“"Resort" is a stretch of the imagination.”
Review of Matecumbe Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Matecumbe Resort
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“"Resort" is a stretch of the imagination.”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have been coming here for 15 years. Not necessarily because it's where I would choose to stay, but because my husband had a time share here when I met him. It's a typical, old, Keys style place. It doesn't have to be, it just is because no one changes it. I always stay in the same room the same week of the year, so that is really all I can comment on. If you have a boat you bring with you it's a fiasco. The resort is usually full to capacity this week and most bring a boat because it's lobster season.The area to dock them in is small, so sometimes they are docked two or three across. Coming and going is always a challenge and never quick. The rooms have been updated a little since the first time I came, but not nearly as much as they should be. There is one tv with lots of great channels to watch, but the free wifi internet is painfully slow sometimes and at other times it just stops completely. The sofa was finally changed for the first time this year, but it's already stained and dirty and the shelves by the kitchen that we always use for storage are glass, and this year 3 of them are missing. The rest of the furniture is the same. Last year we finally got a new mattress, but this year someone moved the furniture around and you can't open half the closet or half the drawers in the bedroom dresser and the floor is spongy for whatever reason. Even when replaced a couple of years ago, that was not addressed. If you like boating and fishing and don't care a whole lot about accommodations, this is the place for you. If you don't, you might be disappointed. Like I said, there are some moves in the right direction, but not nearly enough and not fast enough. The rooms are fairly clean, just old. The pool area is nice and clean and there are plenty of chairs, but it can become overcrowded and sometimes the mosquitoes are so bad you can't even stay out there. Parking is so overcrowded it's sometimes hard to even drive through or turn around. Because it's a timeshare you see a lot of the same people every year and I imagine that is why not much changes. Most are locked in and already know what to expect.

Room Tip: From what I have seen of room choices, stay in the first building if you can. It's quieter and p...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pandemoniumaway

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Miami Gardens, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This is our family tradition my kids have all grown up coming here its like family reunion mostly same families every year , kids are safe to run around; go fishing, snorkeling, play in the park on back or hang out in the game room it's not fancy but cozy and special and it's just an awesome experience ...LOVE THIS PLACE

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Madelin G
Forked River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Starting with tin foil on the stove burners, to the broken bed, the hole in the wall, the tiny bathroom with the dirty tiles, the old raggedy blankets, to the bathroom cabinets that were falling off. The only good thing was the pool. The property as most in the area is run down but has great potential. It's just so old and uncared for. The painter was there, two days after he left the job was half done, he left his sunglasses and the handle to his roller.....when I left it was still there. To some it up the best I can, the views are wonderful, the proximity is great, the rate exchange for my time share was the same, the pool was the perfect temperature and relatively nice (salt water). I was on the look out for roaches and never saw one, so that's a plus. Buyer beware

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bean422
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I live here in the Fl keys and we just needed a lil getaway before our son is born in June. This place couldn't have been more perfect. It's very quiet and clean. Polite staff and beautiful atmosphere. It's old keys style. Love the fact that each place had a kitchen. Also wifi and boat slip are FREE! You won't get that anywhere else. The beach is so pretty, we even did a Mini maternity photo shoot. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jamielynn4783
st james cirty fl
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Not fancy, family friendly and no pets is just my style. Boat ramp and dock are certainly a plus. Beautiful grounds which are very well kept and convenient to all of our favorite Islamorada hang-outs. Staff is always curtious and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank scottStJamesCirtyFl
Orlando
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We traded our timeshare for this resort through Platinum Interchange. We were in a one bedroom condo in building 3 with the most amazing view of the ocean. Great for two, but I imagine way too crowded for four. It is an older resort, but is quaint, charming and so quiet. Great for boating. Great hammocks on the property, a very nice pool, and even bikes for the guests. Great location. Friendly front desk, and mostly friendly cleaning staff except one lady. No matter how pleasant we were to her she just couldn't be nice. I arrived at 8:15 am to exchange towels and she announced "it is not 8 yet!". The kitchen is OK but I needed a flashlight in order to check on things in the oven. I usually like to cook several meals on vacation, but didn't find this kitchen very user friendly. I felt the need to rewash the dishes and utensils before using them because things just did not seem clean. Very disappointed to see old makeup stains on the pillow cases and sheets; in fact, any white item at this resort had stains. I felt like they were ultimately clean so I didn't bother trying to exchange them, but kind of gross. I think the owners really need to reassess the linens and the laundering process. I would recommend bringing your own sheets and pillows. I would also like to see the owners go down to the beach and spend an hour removing the plastic bottles and trash that has washed up against the sea wall - take some pride in the property - what a great community project that would be. It was sad to see. I guess the lack of care in regard to the linen, and overall cleanliness is why I couldn't rate this resort a bit higher.

Room Tip: Building 3 has great view of the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank ReeseFL88
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Great experience from start to finish. The hospitality was amazing...complete with tour and tips on where to go and what to do. Efficiency rooms are great but we opted for the ocean view room right next to the point and fishing spot. The pool may not be huge but perfect size and by no means crowded. Rooms are clean, extremely spacious and the king size bed was a huge bonus... Lots of places we researched had twin doubles. My one critique would be the pillows and linens could use replacing but overall this place is great and we will definitely be coming back. The best part is how quiet everything was and you could just spend the day enjoying the breeze, soaking in the sun and breathing in the ocean air.

• Stayed April 2013