“Surprisingly Awesome Southern Food”
Review of Green Turtle Inn

Green Turtle Inn
Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Everyone knows the Turtle rocks for seafood, but while eating dinner here for most of the week they had some truly excellent southern cooking. One night I had the friend green tomatoes for an appetizer and collard greens, skillet fried chicken, and course, stone ground grits for the entree. Being from Texas and Alabama I was pleasantly shocked at how good it was, rivals anywhere else. Turns out the chef is from Richmond, VA. Guns and Garden magazine would definitely approve. Get the Moscow Mule in a copper mug, also delicious.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Began with breakfast, went back for dinner and both were excellent. Friendliest service in the Keys. Welcomed by a smiling hostess, waited on with finesse at both meals with recommendations that were spot on. Breakfast, two times, included seasonal specials which were delicious. Don't miss the homemade pecan breakfast rolls. Dinner was also exceptional. Great selection of wines and the meal was outstanding. The turtle soup was spectular - yes, real turtle and nicely prepared.One member of our party was tired of seafood and had the steak which was tender enough to cut with a butter knife. Special that evening of grouper sliders was amazing. Salads to start were fresh and lightly dressed. Sampled a piece of key lime pie and rated it one of the better ones we had on our week in the Keys. Music played by solo performer was a nice compliment to a wonderful evening. Loved the Green Turtle and look forward to visiting on our next trip to the Keys.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Being close to where we were staying, thought we'd try Green Turtle. The outdoor menu was not very exciting, but expensive.

3  Thank travelbugBristol_uk
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My family and I went to the green turtle this past week. We have been there before, and never had a problem. This was always one of our favorite stops. This time was much different though. Our server, June, I believe, ignored us for the first ten minutes we were there. When she finally came around, we ordered our drinks. She only brought half of then, forgetting mine and my wife's. I again asked for out drinks as we ordered. About ten minutes later, I finally asked again and this time I got them. It didn't appear that our server had any other tables, as most of the time she was sitting in the corner chatting.
The restaurant wasn't busy, and we thought we saw our food come up. It sat in the window for quite some time. We asked June if that was our food, to which she rudely replied no. After about five minutes of her chatting in the corner,she finally went and grabbed the exact same food we asked about, and brought it us. By that time, our food was very cold. I think it would have been delicious if served warm, as intended.
We were very disappointed and ended up leaving. We have never had any problems with this restaurant before, but after this experience, I think we will skip past the Green Turtle on our next trip to Islamorada.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I enjoyed my meal here so much! I had the Hogfish special, which I'd never had before, and it was incredible. It was plated beautifully, atop baby zuccini and carrots. The sauce was light and flavorful -- you can choose from a number of delicious finishes for any of the fish you choose. I also had the beet salad and it was amazing!!

The restaurant itself is slightly upscale, yet very comfortable. No view (so many restuarants here are on water, so I got spoiled!)