“Beautiful Rooms, Bad Location”

Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Oklahoma
“Beautiful Rooms, Bad Location”
Reviewed December 26, 2009

My husband and I got married in Key West and stayed at the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel. Our room was gorgeous. Marble floors, compfortable bed, amazing bathtub. The only thing about the room I didn't like was our window view looked out into the outdoor hallway. The pool and pool area is extremelly nice. There is a little outdoor bar, pool, hot tub and little loungers under tents for your leisure. The staff were very friendly, however I had trouble getting room service to bring up ice to our room a couple of times. *** The bad thing about the hotel is that it is on the opposite side of the island from everything. They do offer a complimentary shuttle but anytime you want to go out to dinner or anything for that matter you have to wait for the shuttle to get back to the hotel (It leaves at certain times) My suggestion is stay at a nice place like this but closer to Duval Street.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
TiffanyBoeckman, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
Thank you for your review and Congratulations to you on your wedding! We are very happy that you loved your room. Please keep in mind for any future stays, we do have other options for views on our suites if you prefer to overlook the resort or the water. Though our location is a bit further than other hotels from Duval street (2.5 miles), many of our guests actually prefer it becasue when they go back to their rooms at night there is not all the noise of Duval Street. We have determined that it is a matter of preference for the guests. We hope you choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I knew--coming in, that my stay at your resort would be during a "slow" time of the year. I arrived from Minnesota--so I was looking forward to great WEATHER!

Additionally, I was staying on Marriott points--so I was traveling, rather cheaply.

To the issues:

1. You were kind enough to upgrade me to a suite. Roman(front desk)was kind enough to accomodate me. Igor and Ashley were also stellar with helping me--with my silly/mundane/touristy questions.
2. The suite was simply the BEST suite I've ever stayed in! It was amazing!
3. Your maidservice staff was "first class!" They were prompt/attentive and wonderfully pleasant. Because I had a "private" exit to the pool, I forgot--a couple of times, to keep my front door unlocked--so they could do their jobs. When I called the front desk(due to my oversight)--they cleaned my room within 10-minutes. Amazing!
4. Your shuttle drivers were prompt/timely/and professional. I believe one of them was Billy(?).
5. The bartenders at the Tavern-n-Town were prompt and attentive. I don't recall their names, but they knew when I arrived(early evening), that I was ready for my Cosmopolitan.
6. Donna(pedicure gal)was soooo nice--with her lovely British accent...I enjoyed my hour with her(and getting my feet scrubbed/tickled).
7. Lastly...and most importantly...Rachel and Ben were two of the best bartenders I've ever had the priviledge of interacting with--on a vacation. Ben was fun/funny/informative--and professional. Rachel is on-par with Ben...and(and from a single man's perspective) gorgeous, too! She is a sweetheart. Both of them encouraged me to "come back again--we'll be here." These two are special folks!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Thank you for your very kind review. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff. I especially appreciate you mentioning their names so we can reward them for going above and beyond for you. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Tallinn
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott in the beginning of December with 2 friends, whom which one of them works for American Airlines so he has a Platinum status at the Marriott's. We booked 2 rooms and got upgraded to a Suite immediately. We were a bit confused, but after checking with the front desk, we were assured, we have the same rate. The room was huge! It had a full kitchen, 2 flatscreen TV's, a conference table, a coffee table with a nice couch, a separate room with a queen size bed and 2 bathrooms, which one of had a bathtub and a shower. We also had a balcony that had lying chairs facing the courtyard on the 2nd floor. The great thing was, you could access the courtyard by going down the stairs on the balcony, so you wouldn't have to walk out and around.

The front desk staff was attentive and professional, checking us in within a minute, but for some reason, gave us 3 extra room keys.

Since I chose the couch to sleep on, I called the reception and asked for some extra pillows and a blanket. The room maids came up in a bit with a rather strange blanket that was pretty uncomfortable (it was like a big rag) and I was handed it over in a sealed plastic bag. That was a bit odd.

The phones were cordless, making it easy to place calls, but a bit difficult to make the phone work and the handset was a bit too quiet.

They also have a tikibar, a pool, jacuzzi and chairs next to the pool. The beach was pretty much something to laugh at with a small strip of sand, literally maybe about 25 feet wide and 10 feet tall. But Key West isn't known for its beaches anyway, so that's nothing surprising, nice try anyway. There was a nice pier with a view to the sea.

Our friend stayed in the next room, which connected, and was a lot smaller, but still very nice. The downside was the Internet connection - they offer complimentary DSL, but no WiFi in the rooms, just at the pool. Fortunately enough, my laptop's wireless card is pretty good, so I caught a good signal from the pool when sitting on the balcony, not sure about the upper floors though.
The hallways are a bit motel-like, they are on the outside and you have to walk to your room.

A weird thing was, the balcony doors seem to be unlocked, as we got drunk one night and walked back into our room from the balcony stairs only to discover our friend disappeared with everything taken with him. Turns out, we went in the wrong room, which was completely unoccupied and nobody would probably have ever known if we stayed in the newlyfound Suite. We just walked out the door back to our own room.

