“Superb location, great rooms and service”
Review of Ocean House

Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Ocean House for a too brief one night stay on our recent visit to the keys. We loved everything about our visit. The rooms are delightful, the pool is wonderful and we took advantage of the kayaks available to all guests. It was a fun and very pleasant stay. We would definitely visit again the next time we are in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SJWanderers
keystothegarden, Manager at Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

You are absolutely right, one night at Ocean House is not nearly enough to thoroughly experience the ambiance of our unique resort! From what our past guests relay to me, five to seven nights at Ocean House allows for total and complete relaxation and revitalization. We look forward to your return and thank you for sharing your stay with us with other travelers!

There are newer reviews for Ocean House

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Spent a weekend there at the beginning of June 2014. My girlfriend and I wanted an out of the way location, and found the absolutely perfect place. I drove into a small slice of heaven. The grounds were meticulously maintained, the rooms were very clean (and included a full size refrigerator for leftovers!). The view? Breathtaking. I can honestly say that this was the most amazing trip my girlfriend and I have ever taken together. The staff was extremely friendly, and knowledgeable about the restaurants in the area (for a nice romantic dinner on Saturday night).

Before we left, we booked another stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShaneDunn
keystothegarden, Manager at Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for sharing your adventure with other travelers! With our location in the heart of busy Islamorada we pride ourselves on achieving our ultimate goal, to create a quiet, unique, out of the ordinary resort for those that want to get way, relax and let the busy outside world carry on. We are so glad that you found us and we look forward to your return in October!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I had the opportunity to stay at Ocean House in Islamorada, Florida. I can't say enough about this place. You feel like you are on a private island away from everything. The resort has 8 units (4 large units on top and 4 smaller units on the bottom floor). It is absolutely beautiful, with lush landscape, a gorgeous pool, cabanas, jacuzzi, fire pit, beach, ... They also provide bikes, kayaks, snorkle equipment, etc. If you want, you can have a romantic dinner catered to you out on the beach. If you are looking for that special, private, quite, romantic, away from everything vacation, this is the place for you! If you want, you never have to leave Ocean House while there! I highly recommend it and can't wait to go back. Absolutely beautiful resort!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy5555
keystothegarden, Manager at Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for choosing Ocean House and for sharing your experience with other travelers! We proudly include all the amenities you mentioned for our guests that want to get a little exercise in, in between naps in a cabana and then the hammock. Only two small tables on the beach guarantees a quiet, romantic setting for a wonderful relaxing dinner. Quite popular for our guests. Ecstatic that you enjoyed your time with us, looking forward to your return.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Very charming. Only 8 rooms. Kind of like a b&b but more private. Impeccably maintained. Staff is wonderful. Modest continental breakfast anywhere on the grounds (pool, beach, cabana.) easy walk or free bike ride to restaurants. Bayside, so no sunset view.

This time the resort's cat spent a night curled-up with us.

Still wish the rooms had ceiling fans and sheer curtains, but those are minor quibbles.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph M

Thank You for returning to Ocean House, it really pleases us to welcome back returning guests! We are working on options for ceiling fans in the downstairs rooms that do not have ceiling fans and adding fans in the upstairs bed rooms above the beds. Other guests have mentioned the same and we truly appreciate all input as to how we can improve your experience at Ocean House. Trixie, the cat, was naughty! She knows she is not to go in the rooms. She is supposed to be working at night keeping night time critters at bay.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Most definitely the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in all the superlative reviews are fully deserved. We chose Coral Reef, one of the two upper floor end rooms and loved every moment we were there. The balcony had a curtain that can be drawn to separate it from the next door balcony giving complete privacy and a wonderful ambience. The view of the sea is slightly obstructed by the palm trees, but will become more open once they grow taller.
The bedroom and large dinning kitchen are separated by sliding louvered doors that we left open most of the time. The bed was as comfortable as anyone could want, and the kitchen had everything we could want. The only think we felt we would like to have had was a safe.
The tropical grounds really are slice of paradise and are immaculate. The pool and cabanas are like something out of a dream or an advertisement. There is no real beach, but if you want beaches you do not go to the Florida Keys. Swimming in the sea was wonderful and lying in the hammock sublime.
Ocean House is on the Ocean side and so get sunrises and not sunsets, but the Lor.e.eli restaurant, arguably the very best place in the whole of the Keys to celebrate the sunset is only 20 minutes walk away
This was our fourth trip to the Keys and Ocean House really was the slice of paradise we had been seeking.

