Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed in this hotel over the 4th of july weekend, and weren't very happy with the hotel. We stayed in a standard room, and this was a huge mistake, the standard rooms are tiny and dark, overlooking the parking garage, and not at all worth the over $200/night we were paying. The rug in our room was also stained with a mysterious black tarry substance, which really should of been cleaned up before we arrived, and the staff offered no apology for when we reported it. We called and asked to be upgraded to a suite, but as the hotel was full, we could not be accommodated. The pool was overrun with screaming children, and tacky 'jersey shore' types. One girl at the bar was even loudly talking about how her friends took photos of her spread eagled the night before - not really what I want to be forced to on my vacation. The staff seemed apathetic, the pool bartender seemed insulted when I tried to order a dark and stormy, and then ignored us for a good 10 minutes when we attempted to order something else.

We had originally chosen this resort as it was a bit further from the downtown area, and supposedly quieter, but Aa the grounds and guests are so noisy anyway, there's really no benefit to staying here. Next time I go to key west, I'll be staying in one of the boutique hotels downtown.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,854)

Reviewed July 27, 2010

I travel quite often through the year, and use Marriott for my travel needs. I love Marriott and their great hotels. As you can imagine, I am rewarded for my loyalty. In this economy, it is great to get some perks for being away from family and friends.

The Girlfriend and I wanted to get away to the beach for a week. What better place than the Florida Keys? After doing some research, we decided to use my reward points for the Marriott Beachside. I had plenty of the required points it asked for. The website also said that it would be an extra $80/night (upgrade fee) for a three bedroom suite. Fine, split between 4 people, that is nothing. It was a steal, compared to some of the hotels down there. Plus, we had a great view, kitchen, and tons of room to move. I printed out my confirmation, and moved on with my life. I did notice, however, that the confirmation had both, $80 a night upgrade fee, and a $200 a night upgrade fee. I was quite confused and decided to call Marriott.

The first time I called, a lovely young lady assured me that it was the $80/night fee, not the $200. This put my mind at ease and I resumed my life. When it came closer to our check in date, I called the corporate number again. I had a very nice man tell me not to worry, that we would only pay an $80/night upgrade fee. To be even more confident, I even called the Hotel itself. They, for the third time, confirmed that we would only pay $80/night. Are you starting to see a pattern here?

We checked in…

At check in, we were greeted with smiles, received free breakfast tickets for every day we were there (which they did not have to do), and was given assurance for the 4th time, that we were only responsible for the $80/night upgrade fee and incidentals.

This hotel was magnificent!

Great View! Great Food + Drinks! Pool was awesome! Staff was friendly and accommodating! Everything worked and was Clean! We had a wonderful stay!
We checked out…

Guess how much they quoted me that we had to pay? …$200/night upgrade fee. After all of that!!!! Obviously, I asked to see the manager on duty. He said to get my receipt and come back down. Did that… I even brought my room key holder, which had the rate of $80/night printed on it. This place would not budge! They could not even tell me why 4 people confirmed the lower price with me. I asked if we could call the corporate number. I think the manager called the “in case a customer is yelling at you, call this number” hotline. I was told that I was wrong, and that they would have never told me that. So, in other words, they called me a liar. I had to pay $1000, instead of $400. I would have stayed and argued all day, but I had to catch a ride back to the mainland. This totally ruined the rest of our trip, and then had to come home early because of budgetary reasons.

There was no record I talked with four different people, even though I was told there would be. No one could tell me why I had to pay the $200/night upgrade. NO ONE!! I asked the hotel to get back to me and tell me why my confirmation sheet said one price and the Hotel demanded another. No one has contacted me and Marriott still avoids the question when I ask them. No one can give me a straight answer!!!

I am giving this hotel a 3 star rating. If I am compensated for my troubles and get an explanation, then it will increase. I am a very generous person that never complains and is not out to get stuff for free.

Change your ways, Marriott Beachside.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank bdw330
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This hotel by far exceeded our expectations. It is very spacious and luxurious. IF you can believe it, the resort is even better than the pics lead you to believe. We loved it! However, Room service is really pricey. And on the down side you have to pay $17.50 for parking per day. But it is by far the most luxurious hotel in key west! Marble bathroom with a jakuzzi bathtub thats the size of a small swimming pool! Groumet kitchen, Not 1 but 2 private balconies. OMG! We will stay here again. It is soo worth the price you pay. The free shuttle downtown is a plus +++. Daily maid service and bath and body works toiletries. Even had a washer n dryer n suite, so no laundry to do when we got home. Big screen tv's. Im already missing it!!!! Cant wait to go back :-)

1  Thank wgbetts
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights and the 3 BR suite we had was gorgeous! The hotel is about a 10 minute drive from Duvall and if you don't mind driving or taking a taxi this is a great place to stay! The pool is beautiful and there is a small sandy area but no gulf access for swimming. My husband and sons did a great 1 3/4 hour jet ski ride (guided) all over the key west waters and they had a ball. Also ate at Tavern and Towne (the hotel's restaurant) and it was wonderful. Great food, great service and live music. I would recommend this hotel especially to families as the suites are so spacious and beautifully decorated.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ALittleTripC
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Stay somewhere else!! We have stayed at countless Marriotts and this is hands down the worst experience we have ever had. If you enjoy spending your vacation at a low budget establishment then this is the place for you.. We had a two master bedroom suite and it was horrible! We got locked out of our room with the key card 4 times during our stay and had to wait at least 20 minutes for someone to let us in. One time we had to wait an hour... The pool was filled with loud un behaived children. Do yourself a favor and stay at a motel 8 & have the same experience! We also were locked out of the fitness center 3 times.

1  Thank silver49022
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Our stay was for five days. Wonderful hotel, breakfast buffet is outstanding, we ate there everyday. Beautiful suite; spacious and relaxing. The housekeeping, concierge, front desk and restaurant customer service was wonderful. The pool, we were very disappointed with. It was dirty, clearly hadn't been cleaned. I hope that was just due to large number of guests. They were setting up behind us for a wedding and one of the setup crew was smoking the whole time, the smoke kept floating our way. The pool attendant was the rudest I have ever seen, he moved some people who had already been sitting in some chairs for some time, he said they were reserved by 6 people the day before. How do you reserve pool chairs? It was rudely done. They didn't have enough pool towels three days straight. We will try a new hotel next time we are in town, as well as recommend another place to our friends. Pity, outside of the pool, it was a great hotel, but the pool experience is important to us..

1  Thank kywest
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We spent one night at this hotel and what a wonderful time we had. We have 3 small children and the suite we had was perfect. It was a three room, three bathroom suite and the kids giggled with excitment after every room was previewed. There was a room with a double bed with a plasama tv, a room with 2 twins and a tv and the master suite provided lots of luxury. The view was of the gulf and it was sooooo pretty. We only wish we had stayed longer.

Our time at Key West was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family