“Reservations mean nothing to these cold uncaring people!!!”

Tortuga IV Party Boat
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My 9 year old mentally disabled son was devastated when the rude lady at the dock said we were not able to go because they gave our reservation too some body else. We reserved our spot ahead of time but this did not matter to them they said we had too show up15 minutes early too reserve our spot which we were. I would not recommend this to any one. The lady at the dock was one of the coldest, uncaring people I've ever dealt with.

4  Thank Tanker4

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I had never been ocean fishing. Although we were skeptical because of the price we had a fantastic time. When mates were extremely helpful in helping a boat filled with fisherman catch many different types of fish. I even caught a shark! We had a wonderful day on the seas. Had the opportunity to learn from the locals. What a great dinner we had following our trip!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I am a novice fisherman (been a couple times on lakes in Michigan) and my friend who went with me fishes quite a bit and is much more knowledgeable than me. We went on this trip because it was more economical and seemed to more laid back. We were very pleased with our decision.

Everyone from check-in to when we left with a bag of fish was very friendly and helpful. We also met several loyal regulars which we thought was a good sign. While we were riding out to the first fishing spot they gave instruction on how to operate the fishing pole, how to bait the hook and basically what the best way to catch fish was (maybe redundant for some but I appreciated it). I followed their instructions exactly and caught my first fish about five minutes in. As soon as you catch a fish you just yell "Fish on" and one of the crew shows up to take it off the hook, tell you what it is, and if you can keep it. It's that easy.

Since it was a windy day with the chance of a storm showing up, they took us out into the Gulf instead of the Atlantic. The Gulf isn't their first choice but given the weather, it made more sense. We thought we might have caught some bigger fish if we'd gone to their best spot but understood that was out of their control. My friend and I caught a total of 18-20 (11 keepers) fish between the two of us including yellowtail snapper, gray snapper, white grunt, and maybe a couple others I can't remember. Others on the trip caught some good size grouper and two sharks. There weren't more than a couple periods where a few minutes went by without someone pulling something over the side.

They allowed us to bring are own cooler with beer and snacks (trying to save some money). They have snacks ($1 for good size bag of chips), soda ($1/can), beer ($3 and $4/can, water ($1/bottle), and gatorade ($2/bottle).

When we got back to the dock they cleaned all the fish for us and made it ready to cook. All our catch was very good eating.

This was the perfect trip for us and great value for the price. Crew was knowledgeable and helpful at all times. Read some reviews and saw some negative but found they were from several years ago and decided to go anyway. They must have changed something because our experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I went fishing (her first time) on the Tortuga IV. While it was a windy day in Key West and the water was rough, the Tortuga IV did excellent and I don't recall anybody getting seasick. We fished the reef for a while and did okay, but did stop at some flats on the way back and had a lot more luck. Professional captain and crew, no complaints at all. Drinks are not included, so bring some cash; but that wasn't an issue for us.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I usually hire a guide and was a bit leery about going on a party boat, but we had a really great time and the "mates" were very helpful. Clean, nice, and fun!