Room Tip: One of the two upper floor end rooms are my recommendation
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
keystothegarden, Manager at Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

So nice of you to share your superb photos with us! Extremely happy that you had a good night’s sleep on our new beds as we've undergone a few changes trying to find what works best. It's hard to compete with the level of relaxation one achieves while viewing the billowing clouds from the hammock! Room safes are something we realize our guests would appreciate and we are looking into a method of keeping them secure in the suites while still aesthetically appealing. Hopefully this is something we can renovate before your next stay. Thank you for sharing your experience at Ocean House with other travelers. When you come back, the palm trees will be a bit taller affording you a grander view of the ocean.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

For $500-plus a night you expect perfection. A backed up sewage system is not perfection. We woke up to this problem both mornings and ended up missing the free breakfast to go out and find a restaurant to use the bathroom. We checked out after 2 of 5 planned nights. They only charged me for the 2 nights but didn't offer any compensation for the inconvenience or missed breakfasts. Had they done so, I probably wouldn't have written this review. They just blamed their guests for flushing things they shouldn't. In their defense, the city is installing sewers on their street (a dusty annoyance it would have been good knowing about in advance). Their property is beautiful and the reception experience was nice. The room we were in, Ocean Dawn, was small for the price and inconvenient since there was no good workspace, and the tv could only be viewed from the bed. Again, not perfect. Finally, there were beverages available for purchase in the rooms, which for the price should have been complimentary. Sorry folks, but Ocean House is not as good as we expected.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wcs-eas

We do strive for perfection at Ocean House as we want all of our guests to thoroughly enjoy their experience while staying with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused you by the plumbing issue, quite unfortunate for all concerned! Our downstairs rooms are smaller than the upstairs rooms so you might want to consider an upstairs room for a future visit. We are addressing the work station issue and plan on renovation each room individually in time to offer some additional amenities. We do hope that you will return to Ocean House as we really do strive for perfection! I will be happy to discuss a discounted rate for a future stay in our effort to ease your past inconvenience. The sewer line construction throughout the Keys from Key Largo to Key West will be continuing until completion. No one is really sure when the total project will be finished. It appears they are close to completion in Islamorada. However inconvenient the dust and street blockages may be we look forward to the benefits of city sewer. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is my second time staying at Ocean House. My husband and I stayed last year and once again, they exceeded my expectations! If you are looking for a quiet, intimate, peaceful retreat, Ocean House is it! It's a little pricey but for good reasons. The rooms are very clean and believe me, I am very particular about this. The pool is relaxing and the beach area has a gorgeous view. One thing that a few people mentioned is that they were disappointed that there was not an actual "beach". I don't think you will really find that in the Keys as most of the waterfront is mostly rocky coral. They have made a beautiful beach area with white sand and lounge chairs so you can still be close to the water to listen to the waves and enjoy the breathtaking view. We are pretty active people so we enjoyed riding the bicycles included with our stay to eat and enjoy the shops in Islamorada. We also took the kayaks out to cruise up and down the shoreline. Ocean House does not have a restaurant on site but we didn't mind because it gives us a chance to get out and try some of the amazing local restaurants. The best part about the trip, and I hate to put the word out for fear it may become difficult to book a room due to high demand, is that even though they were fully booked, we felt like we were the only ones there most of the time. There were many times we went to the pool or beach area and we were by ourselves. I think it's because the guests all do different excursions on different days. Even when there are other people at the pool, it is still very quiet and peaceful. Ocean House is at the top of my list and I plan on returning every year for my week of peace and tranquility at a luxurious hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed upstairs last year to get an ocean view. This year I stayed in the Purple Isle room downsta...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Ocean House strives to give everyone an experience that is worth returning for. We are so pleased with your return and delighted that we will be seeing you again! Taking advantage of our amenities really enhances your vacation with a bit of exercise in between lounges on the beach. We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay!