“Sunday night service was poor - expensive!”
Review of Green Turtle Inn

Green Turtle Inn
Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We were there on a Sunday evening - party of 4 - with reservations. Seated on the porch area at our request however had to move because a party of 6 was so loud we couldn't hear one another speaking. We placed our order shortly after 7 and sometime after 8 the food arrived to our new table - right by the front door after we asked to be moved to a quieter location where we could at least talk. The server, Sarah, however seemed spread way too thin; she basically ignored us and forgot to bring my salad completely. Her comment when I asked 'where's the salad, was, "Oh, how embarrassing"...not I'm sorry, I'm overwhelmed...I forgot..nothing. She did however take it off the bill. We weren't asked if we'd like more drinks, etc. I had to stop someone else to ask for a glass of iced tea. We were famished and couldn't even get another bread basket...the kitchen seemed to be keeping up but the waitstaff was running around trying to cover a lot of tables with too few people. We ordered the lobster lasagne and it was server in a casserole dish (looked good) but was quite 'soupy'. It was $30 per serving and I'd say although the flavor was good...it was a bit unlike any 'lasagne' I've ever eaten. Since the salad never arrived I can't say how that was...the ice tea was hard to get and even harder to get a re-fill. We been there for breakfast and overall had a pretty good experience. Food's a little pricey in the morning, but overall delicious! This was our first time at the Green Turtle for dinner and most likely will be our last. Our tab was $147 + tip (I don't know why we tipped Sarah, since she rated poor marks on service, but we usually do); the other couple split the lobster entree and an order of scallops as an appetizer which consisted of TWO scallops. We also decided to see what they had for dessert and asked our server, Sarah, to tell us what they had...she mentioned a 7th generation pound cake but could not describe it. Her response was "I'm not very good at describing dessert" The dessert menu said it was a family recipe served warm with a scoop of ice cream. So we ordered that to share - however the cake was fresh from the refigerator - stone cold and hard - I couldn't even finish my portion. I guess Sarah didn't have the 20 seconds needed to pop the cake into the microwave in order to serve it 'warm'. Or maybe the kitchen staff fell down here...who knows? We would not recommend the Green Turtle for dinner to anyone we like.

1  Thank MichiganQui1ter

Reviewed March 9, 2011

This place has been around forever and I'm happy to report that our most recent visit was wonderful. Both the food and service were absolutely excellent. One to put on the list when in the Keys.

1  Thank optiontrader
Reviewed February 26, 2011

our waitress was outstanding with intelligent recommendations....great for kids with an extensive children's menu...loved the fish...try the onion coating...crab cakes very good ...lobster risotto was much better than Pierre's the nite before...place was packed and the prices were reasonable...big thumbs up.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We have eaten at the Green Turtle many times, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This past week I ordered a "Braised Pork" sandwich which I thought was "Pulled Pork". The sandwich arrived and 1/2 of the pork was layers of FAT! When I called the waitress's attention to this she said, "...it is braised, not pulled pork; there's always a lot of fat on it...". I was disappointed that the cook would even serve a sandwich with so much fat and that the management took no responsibility for correcting it. We will definitely not return to the Green Turtle and we are seasonal Islamorada residents who normally leave much money there.

2  Thank arnpedd35
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I'd like to start by saying I had high hopes for the Green Turtle. I've driven by many times, but after reading the recent good reviews decided to eat dinner there. The inside of the restaurant is nicer than I expected. The restaurant was reasonably busy for a early weeknight and it took several minutes to be acknowledged at the entrance. We were seated shortly, but we were given a table right at the entryway next to a large group (a very loud drunk group of extremely crude women) and felt in the way most of the night.
Our server was ok. Not great. Not terrible. Just OK. I did enjoy the fruit water. The conch chowder was ok. I ordered scallops and pasta. The scallops were excellent and the pasta was very good....at least for a couple hours. I became very ill in my stomach in theovernight hours after eating here. My husband had tried just a few bites of my entree and had some discomfort, but I was full-out sick the next day and remained sick at my stomach for several days.
Overall, the restaurant was a little pricey, the service was mediocre, most of the food was just ok, and the food that did taste good may have given me food poisoning. As cute as that green turtle sign is outside, I'll pass on this one in the future.

1  Thank travelsharker