They also offer a complimentary shuttle to Duval Street, where all the action is, which leaves every hour and comes back at 11pm latest. It's quite far from Duval Street, so it's hard to get to the center of action without taking the shuttle if you're planning on drinking.

Breakfast was good, they had servers to bring you coffee, tea and bacon and eggs if you wrote down your wish. I really enjoyed the cake there.

Worth the visit!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you loved your room and the ameniteis it had. Our sunbathing beach is narrow but actually 100 feet long! Most of our guests seem to love it, as very few of the hotels in Key West can even offer that much of a beach. Please remember that in your future stays with us, we would appreciate you notifying us immediately of anything that you find strange, uncomfortable or weird. Your satisfaction during your stay is our priority.
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Key West Marriott Beachside over Thanksgiving and would go back again and recommend to others. The property is actually a condo complex with hotel services and in my book it was a good combination for a relaxing vacation. The grounds are typical of an upscale condo complex that are maintained nicely with pool area and a large sandy area along the water and pier. I know the beach is a point of contention with some folks here but the website does say tanning beach so knew going in that means no beach swimming. As for the location, another issue with folks - while it was not as close to Old Town (the action of KW) it was not a problem. The hotel shuttle was always available and if there were too many guests the hotel quickly had another van available so it was no issue at all and very convenient. We had a good time renting scooters for our stay and used them during the day and the hotel shuttle in the evenings. We had dinner our first night and every breakfast (included for Marriott Gold members) at the Town N Tavern and it was very good. Hotel service was not an issue, the staff was very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a beach resort there are other properties in other parts of FL that would be a much better choice. However, if you are looking to have fun in Key West like to stay in a luxury upscale condo and don’t mind the short trip down to Duval st then this is the place for you.

badguju
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Well for my 1st experience staying in a hotel like this the day after thanksgiving... i would expected a bit more out of a hotel.... at 1st i thought i was getting a deal.... being in key west for an over night stay!!!! the room was ok.... thought i would use the internet.... not even wireless like other hotels.... had to use a land line.... and the best part bout it.... it did not even work.... call the operator and they said that they would send sum one in the morning which does me no good since i leave in the morning..... plus for the amount of money i paid.... i would at least liked a breakfast.... and they charged 20 $'s for parking and charged a tax i never even heard of.... and i got there @ 9:30 pm and checked out @ 8am the next day.... this is my 1st and probably last time ever in this hotel.... i would not recommend this hotel to anybody.... SORRY MARRIOTT... THIS STAY WAS NOT WORTH $200..... AND THATS MY PERSONAL OPINION.... i think i will stick to holiday inn or best western.... i at least get my money's worth while i stay there.....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
TiffanyBoeckman, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectaions during your stay with us. We do try to communicate as best we can to our guests regarding the amenities that we offer, specifically, hard wired internet and the $17 per day charge for parking. I'm sorry that this was a surprise to you upon your arrival. The tax that you were uncertain about is called an occupancy tax and every hotel in Key West and in the country adds that onto their sales tax. If you do decide to stay with us again in the future I hope you will take the time to review our website so that you may have a better understanding of what we can offer you.
Miami, FL
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Since we live in Miami, we drive to Key West quite often. We absolutely love this hotel. It's really clean, and everybody is really friendly. The rooms are gorgeous! The only downer about the hotel is that it's not close to the Key West action... Oh and that parking is $17 a day. However! They do have shuttles departing every hour to Duval. There's also the Coch tour operator right across the street. Since we drive down, it isn't a big deal for us to be right on Duval. I now only stay at this hotel when staying in Key West.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments! We look forward to your next stay with us.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This was the nicest hotel.....It was built in 2007 and still looks brand new. It's spacious and beautifully decorated. The suites are apartments with subzero appliances, large dining room, sectional sofas, large TV, jacuzzi's....more than we were able to utilize the two nights we stayed. I wish I didn't have to leave the hotel to work because it was very enjoyable.

The only downsides are: If you get an ocean view you are far from the lobby. In a totally different building which makes using the business center or the lobby gift shop inconvenient.

The night shift staff was not very attune to customer service - she couldn't access the copy machine or have any input as to why the printer wasn't working even when I explained that I needed some things done by 8 am and was told by the evening staff that the night staff could help (I wasn't going to arrive until 11 pm) She didn't even attempt to help but agreed that I could leave the documents and the paper I provided to make the copies and a note to call me at 730 am to come down for it. I also asked for a 715 am wake up call. At 6 am she calls to tell me they're ready.

I would love to return to this hotel and spend time enjoying the resort.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
TiffanyBoeckman, Manager at Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Key West, your comments are appreciated. We pride ourselves on keeping the hotel looking brand new. We are continuing to work with our over night staff to ensure that they are giving our guest the customer service that they expect from us. We look forward to seeing you again.