“Why haven't we been eating here!”
Review of Green Turtle Inn

Green Turtle Inn
Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been going to the Thursday night music jam which is a must if visiting Islamorada! Many accomplished musician come to jam together! 10pm-1am Happy hour bar menu is fabulous. If they have the Scallop app, get it!! But we had not gone there for Dinner. Well tonight we went with Reservation for a table of 7 which turned into 4 of us choosing to eat at the bar...this was met with " No Problem" and our table was quickly filled with a walk in! The bar service was courteous and my husband , who ordered mojiito, manhattan and vodka cocktail said each drink was perfect... he never says that! We ordered 2 dinners ,Scallops and Hogfish and 2 Apps Salmon Tartare and Stuffed Artichokes and added the Conch Chowder, ALL were creative and delious. We will return ,I am sad we have not dined there more often. PS though I haven't had it everyone raves about the breakfast too!! Sorry about spelling, writing this on phone.

TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

APeacockFLKYS,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of the Green Turtle Inn. First, let me say thank you for joining us for our Late Night Jams! It's such a fun night and I'm so happy to hear that you love the jam too. I'm thrilled that you joined us for dinner for the first time and even happier that you loved everything. I will pass your compliment onto our entire staff, it's always great to get a "job well done".

There are newer reviews for Green Turtle Inn

Reviewed June 20, 2013

If your looking for a fine dining restaurant in Islamorada, this place is a winner. The chef takes their time to make the fresh local seafood both delicious and appealing to the eye. Price is higher than a lot of the local seafood spots, but if it is a dining experience you are looking for, it is well worth it.

Beachbenz63,

Thank you for such a great review of us here at the Green Turtle Inn. Thank you for acknowledging the hard work our Chef's put into the food that is served. It does really take a lot of talent and patience to perfect a dish that is both visually stunning and delicious. We appreciate all your compliments and hope we can serve you again soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spotted the Green Turtle Inn while driving on the Overseas Highway, on June 11th and though it was approximately 25 miles from our hotel, went back for dinner due to the great reviews. It was not a disappointment, far from it. It is probably the best restaurant I've ever eaten at in the Keys, and I visit the Keys often. We called on the way down to ensure a table was available. Twenty minutes later when we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly hostess who remembered that we'd called and took us straight to our table. The ambiance is casual elegance. Dark wood wainscoting gives the restaurant a pub-like look, while cream walls serve as a backdrop for nautical photos and prints. There is a large u-shaped bar in the center of the room with a couple of large screen tvs. They did not interfere with the intimate character of the dining area.

As soon as we were seated, water was served in glass goblets. Within a couple of minutes we were brought freshly baked, warm baguettes and butter. Our server, Natalie was delightful. As this was our first visit to the restaurant, we had lots of questions. She playfully replied, "one question per table", which set the tone for the evening. After answering many questions, it was evident that she knew the details of every item on the menu, and was proud to work at the Green Turtle. She proudly told us the history of the restaurant, which was a very nice touch. When we asked about the Onion Bisque, she not only described the flavor, she offered to bring us a sample. I expected a spoonful or two. Instead her assistant returned with two small bowls of the Onion Bisque and the New York Clam chowder. Both were delicious, the chowder was meaty and chunky, with the added surprise of spicy chorizo. The Onion Bisque won out - creamy, sweet, with a hint of spice. I've never tasted a soup this delightful. It was our first appetizer. Had Natalie not offered the samples, we probably would not have ordered the soup - it was not only great customer service, it was a smart sale. We tried the pepper sherry sauce, but the soup was so tasteful on its own we chose not to use it.

Based on Natalie's description, we ordered the Shrimp Slider appetizer $14. Amazing. The shrimp are served on a small, crunchy patty made of grits - but this is not your grandma's grits. They were flavored with tropical spices. Good enough to eat on their own. But topped with large, fresh shrimp, and a delicate yet slightly spicy chutney, it was delicious.

After the soup and two appetizers, we were full and concerned we'd not have room for the main course, Drunken Scallops $30. Another delicious meal. Scallops are flow in fresh from New England, not frozen, and the difference in taste and texture are evident. They were perfectly marinated and cooked. Grilled, just a tad seared, yet perfectly juicy inside. The entree is served with two sides. In our case, haricot verts, cooked to perfection. The second side dish could have been a meal on its own. Lobster mashed potatoes. We were expecting "lobster flavored" or possibly a few bits of lobster. Instead, every bite contained big chunks of lobster, one nearly as big as my thumb. We had asked to substitute the veggies for the house corn succotash. Instead of substituting, they served the succotash in addition to the veggies. Another very pleasant surprise! The corn was fresh and crisp as were the finely diced green, red, yellow and orange peppers, additionally there were chopped ripe tomatoes and, of course, lima beans. It was unexpectedly flavored, not bland, not spicy, just perfect. And when drizzled with their specialty sweet cream corn sauce, it was again, amazing. There was nothing left on the plate - it was that good.

We had no intention of having dessert, we had had more than enough to eat. However, they offered creme brulee. Delicious, perfectly creamy, the crusted caramel had just a hint of raspberry and it was garnished with a sweet and juicy large chocolate dipped strawberry. It was an absolutely perfect ending to a flawless meal. Key Lime Pie is offered in every restaurant in the keys, but creme brulee is a delicacy rarely found.

There were even special touches in the lady's room. Scented candles burning, a basket with an assortment of goods such as varied hand lotions, hair spray, mouthwash and cups. Very rarely do you find these touches in Keys restaurants.

The quality of the food as well as the impeccable service, are worthy of a much higher priced restaurant the likes of which you'd find on South Beach or even NYC.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Had the scallops and mashed potatoes with lobster. Scallops done just right not over cooked like most places do. Mashed potatoes had big chunks of lobster in them. Very good food, service average

Lynn M,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. We appreciate any feedback our customers provide and love to know when they have enjoyed their experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you loved your food. The lobster mashed are one of my favorites! I'm sorry that you received average service, I know that all our servers strive for excellence. If there was something in particular that you thought the server could have done to make your experience with us more enjoyable, please share with me. My email address is ocean@greenturtleinn.com and I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thank you again for your review. I hope you join us again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I will start by saying, I have never written a review for another restaurant. I normally dont bother taking the time, but this was so spectacular, we just had to. I will also state that we do not know anyone affiliated with this restaurant, nor were we asked to write a review. We are totally doing this on our own because we feel that others deserve the benefit of our experience.

We had never heard of this restaurant before but after reading other reviews we decided to give it a try. We were staying in Key Largo. Since this restaurant was about a 25 minute drive south from where we were staying, we were hesitating on making the drive, but after eathing there, this place would be worth driving down from Miami for. Service & food were incredible.

Now for the good stuff:

We called ahead to let them know we were on our way. When we arrived, they had a table waiting for us. Our server, Natalie, had a cute laid back personality and a good knowledge of all of the items on the menu. I started by telling her that I had a few questions, to which she playfully replied "we only allow one per table". That set the tone for a nice relaxed excellent meal that was about to come.

Water, Hot Bread Sticks & butter arrived quickly at our table.

Appertizers:

Conch Chowder - excellent taste, just the right amount of spice, super meaty, and very tasty. The flavor was amazing and included diced pieces of chorizzo.

Sweet Onion Bisque - we had to try this because we had never even heard of it before. WOW, thick, creamy, slightly sweet and oniony at the same time. Incredibly delicious. A must try.

Shrimp Sliders - The name is deceiving but the dish is believing! Natalie explained that it was their version of shrimp & grits. I dont think that explanation comes close to giving this dish the justice it deserves. The best we can do to describe this dish is that it starts with stir fried grit patties with a shrimp on top of each one. Add a sauce, pepper slivers, tons of flavor, and who knows what else and voila! An amazing dish you have never experienced before, but will want to again.

Main Course:

Drunken Scallops. We ordered this dish because Natalie explained that they fly their scallops in fresh every two days and that they have never been frozen. Again, WOW, delicious scallops with a delicious sauce. Tender inside, with a slight outer crispy edge, cooked to perfection. As a side dish we had lobster mashed potatoes. I was expecting little tiny pieces of lobster. We were stunned when we saw that each time we took a forkful of potatoes there was a huge chunk of lobster in every bite. What a great side dish, and what a pleasant surprise. The other side was called Corn succotash. It was corn mixed with diced pieces of chorrizo, mixed slivers of different peppers and who knows what else, topped with a sweet corn cream. Amazaing!

Dessert:

Vanilla Creme Brulee topped with a chocolate covered strawberry. Exellent, excellent, excellent.

Summary:

Attentive, friendly service. Even the waiter's assistant was on top of removing empty dishes to help keep the table uncluttered and our water goblets filled. The food... As good as it gets. You would expect to find food like this at a top restaurant on South Beach owned a run by a well known chef.

This restaurant is like finding a diamond in a sea shell hunt. There is full bar service, an extensive wine list, and the ambiance is casual, et elegant. Best keys restaurant bar none.

We will eat here again any time we are anywhere near.

TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

GM,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review of our restaurant. It's so great to hear you had such a fabulous experience dining with us. We are flattered that you would write your first restaurant review about the Turtle. It's a huge compliment to hear that you think we are the "best keys restaurant bar none".

I will be sure to pass your compliment on to Natalie and the Chef's, it's always nice to hear you've done a great job. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you soon.