By chance - we were there for the Full Moon party. We cannot say enough how great the resort is and how much fun we had at the Full Moon party. Everything was top notch. We can't wait for our friends to come visit so we can return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KGemelli
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The Moorings in Islamorada, FL is one of the best resorts in the Florida Keys. I have known about this resort for some time now since my family and I have been vacationing down there for about 20 years. My parents are now almost full time residents in Islamorada. The Moorings has a plantation feel, since it was built on one. All of the housing is either in a cottage or a plantation style home. My husband and I stayed in "The Farside" for our wedding night and weekend before we left for our honeymoon. We also had our wedding pictures taken on the beach at the Moorings. The owner of the Moorings also created Morada Bay and Pierre's on the bayside, the respective sites of our wedding and rehearsal dinner. The great thing about the Moorings, other than the absolutely gorgeous and secluded beach, is the range of housing options. You can find lodging that house 2 to over 12 people. The resort is expensive but if you want a great, quiet beach then this is your place! The rooms are shabby chic and contain a kitchen area. Therefore, you are responsible for your meals either in or out. However, Islamorada has had many new and good restaurants pop up in the past few years. I would recommend Pierre's, Chanticleer South, Ziggy's, Kaiyo and Spanish Gardens to name a few. The Island Grill is great for lunch and the Green Turtle and Midway cafe are great for breakfast! Also visit Hooked on Books! The Moorings has more of a European touch to it than most resorts in the Florida Keys. You really can't go wrong!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank KKDaus
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We selected the Moorings after searching internet for the "best 10 beach holidays 2010".
Initially booked "the Mango House" for a week and we were thrilled by the luxury of having a very spacious, very well equipped house with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, gourmet kitchen that was set on a tropical "island like" setting on a private beach between the palmtrees. A former coconut plantation this is the place to be for a quiet, relaxed and superb beach holiday to get away from it all. Very friendly staff that will go out of their way to make you feel "doing nothing" all day.

This is not a place for people who expect to snap their fingers and have a servant bring you the Pina Colada or your beach towels on the spot. But what the heck if your own private villa is on the beachfront and the only thing you have to do all day is to think if you will go sunbathing on the poolside, or take the comfortable beds on the beach or just hang out in one of the hammocks hanging between the coconut trees. !0 steps away from your own refrigerator.

Highly recommended !!!!

After going to Orlando for 3 days afterwards and ending up in The Ritz Carlton in Miami we were so disappointed with the Ritz after 1 day that we called the management of the Moorings on went back for another week that same day.

TIP: also visit Pierre's Restaurant and The Moorings Beach Cafe (opposite of the Overseas Highway). Superb dining in a tropical island setting

Room Tip: All houses are very good but the best (and most expensive of course) are the ones on the beachfront...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank kees_100
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Ok if you like the feeling when you go away as if you are on a deserted island then this may be the place for you.. In all my travels to the carribean I have never witnessed so many palms in one place.This used to be a Coconut Plantation, now its a resort about 18 acreswith very lush landscaping. I dont want to see concrete when I travel so this was perfect for me . Trees and ocean that is all I want. I had a house 2 bedrooms upstairs and downstairs it felt like my own ;like I lived there . I really enjoyed it. They have a fantastic pool with great landscaping as well. There is a restaurant across the street called Pierres.It was expensive I recommend the Oyster Rockerfeller appetizer and the MAHI MAHI.
Best things on the menu. Stick with Fish. I treated myself to an expensive meal one night then I cut back next door to the morada cafe. GOod food and great sunsets as well.
I slept well in the bedrooms that were upstairs and I even had a Jacuzzi tub upstairs as well. Maid service is optional didnt need it, I saved money by going 1/2 block north to the Trading Post where I purchased groceries and wife made me breakfeast and Lunch.
Dinner I usually ate out but they had a Barbeque grill left out in front when I got there.
I called to confirm my reservation and lo and behold there it was waiting for me.
The trading post sells great steaks for grilling.
This was a very relaxing vacation go to the dock they have a hamock, you feel like you are floating above the ocean never seen one like it.
The beach is beautiful and clean. The kayaks were always available and free we paddled 5 miles out and it was beautiful the ocean started turning colors and I felt like I was in Tahiti.
I will come back, its really a great place to go if you can drive there and avoid the hastles of the airports all that security makes me uncomfortable. Now I like to drive to my vacation spots and this one was really great . Go here you wont be sorry

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nobleeagle
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Moorings Village in Islamorada is a perfect example of the kinds of luxurious Keys oasis that the everyday traveler isn't going to know about — it's the kind of place that is so private, you'd think you just landed on an uninhabited island in the middle of the South Pacific.
The beauty of it is that you're really just an hour and a half drive from Miami, which means you can get to this hidden gem quickly, spending less time traveling and more time relaxing.
The Moorings Village is a “barefoot” resort, which is exactly as it sounds. Leave your shoes inside as you stroll through breathtaking gardens full of lush, tropical landscaping on your way to the resort's private beach, which is itself a rare find in the Keys.
This is the side of the Florida Keys that you want to know.
This collection of cottages, plantation houses and villas offers visitors the ultimate experience in both luxury and privacy on what was once a coconut plantation. The property is hidden at the back of a residential street, presenting guests with one of the most peaceful and secluded experiences available in the entire Florida Keys.
The luxury is first class, yet it's not too overstated for the laid-back Florida Keys atmosphere.
Villas are decorated in an elegant island style, featuring Spanish tiles, soft fabrics and tranquil beach colors like whites, greens and blues.
The hotel staff is always available, yet they're out-of-sight.
An 1,100-foot private beach is lined with hundreds of palm trees, which provide shade and relief from the heat, depending on what time of year you visit. Sit in one of many lazy hammocks and listen to the palm leaves blow in the wind as the sound of the ocean echoes in the background.
Indulge in a spa treatment at the Island Body and Sol Spa, or book a charter fishing expedition with one of the local experts, or simply relax on the beach or by the 25-meter pool and enjoy this hidden, flawless, Florida Keys oasis.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple