“Misleading reviews - great time”

Tortuga IV Party Boat
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Misleading reviews - great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I read some negative reviews about this boat and its crew. Me and my nephew went fishing today on this boat. And although we only caught some small yellowtail snappers and groupers, we hada great time. The crew was very helpful and professional. Some people just expect too much. Complaining about a dirty head on a party boat is ridiculous. It wasn't up to par with a restroom in a fine hotel, but ome on, it's a fishing boat.

Today is Tuesday and we going again on ths boat on Thursday.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Matt M

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked our reservation the night before where on the website it said nothing about being 1/2 hour early we showed up at 850 & the boat was pulling up there anchor no-one called us or nothing & they stared at us as they pulled away instead of waiting I wouldn't recommend them to anyone at all!!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Noelle P
Orlando, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“They Have My Repeat Business”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Tortuga IV is an excellent, affordable fishing charter if you are in Key West. This was my 3 year in a row with them and was just as pleased as when I went the first time. One exception, I caught more fish the first time. Now let me explain....one thing I did not realize is that these charters will take you to the fish, the question is are the fish in season. There are times of the year when there are more fish in the sea--no pun intended. First time I went it was July, this time, it was May. There is a difference in the amount of fish when you are doing bottom fishing over a reef (mostly grouper, snapper). So take a look at a guide of what is in season before "blaming" the charter for not catching a whole lot.

Secondly, another thing I learned is that if you are local to FL and can bring a spinning reel, that will guarantee you better chances of catching fish. If the bottom fish arent biting, you have a good chance at catching yellow tail snapper which fish mostly at the top.

The personnel working this charter was helpful and even rigged my spinning reel. My son was a bit sea sick and they made sure he was comfortable offering him a frozen pop and water.

This charter offers drinks and snacks for sale, however, you can also bring a cooler..and that is exactly what we did.

At the end of the trip the crew filets your fish and throw the remains in the water to feed the Tarpon. That is a sight to be seen. My son and daughter hand fed those 6 ft monsters and that was one of the highlights of our vacation.

Lastly, I read some reviews about the check-in lady not being too pleasant and I agree, she isnt a "ray of sunshine" but that may be her personality. Dont take it personal. You will only deal with her for a short moment as she is not even part of the charter crew.

Orlando, Florida, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fish City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked the Tortuga IV looking for a good first-time ocean fishing experience for my 10-year-old daughter (myself and my wife had been before). Don't let the term "party" throw you -- when fishing, "party boat" means "not a charter," rather than a rum-soaked cruise.

Tortuga IV was perfect for us. We brought a cooler with snacks and water and they had no problem. The crew was superb. They taught us how to use the gear and got us all set up when we arrived in our first spot. They were very kid-friendly and brought a lot of enthusiasm. We fished at four different spots, and by the time we went in we had caught 9 fish (8 grunts and a grouper). Everyone caught something, which is what we really wanted. At the dock they cleaned our fish and we walked across the parking lot to a restaurant where they cooked it, and we ate our catch for lunch!

The only two complaints I would have would be that (1) the heads (bathrooms) were pretty dank and smelly. They could do with a refurbishment. They are certainly usable just unpleasant. (2) The web site claims that sandwiches are for sale but they are not, just candy, snacks, soda, water, and beer. We had brought our own lunch so it was not a problem, but don't count on buying food other than snack food and candy.

At less than $50 per adult, the fee is really competitive for party boat fishing. Other than the heads, this was a great trip!

Bainbridge, Ohio, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“catching fish left and right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went out with my 10 year old son today. Yesterday the lady told us to call back in case of bad weather. We did and we got to go. The service by first mate Ed was excellent. He ran from person to person because we were catching so many fish. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. We went to four different locations and even the captain came down to help us when we were anchored. They provide really high quality fishing equipment and unlimited bait. Snacks and drinks are provided for a small fee. They also cut up the fish when we got back. I couldn't recommend this enough.

1 Thank Jennifer M