“Pack Your Patience”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Green Turtle Inn

Green Turtle Inn
Ranked #9 of 91 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Palmetto, Florida
“Pack Your Patience”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I have been going to the Keys for over 2 decades. We love the Islamorada area and have really enjoyed all the great restaurants which have opened up over the years. For that reason it had been a very long time since we've been to the Turtle but we decided to try it for 'old times' sakes. It was Thanksgiving weekend and we knew it would be crowded so we were sure to make reservations several days ahead. When we arrived at the restaurant, they did not have our reservation listed. Fortunately, there was a place at the bar so we grabbed the last 2 seats. As we were sipping on our wine perusing the menu, our cellphone rings and it's the manager asking us if we were going to come in for our reservation! We let him know we were sitting at the bar because they didn't have us listed. The manager came right over and apologized and asked if we wanted to move to a table but we said we'd stay at the bar.

We ordered our appetizers and dinner and waited... and waited... and waited. About 30 minutes later I asked the bartender if we were going to get our appetizers and he literally slaps his forehead with his palm and said he forgot. He rushes off and gets our appetizers and when they finally arrived, they were delicious. I had the turtle soup which is as good as ever. It took an hour to get our dinners and while I frankly believe that's too long, the food was excellent. I had the Hog Snapper Francaise which I would recommend. My husband had the Hog Snapper ala Sid which was also very good. For the problems we experienced and we never complained, the manager offered us a complimentary dessert and our bottle of wine was comp'd. The restaurant recognized they made a mistake and did their best to make amends. Can't ask for anymore than that. The food was very good but would I go back? Possibly but wouldn't be our first choice given all the other choices now in Islamorada.

• Visited November 2013
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Teresa H,

Thank you for writing a review of the Green Turtle Inn. I do apologize for the troubles you experienced while dining with us. There is no excuse for those types of mistakes. Unfortunately, they do happen. I am glad that your meal was "delicious" and I hope that you do give the Turtle another chance. Thank you again for your review.

SE United States
“Nice ambiance and good food”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Make sure to reserve if you are dining here during the tourist season. The central location is historic so take time to look at the photographs and get information on its history as a focal point during the 1935 hurricane. The food was quite good...we had one lunch and one dinner there. The wait staff was a bit unfocused but they were friendly. Very nice bar area. Good value.

Visited December 2013
Ronnie,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We appreciate you dining with us for both lunch and dinner. Thank you for pointing out our deep rooted history and the photographs we love so much.
Hamilton, Canada
“Pretty darn good food... but I'd avoid the attached liquor store”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was expecting a bit of a 'tourist trap' environment.... but the food was definitely far above that.
Key Lime pie was great! A bit pricey but not crazy.

Now one thing did bother me, and it has to do with the liquor store attached.

Went in before dinner and needed some candles and a wine opener. Asked the clerk about both, looked at them and said we'd be back to pick them up after dinner.

We go back in AFTER dinner and suddenly the $3.95 wine openers on the counter had vanished and been replaced by $5.95 ones. Hmmmmm.....I wonder why.

It was just a really tacky move to try and get another $2 out of a tourist. Lame. Lame, Lame.

It backfired on them though, as I was going to buy a $30 bottle of wine, and I decided instead to pass them up and buy one down the street once I this happened.

Tacky move, and while I would go back for dinner, I would never use the store to buy anything. Enjoy the extra $2 you made on your crappy wine opener. I'm sure that it will make or break you... I guarantee that this review will likely cost you more than that.

• Visited January 2014
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Matt H,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you will be back.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like our Wine & Spirits Shop. I spoke with the management in the store and they remembered you being there. The wine openers on the counter were sold leaving only the more expensive on the counter. There were more $3.95 openers available hanging in the center display near the cheese boards, directly in front of the counter. The associate working would have been happy to show you where they were. I wish that we could have prevented this miscommunication and avoided this review. I apologize if you felt like we were trying to take advantage of you, I assure you that it was unintentional.
Sun City West, Arizona
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband had been here decades ago, and we were happy to see that new owners are there. We booked a table for 4 for dinner, and I must say that in our week in the Keys, this was one of the best dinners! Great fresh fish. We walked down from the Cheeca Lodge - convenient.
They also have a nice wine shop. Sophisticated.

• Visited December 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Nope”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Expensive menu in a boring setting. Why bother? Loads better places for much less. The neon sign is nice . . .

Visited December 2013