“Great Lunch on way to final destination”
Review of Spanish Gardens - CLOSED

Spanish Gardens
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We use Imported ingredients and the freshest seafood and produce..Along with Grass Fed Beef....We put a lot of care and love in our authentic dishes and we enjoy our guests...Spanish wines, Homemade Sangria and a Full Bar add a nice touch with a romantic artsy backdrop. So come in and enjoy our Tapas!
Walt Disney World, Florida
“Great Lunch on way to final destination”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My friends and I were lucky enough to have a recommendation to stop at this small restaurant for lunch on our way to Marathon, FL. We 3 each had a different salad, (Mediterranean, Goat Cheese and Shrimp), as well as the cerviche. Everything was extremely fresh with wonderful tastes. We were waited on by Lynnie - who gave us wonderful service. I would highly recommend this place for your lunch or dinner, whether you are staying in Islamorada or traveling further in the Keys.

LynnyThompson, Owner at Spanish Gardens, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
So pleased to see you enjoy your visit with us before your final destination!!! and where was that???? and thank you for putting in a good plug for the Lunch I enjoyed waiting on you as well..

Princeton, New Jersey
“Fresh and yummy, all home made.”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Limited lunch menu but we had very yummy salads and sandwiches for lunch here. Everything was ripe and fresh and delish. Sangria was okay, not very sweet. Wish they had a few more beers/drinks available. Really liked all the artwork on display. Husband loved their key lime pie.

1 Thank LoveYummyEats
LynnyThompson, Owner at Spanish Gardens, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Yummy review!! and yes everything is made fresh...we only have a beer and wine license so we are limited but we have some amazing selections of Spanish wines...Look forward to your next visit Thank you
Boston MA
“Very authentic Spanish food”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We visit Spain often and found the food here quite authentic and really delicious. Don't be put off by the fact that it's in a strip mall; it's wonderful inside.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank WBird66
LynnyThompson, Owner at Spanish Gardens, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
GRACIAS!!! thank you for the review and explaining that we are still a place to visit since we are in a Strip Mall....Keep an eye on us that might be changing in the future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Love is in the air”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Whenever I try to lure my husband to visit the Keys, all I have to say is, "Dinner at Spanish Gardens," and he's ready to book a plane ticket. We're a huge fan of The Garden's chorizo dish, yellow tail and their intoxicatingly delicious salads. And the Key Lime pie with a mountain of meringue? Love.

We're huge fans. Can you tell?

Lynny and Bernardo are a treat. We enjoy their sense of humor, artistry for food and life and for always making us feel like we matter. Really matter. This is a place you won't want to miss.

LynnyThompson, Owner at Spanish Gardens, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Now that's great to hear that you drag your husband to the Keys and LoveSpanish Gardens cafe Thank you for enjoying us as much as our food you are a delight and thank you for sharing your LOVE with everyone
Vonore, Tennessee
“Poor service, didn't take my peanut allergy very seriously”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Bottomline, the service was poor, and the food was too oily. More importantly the hostess/waitress didn't seem to take my peanut allergy very seriously. We definitely won't return.

We had a reservation, but arrived a little early so we stood in the corner and waited. It's a small place, ~8 tables, and 4 spots at the bar. A party of 3 arrived without a reservation and the hostess/waitress told them that we were waiting, some people might be leaving soon, "and the people at the bar would leave eventually". I'm sure they heard her, and I would have been insulted. After a couple left, she cleaned the bar and did some other things. She told us she would seat us soon, but she was giving the kitchen a chance to catch-up. Honest I guess, but why leave us standing in the entry with 3 other people when we could have been seated.

Once seated she never really explained anything to us, as I heard the other waiter doing at an adjacent table. She seemed to be in such a hurry, and said she might have to go if anyone's food was ready. I asked if I could sample the sangria since sometimes sangria is too sweet, or uses inferior wine. She said "no" that each glass or pitcher was made only when it was ordered. My husband tried a glass, and it was pretty good with a good bit of fruit in it, so we ordered a pitcher, but I would think they could make a batch for tasting, and add the fruit just before serving. We then tried to order a salad, the one with giant beans. She said we had to order our entire meal at once or the kitchen wouldn't be able to time everything properly.

We looked at the menu which was confusing, so we then asked her if this was a tapas-type restaurant, how big the items were, etc. She said it was like tapas but that they were big, American size servings! That's kind of funny, but that's not what we know as tapas.

We finally decided on our choices and I asked her if they used peanut oil, peanut butter, anything peanut related. She said Spanish people didn't use peanut oil, they used olive oil. I asked about sauces too, and told her I was really allergic, and an ambulance would arrive if I got anything with peanuts. She laughed and said the EMTs were pretty cute, so….. I have to say Ive never had anyone make a joke about my peanut allergy. It is an extremely serious allergy, I would have ended up in the hospital, and we weren't amused.

So on her 5th or 6th visit to the table, we ordered the salad with giant beans we had already mentioned, along with the seafood ceviche and the scallops and mushrooms entree. She repeated the order, said the Mediterranean salad, which we didn't know was incorrect until it arrived. We called her over to tell her it was wrong and she argued with us that we said the wrong kind of cheese. That is possible, but you would think the giant beans would have been the thing to focus on. She finally replaced it with the proper salad, which was very good, and quite large.

Of course, then the kitchen's timing was all messed up, so we got the ceviche before we finished the salad. We didn't mind, but it was pretty funny after the whole discussion about kitchen timing. The seafood in the ceviche was very good, but it had way too much olive oil. The scallops and mushrooms were quite good, but again had too much olive oil.

We felt the menu was too pricey for the quality of the food and drink. Granted things are more expensive in the Keys, but if we want to spend that much we'll go back to Chef Michael's, which was excellent. This could be a much better restaurant with a few changes.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jan L
LynnyThompson, Owner at Spanish Gardens, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
We have a few guest that have serious allergies to gluten , Dairy,Carrots, Celery and yes Peanuts. We take every allergy seriously!!! We only use Spanish Olive Oil in our dishes...yes I remember your visit and apologize that you did not have the dinning experience that we wish all our guests enjoy...But thrilled you enjoyed your vacation on our beautiful Island...:-)