“Quaint and charming!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Miami
“Quaint and charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

If your looking for a quaint and charming home-away-from home kinda feel, and not the "hotel-like" stay, then Ocean Dawn is the perfect getaway! With only 8 rooms, it is truly a private little gem. It is nestled in the Islamorada Key, and directly on the ocean. If you know much about the keys, it is hard to find a place that is situated right on the ocean. The rooms are artistically titled, and vary depending on how many are staying. We stayed in the Key Lime Pie room which was adorably adorned, and perfect for two! The bed was comfy, and the sheets were as soft as my own at home! The sliding door in the back of the room leads directly out to the ocean! We absolutely loved the convenience and the ability to step right out on the beach, sit on the sand, and open up a bottle of wine! Their are chairs, and chair-swings for you to sit out and enjoy the water as well. Although a little difficult to find, it was truly a wonderful, peaceful, and charming place to stay. Hal and Susie (I believe are the owners) and were absolutely so kind and welcoming! Minutes away from any snorkeling/diving/kayaking/tiki hut/ etc excursions, I highly recommend Ocean Dawn, and am looking forward to my next trip back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beautybythesea

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

We absolutely loved this hotel - no bar, no pool, no restaurant s(Not Needed! Its the keys for heavens sakes!) An AMAZING room which looked like a honeymoon suite, an incredible ocean view, Beautiful Beach to relax by, great Tiki Area for shade, comfy chairs, felt like you were visiting someones beautiful beach house. Hal & Suzy , the Hotel Managers are completely at your service and make sure that your stay is perfect. We stayed for 2 nights over the busy 4th of July Weekend. The price was very affordable for such a pretty hotel. Not like most keys hotels (I have been visiting the keys several times per year for several years so I know) who price gauge you to stay in a dump, because it's a holiday - not mentioning any names " Holiday Isle" oops! Holiday Isle was charging almost 300 a night for that weekend and it's a total DIVE these days.. used to be cool, now its disgusting!! )I felt like made a great choice and it worked beautifully. I recommend it a hundred times over and I will DEFINITELY be back!

Great Beach on the property to lay out and enjoy the scenery - would not swim though - low water level with lots of little sea life all around - my boyfriend loved it, I myself don't like things crawling around my feet when I'm in the water!

The Village Gourmet (next door) for yummy meal
CVS right across the street
Ma's Fish Camp for a GREAT meal that won't leave you broke! (down the road)
Robbies Marina for some Fun Tarpon Feeding - you have to see it! (a few miles away

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AListTrainer
Naples, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

Very well-appointed rooms, a nice, quiet location, friendly and helpful atmosphere. It was hot when we were there, though, and the air conditioning in the room was simply not up to the job. The air conditioner's location right over your head when lying on the bed also wasn't optimal. Maid service was only adequate.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

On arriving at Ocean Dawn, we were welcomed by Hal and Suzie, they could'nt have been more hospitable and friendly. Our room the Salt Water Taffy was perfectly prepared for us and we were definately not disappointed. Waking up with the view of the beach and ocean was incredable. We stayed for 14 nights and could have stayed even longer, we did'nt want to go home. We would definately recommend Ocean Dawn to anyone who wants high standard accomodation. While we where there we met Charlie and Kelly (Charlie-angel) who have also revieved these suites and I could'nt add anymore to this super review. Hal and Suzie do their jobs over and above what is required and we can't wait to go back and see them again..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pansypotter-7
Near STL MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

After arriving at Miami International airport and retrieving our bags, my cell phone rang. It was Suzy making sure we made it safe and sound and checking to see if we needed directions from her to get to Ocean Dawn. How thoughtful! My husband and I take two trips yearly and I can honestly say that we have never had a manager from a hotel call to see if we needed assistance after landing.

We rented a car and drove from Miami to Islamorada. I believe the drive was about one and a half hours but seemed shorter. We turned at the Post Office and were greeted at Ocean Dawn with a manicured entrance. Hal and Suzy were waiting for our arrival and greeted us by name the second we walked into the office.

We stayed in the Key Lime suite which was perfect for the two of us. I must note here that I was pleasantly amazed that the towels were fluffy and smelled great...not like hotel towels. Also, the bedding was plush and soft, the bed also very comfy.

Hal and Suzy work extremely hard to make sure that each customer is satisfied. After talking to a few other residents we learned that everyone was made to feel comfortable there. Even when lounging on the grounds by the water, Suzy noticed I was drinking wine from a cup and brought out a goblet for me to drink my wine in. HOW SWEET!

I'd also like to mention that the resort wasn't full the first few days we were there. And because of that, at least I think this is why Hal may have had just a little bit of time, he took my husband and Tony (a new friend of ours) out in his personal boat for a little fishing one afternoon. My husband was ecstatic! They caught a few sharks and had a great time.

Thanks Hal and Suzy for a great trip! We WILL be back!

Places worth going to:
Ocean View - the bar was fun, outdoors, Gloria is the best bartender ever! Lots of locals there. We met Gary, a retired fire fighter from NY, and he took us for a cruise around the island, refused to let us pay him.

Anne's Beach - pretty little strip of beach along US 1. Plenty of places to picnic in the shade. Bring a chair and make yourself at home in the water.

Ronnie's - tarpoons, that's all there is to say.

Lazy Days - had a great lunch here with a fantastic view.

Whale Harbor - fun to go to in the afternoon to see all the boats come in with their catches.

Lorelei - the most beautiful sunsets are viewed from here!

Wahoo's on the Waterfront - Let me just say this - DELICIOUS! We started with crab legs and the shrimp and lobster bisque. AMAZING. We ordered the grouper entree as well as the snapper and shared. AWESOME! The view was nice, we watched the moon rise while having a relaxing dinner.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlies-Angel711
Santa Tecla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

The hotel itself is centrally located. The rooms are great - very clean, large and comfy. Air conditioning was perfect, as was the tv with cable. They have no restaurant on property yet (-I believe there are plans for one in the near future), but they do have a great menu with a large selection of nearby restaurants with delivery services which compensates for this. They have a beautiful small private beach and say that they are in plans to install a pool soon which will make it even better! The staff (Hal, Suzy, etc) are extremely friendly... Suzy even went out of her way to help me with some stuff I needed done for my friends wedding!
I have been to several hotels in the Florida Keys in the past couple of years and none have really convinced me to return - this one has!!! I LOVED this place and will definitely return...!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Pilie
Milton-Freewater, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week stay at Ocean Dawn. Suzy and Hal Miller were very hospitable hosts. They were very friendly and very concerned that we enjoyed our stay. They worked hard to make sure the grounds and the rooms were kept clean and tidy. When the new pool, and landscaping is finished, this will be a great, small resort right on the Ocean. While the fishing was not too good, the atmosphere and accommodations made up for a lack of fish during our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple